ADHS Newsletter No. 196 SEPTEMBER, 2001
Items of interest –
- Walking tour of Dunolly. Names mentioned – Archibald Campbell McDougall, Isaac Ray, Robert Ritchie, J.P; Henry O’Brien Daly, J.P.; John Desmond, J.P.; William Frederick Tatchell; Walter Thomas Hansford, J.P.; William Henry Langdon, J.P.; Henry Ison; John Russell, John McAra Glover, S. H. Butler, Phillip Chauncy, James Bell, P McBride.
- Glenpatrick Deep Leads (1934). Names mentioned – Edward Ward, J.C. Macmillan, J.S.G. Wright, J. Reid, J.W. Eskdale, Mr. E.E. Connolly. Lamplough Deep Leads (1934) – H.F. Classen, Mr. David Melvin. Moonambel Alluvial (1934) – Alfred Campbell, John W. Eskdale, R. Thurston Evan, Lindsay Mildred & Co, F.W. Holst & Co., Mr. John Barnacle. Pyrenees Alluvials (1934) – H. Lindsay Connolly, R J Larsen.
- Bet Bet Shire Council (1934). Names mentioned – Cr. Hickey, Cr. J.H. Benjamin Cr. Douglass Crs. Parker, Green, Fotheringham, O’Brien.
- Percydale Picnic (1934) – H.J. Turpin, Mr. W.I. Robinson, Mr. A.J. Dunlop.
- Amphitheatre Cricket (1934) – Mr. L.H. Neil, Mr. C.P. Jolly; Mr. F. Yates.
- Amphitheatre voters 1899 election: Names mentioned – FARLIE Thomas, FIRNS Robert, FINNERTY William, FIRNS Thomas, FIRNS Charles, FITZSIMMONS Thomas, GARRETT John, GOLDSMITH George jnr., GLOVER William J. jnr., GOLDSMITH Philip, HARBOUR Henry, HAYNES Charles, HARVEY John, HAYNES George T., HARVEY Joseph, HOWELL George, HARVEY William, HOWELL Llewellyn, HOWELL William, JACKSON James, JONES Charles, JOLLY William jnr., JONES William E., KENDALL Stephen, LAIDLAW Robert, LOONEY John, LEVECKE Theodore, McDERMOTT John, McDONALD Murdoch, McDONALD Donald, McKELLAR Dundas, MANGAN John, MORLEY Thomas, MASTERS James, MORLEY William, MURPHY William, NEARY William, NEIL George, NEIL John, QUAYLE John H., QUAYLE Joseph, RAYNER Henry, ROBSON Francis, RAYNER Robert, ROBSON Frederick, RODWELL Ernest A., SCHMIDT Richard, STANTON William, SCHULTZE Christian H., STEINFORT Andreas M., SPELMAN Jabez J., STEINFORT Frederick, SPIERS Henry, STEINFORT Frederick J. jnr., SPIERS William M., STODDART James, TOWNSING George, TOWNSING William, WEBSTER Frederick, WINNELL William, WILLAN Edward J., WOODS William J., WILLIS Thomas, YATES Benjamin, YATES Benjamin jnr.
Walking Tour of Dunolly – Members and friends gathered outside the Goldfields Museum at Dunolly on Sunday, 16th September, and proceeded on a walking tour of the town’s historic places on a typical spring day of sunshine and a strong breeze. John Tully, the President of the Dunolly Goldfields Historical and Arts Society, was an excellent guide, sharing his wealth of local knowledge with us.
It was the squatter Archibald Campbell McDougall who named Dunolly after the seat of his Scottish ancestors, Dunolly Castle, near Oban. He arrived in Victoria in 1842 and came to the Dunolly area in 1845 with a mob of sheep.
The town of Dunolly was laid out in three distinct sections, with the commercial premises in Broadway, then a buffer zone of gardens separating it from the government and administrative buildings which served a population of some 35,000 in its gold-rush heyday. Its wide streets have a very neat appearance and the colourful home gardens were all dressed for spring. A fortunate feature of the town is that so many of the original buildings are now private residences and have thus been well preserved.
We began our tour outside the Dunolly Town Hall, adjacent to the Museum. The Town Hall was originally the Court House, whilst the first Town Hall was built in the administrative section of the town. Because of acoustic and other problems, the purpose of these two buildings was swapped. Thus the Court House became the Town Hall in Broadway, and the Town Hall became the Court House on the corner of Bull and Market Streets.
On the opposite side of Broadway is the Royal Hotel, the site of Isaac Ray’s canvas Live and Let Live hotel premises, established in 1856. Nearby are the remains of George Simpson’s Bendigo Hotel, which served the town from 1860 to the 1920s. This former grand hotel covered two blocks in Broadway and almost the full depth to Barkly Street at the back. A huge two-storey red brick stable building on the back fence line used to serve Cobb and Co. as a changing place. Original gas fittings are among features of yesteryear which can still be seen in the hotel building.
