John Gardiner was a member of the first overland trip from N.S.W. to Port Phillip in 1835. He selected a suitable place for his cattle run close to the Yarra River and in the vicinity of a creek now bearing his name, Gardiners Creek Information on the original inhabitants, the landscape and Melbourne's history can be found on the FAQ page.


The first sale of land by the Crown in the area took place on 10 June 1840 when land bounded by Kooyong Road, Gardiners Creek. Gardiners Creek Road (Toorak Road) and Glenferrie Road was sold.


The Wattletree Hotel, erected prior to 1855, was the venue for the first meeting of the Gardiner Road Board in November 1856.


The foundation stone of the Malvern Shire Hall was laid by the Hon. Alfred Deakin in 1885. On 26 July 1886 a large crowd witnessed the opening ceremony.


The Prahran & Malvern Tramways Trust was formed in 1908 to construct and operate Municipal electric tramways. The first official tram left the Malvern Tram Depot on 30 May 1910


The public proclamation of the Town of Malvern becoming the City of Malvern took place in the Malvern Gardens on the afternoon of 30 May 1911. The Mayor, Cr Alex McKinley can be seen standing on a raised platform.