Download Map

Malvern Shire Hall


The walk commences at the Stonnington City Centre. The foundation stone of the Malvern Shire Hall was laid by the Hon. Alfred Deakin in 1885 and the Hall was opened in 1886. A second tower was added in 1890. A brass plaque at the base of the main tower commemorates the presentation of the clock in 1891. In 1926 further alterations were carried out including a new Council Chamber, Mayoral Rooms and the two storey portico.

Malvern Shire Hall 1885

Looking North


Walking north you will pass the Malvern Police Station and St George’s Church. The Church’s foundation stone was laid in 1865. Across Glenferrie Road you will see Cawood an Italianate villa built in 1887. In 1889 the house as renamed Waiora by Bowes Kelly a member of BHP’s first Board of Directors. In 1996, the property became the home of Very Special Kids, Australia’s first hospice for children.

Looking North from the Town Hall 1909

Sorrett Ave


Before 1887 Sorrett Avenue was the main carriageway to an early property Sorrett. Note the large elm tree on the corner, one of two planted in 1866 by an early owner Charles Umphelby to mark the birth of his second daughter. Most of the houses on the south side of Sorrett Avenue date from the 1890’s. The bluestone property at 1 Sorrett Avenue was built in1889

1 Sorrett Ave 1905

Malvern Central School


Turn left into Haverbrack Ave. Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies lived at No 2. Proceed east and then turn south at Spring Road. Ahead you will see Malvern Central School . Established in 1875 as Malvern State School, Malvern Central School is the oldest school in the Malvern district. Prior to 1875 classes were held in the old courthouse and the schoolhouse at St George’s Church. The present building dates from 1891

The School in Spring Road c 1891

Malvern Gardens


The Malvern Garden’s Centenary plaque can be found on the Ascot Street gates. Laid out by Thomas Pockett in 1888 and known locally as the Spring Road Gardens, these are Malvern’s oldest public gardens. The official opening took place in 1890. The ceremony was performed with a gold key, set with a heart shaped opal, to open the massive wooden gates which had been locked with silver and gold chains.

Malvern Gardens c 1900

Fountain in Malvern Gardens


Follow the pathway to the pond. This area had been a water reservation since 1856. The natural spring, used by the Wurundjeri people, supplied the developing suburb with water prior to the Yan Yean scheme being implemented in 1869. The ponds’s artistic grotto work was designed by C.Robinette. Continue west along High Street.

Fountain in Malvern Gardens c 1910

Northbrook


Northbrook, a Victorian Italianate villa located behind the Malvern Library, was built for auctioneer and Shire Councillor Donald Munro in 1888-1889 to the design of Charles D’Ebro.It is classified by the National Trust of Aust(Vic) The mulberry tree in front of Northbrook grew from a cutting taken from a tree planted in Malvern, England by noted playwright George Bernard Shaw. The Northbrook Art Garden was completed in1990

Northbrook 1929