Prior to November, 1861, Barkly was known as “Navarre Diggings”. Frenchman’s is nearby, and was originally known as “Frenchman’s Diggings” after a man of that nationality, nicknamed “French Froggy” is believed to have “sunk the first claim” there.
4TH EDITION (WITH INDEX) OF BARKLY BOOK AVAILABLE
“The Barkly Story” by Eulalie Driscoll; an account of the early days of the townships of Barkly and Frenchman’s, between Moonambel and Landsborough in Central Victoria.
The 4th edition of the book (with an index) is available from ADHS Inc at the Avoca Court House for $15.00 or by mail using the Order Form which may be downloaded here.