In the Gordon Gardens is a fountain which states that Dunolly was proclaimed a borough on 21st May, 1858. The fountain was erected by the Burgesses of Dunolly to commemorate the jubilee year of the reign of Queen Victoria in 1887. The councillors holding office at that time were Robert Ritchie, J.P., Mayor; Henry O’Brien Daly, J.P.; John Desmond, J.P.; William Frederick Tatchell; Walter Thomas Hansford, J.P.; William Henry Langdon, J.P.; Henry Ison; John Russell and John McAra Glover. The Town Clerk was S. H. Butler.
Churches – St. Mary’s Catholic Church was opened in 1871 and is built of sandstone quarried in the nearby hills and granite from Mt. Hoogly. The steeple on this attractive building was only added in 1980. The Presbyterian Church was opened in 1864, the manse being built a few years later. This church is now the headquarters of the local R.S.L. St. John’s Church of England stone building took three years to build and was opened in 1869. The red brick Wesley Church was opened in 1863 and the parsonage dates from 1880.
The Church of England Vicarage was built in 1866 and is now classified by the National Trust. It is of a unique style, being Gothic revival, with very narrow windows. It served as the vicarage until the 1960s and is now a private residence.
Chauncy’s Cottage – This pretty brick and stone cottage has changed little since Phillip Chauncy lived there in the period 1860-1866 and was probably built about 1858. Chauncy held the position of Land Surveyor in charge of the Dunolly Survey District, which covered a vast area, extending to the Murray River. A three-minute walk from the cottage took Chauncy to his important work at the Land Survey Office from where all village and parish lands in this huge district were surveyed and sold. During his time at the cottage, Chauncy added four rooms of brick and stone, and built stables and outhouses. He has recorded that those six years at Dunolly were amongst the happiest days of his life. Today, the cottage is a private residence.
Another private residence was once the Mining Warden’s Office and house, built in 1859. The Mining Warden was responsible for solving disputes on claims, issuing miner’s rights, etc. The position later became that of Magistrate and Mining Warden.
The Bell Mansion is an imposing two-storey brick home, built in 1869 by James Bell. He arrived in the Colony in 1857 and went to Dunolly. A man of considerable character, he became a leader in the town, becoming a councillor in 1861 and serving five consecutive terms as Mayor. His general store was one of the largest in Dunolly.
Opposite can be seen the old police stables, built in 1862, and the lock-up, situated in what was then the police paddock. At the nearby old original Town Hall, which became the Second Court House, we were fortunate to be able to inspect the premises, which were restored eleven years ago. We found a Court House with all its fittings and furniture and displays in several of the rooms off the main court room. Erected in 1862 as the Town Hall, it became the Court House in 1887, operating as such until 1979.
The County Court building was built in 1858 of sandstone, and was later amalgamated with the Court of Petty Sessions. Today, it is the Masonic Lodge Temple and, sadly, none of the old original building can be seen because of additions and alterations.
Dunolly was without a hospital in its early years, with sick people going to Maryborough Hospital for treatment. Late in 1860, the Dunolly Hospital was declared open, it being a two-storey building and in time was set in lovely gardens. In the 1960s, the top floor was removed to meet fire risk regulations. In very recent months, the local people have fought a determined battle to save their hospital and now await an extension of a further six beds.
Returning to Broadway, we saw P. McBride’s ironmonger’s shop, established in 1857. This two-storey brick building has changed little over the years. Nearby is the oldest licensed grocer’s store, established in 1861, and further down the street, is the London Bank, where the Welcome Stranger nugget of gold was sold after being broken up into pieces.
The foregoing covers most of the interesting stops we made on our walk. Unfortunately, space does not permit the telling of some fascinating stories told by our knowledgable guide John as we moved from one historical place to the next. Our grateful thanks to John Tully for giving of his time to conduct our tour of this interesting town, and also to Ron Carless who had the kettle boiling when we arrived back at the Museum – and how very welcome that cuppa was! We were sorry Ron could not accompany us on this tour but a very sore foot prevented any participation on his part. We do hope it has healed ere you receive this newsletter, Ron.
Next Meeting Day is Sunday, 21st October, when we will meet at the Lexton Public Hall, Amphitheatre Road, Lexton, to view the Federation Photographic Exhibition, Looking at life in the Lexton district from 1901 to 2001, and be present at the official opening at 3 p.m. by Cr. Neil Hamer. The area covered in this exhibition includes Amphitheatre, Evansford, Glenbrae, Lexton, Trawalla and Waubra. This display runs from Saturday, 20th October, to Sunday, 28th October, with admission by a gold coin donation (Primary school children free). Opening times on weekdays are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (9 p.m. Wednesday), and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. Tea and coffee will be available.
This exhibition is being organised by the Lexton Progress Association as part of the Lexton Federation Celebrations and involves quite a number of our members who are working very, very hard to ensure that this will be a fascinating and interesting display. If you have family history in the
area, it will be well worth while attending. Who knows what you might find among all the photos displayed. It is hoped that as many people as possible will take this opportunity to peep into the past and enjoy looking back over the last one hundred years.
Photography: Then and Now – As the old photos are being copied and enlarged in readiness for this display, we are mindful of the great changes taking place in the production of photographs in this computer age. And we wonder what photographer Harry Lofts (1859-1926) would think if he could watch our member Murray Little at work scanning photos into the computer, removing any blemishes, darkening and lightening as required, and printing out enlargements.
Henry (known as Harry) Lofts, of Granite Hill, was born in 1859 and died on 17th June, 1926, at the age of 67. He became well-known as a photographer throughout the district and many families still have photographs taken by Harry Lofts in their photo albums
When first approached to assist the Lexton Progress Association with their Federation Photographic Display, Murray Little envisaged working with about 250 photos. However, the enthusiasm of Lexton district people for the display has meant that over 600 photos have now been submitted. Excitement is increasing as locals see their small photos enlarged to A4 size, which allows for interesting and important background details to be seen which were not evident in the smaller version of the photograph.
Murray has placed the photographs onto CDRoms for safe-keeping and storage so that family and local historians will be able to access them through their own or this Society’s computer. Nearly all the former Shire of Lexton is embraced in the area covered by our Society.
November Meeting – This will be our last meeting for the year, to be held on Sunday, 18th November, at the Court House at 1.30 p.m. The general meeting will be followed by an end-of-year break-up, with a Christmassy afternoon tea and the exchange of small gifts (not to exceed $3).
Please come along to the meeting with some suggestions for next year’s activities so that a programme can be organised in readiness for the New Year.
New Members – A warm welcome is extended to the following new members of the Society –
Mrs. Nonie HOLMAN, of Albert Park, Vic., who is interested in Cecil Faukener WESTON, who was in Avoca during 1866-1884.
Mrs. Margaret BENJAMIN, of Ballarat West, Vic., whose interest is Emily JENNINGS, nee BENJAMIN.
Ms Karen KOTZE, of Currambine, W.A., who is researching Klaas QUAK and Susanna DOBBERTEIN.
Genealogical Research Directory – If you wish to publicise your family research interests world-wide through the GRD, it is time to submit your entries for the 2002 publication. Closing date for submissions is 30th November, 2001. For full details and entry form, contact Keith Johnson, P.O. Box 795, North Sydney, N.S.W. 2060.
Books Available From The Library of Australian History – The Library advises that the following books, two of them reprints, are now available :-
“The Second Fleet – Britain’s Grim Convict Armada of 1790”, by Michael Flynn
Hardcover $59.50, Paperback $39.95, plus postage
“Mary Reibey – Molly Incognita – the Lady on the $20 Note”, by Nance Irvine
Paperback $22.50 plus $3.50 postage and packing
“Sydney Burial Ground 1819-1901” (site of Central Railway Station), by Keith Johnson
and Malcolm Sainty. Hardcover $59.50 plus $7.50 postage and packing.
For full information and order form, contact the Library of Australian History at P.O. Box 795, North Sydney, N.S.W. 2059., or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
SNIPPETS FROM THE PAST – (All taken from “The Avoca Free Press and Farmers’ Journal”, Saturday, 29th September, 1934) –
Mining News – “Glenpatrick Deep Leads – Messrs. Edward Ward, J.C. Macmillan, J.S.G. Wright, J. Reid and J.W. Eskdale were appointed first directors of Glenpatrick Deep Leads N.L., and Mr. E.E. Connolly legal manager, at the preliminary meeting recently. The chairman (Mr. Ward) stated that the company had been formed to complete valuable work undertaken by former owners to test the Glenpatrick Deep Lead.”
“Progress At Lamplough – Good work is being done at the Lamplough Deep Leads Mine. The shaft sinking is in progress, and the poppet legs are ready for hoisting. The manager’s office, storeroom, machinery for winding are in position. Generally good progress is being made.
Mr. H.F. Classen, mining agent for Mr. David Melvin, of Melbourne, has applied for an additional area of 300 acres on the Lamplough Deep Lead. The property should prove a valuable one.”
“Moonambel Alluvial – Moonambel Alluvial Syndicate N.L. has been formed with a capital of £6000 in 600 £10 shares. To the public 400 shares have been allotted, payable £5 on application, and allotment and allotment. Vendors and promoters receive 200 fully paid shares and £200 in cash.
Directors are Messrs. Alfred Campbell, John W. Eskdale and R. Thurston Evans. Brokers are Lindsay Mildred & Co. and F.W. Holst & Co. Mr. John Barnacle is the local manager.
The syndicate has acquired 3155 acres at Moonambel, 12 miles from Avoca. The prospectors state the success that has attended boring operations of Pyrenees Alluvial Co. to the South-east and the Barkly Deep Lead Co. to the north-west, and the fact that the Bora Co. – its lease adjoins the east boundary of the syndicate’s property – has commenced to test the extension of the Moonambel deep lead into its area, have caused attention to be directed to the promising leads of the district.”
“Pyrenees Alluvials – New Pyrenees Alluvials N.L., has engaged Mr. H. Lindsay Connolly to test the suitability for bucket dredging on 200 acres on the upper portion of its 3000 acre lease holding at Avoca.. A line of bores put down on one boundary of this block by Mr. R.J. Larsen, mining engineer, indicated a value of three grains of gold a cubic yard. Arrangements now made with landholders will permit of the whole area being closely bored.
The large steam plant of the State Mines Department, which will be employed in following the No. 2 Creek Lead in the company’s property to its junction with the main Avoca Lead, will be despatched to the field this week.”
“Personal Pars – When joining in a welcome to Cr. Hickey, a newly-elected member of the Bet Bet Shire Council, Cr. J.H. Benjamin said he was sorry to lose Cr. Douglass whose retirement from the council was regretted by all. He had known Cr. Hickey’s father, and Cr. Hickey himself was a good sport and an upright and honorable resident. He was also pleased to see Crs. Parker, Green, Fotheringham, and O’Brien again at the table, and was sure they would all get on well together.”
“Percydale Picnic – That popular gathering, the Percydale annual picnic, has been fixed for Saturday, 13th October. The price of admission is 1/6d. for adults and 6d. for children. As usual there is a sports program, and luncheon will be provided. Mr. H.J. Turpin is the president, Mr. W.I. Robinson treasurer, and Mr. A.J. Dunlop secretary. In the evening a euchre party and dance will take place.”
“Cricket – Amphitheatre District Association – Officers of the Amphitheatre District Cricket Association elected are : President, Mr. L.H. Neil; vice-president, Mr. C.P. Jolly; secretary, Mr. F. Yates.”
FEDERATION – We continue the listing of names shown on the Electoral Roll who voted at the Victorian Federal Election in 1899 :-
FARLIE Thomas Miner FIRNS Robert Labourer
FINNERTY William Miner FIRNS Thomas Contractor
FIRNS Charles Miner FITZSIMMONS Thomas Farmer
GARRETT John Miner GOLDSMITH George jnr. Miner
GLOVER William J. jnr. Miner GOLDSMITH Philip Miner
HARBOUR Henry Farmer HAYNES Charles Miner
HARVEY John Miner HAYNES George T. Miner
HARVEY Joseph Miner HOWELL George Grazier
HARVEY William Labourer HOWELL Llewellyn Grazier
HOWELL William Butcher
JACKSON James Miner JONES Charles Farmer
JOLLY William jnr. Farmer JONES William E. Engine Driver
KENDALL Stephen Miner
LAIDLAW Robert Farmer LOONEY John Farmer
LEVECKE Theodore Farmer
McDERMOTT John Miner McDONALD Murdoch Farmer
McDONALD Donald Farmer McKELLAR Dundas Grocer
MANGAN John Farmer MORLEY Thomas Farmer
MASTERS James Miner MORLEY William Farmer MURPHY William Miner
NEARY William Carrier NEIL George Farmer
NEIL John Miner
QUAYLE John H. Farmer QUAYLE Joseph Farmer
RAYNER Henry Miner ROBSON Francis Miner
RAYNER Robert Miner ROBSON Frederick Miner
RODWELL Ernest A. Miner
SCHMIDT Richard Farmer STANTON William Miner
SCHULTZE Christian H. Miner STEINFORT Andreas M. Miner
SPELMAN Jabez J. Miner STEINFORT Frederick Clerk
SPIERS Henry Farmer STEINFORT Frederick J.. jnr. Miner
SPIERS William M. Farmer STODDART James Miner
TOWNSING George Farmer TOWNSING William Farmer
WEBSTER Frederick Miner WINNELL William Miner
WILLAN Edward J. Miner WOODS William J. Farmer
WILLIS Thomas Miner
YATES Benjamin Miner YATES Benjamin jnr. Miner
(To be continued)