1837
John Gardiner selected a cattle run in the area and built a house just north of the junction of the Yarra River and Kooyong Koot Creek (later to be known as Gardiners Creek).


1839
James McAlpine settled in the area and his son’s baptism in 1840 is recorded in early Melbourne church records.


1840
The first sale of Crown Land occurred on 10 June; four lots, with a total of 245 acres extending south from Kooyong Koot Creek (Gardiners Creek) were sold.


1849
The second sale of Crown Land occurred on 27 June, in the area bounded by Kooyong Road, Gardiners Creek Road (now Toorak Road), Malvern Road and Tooronga Road.


1854
Land Sales in Gardiner Township. First school began in a four-roomed cottage in Malvern Road not far from Elizabeth Street. The school master was David Stevenson who had just arrived from England


1856
Inception of the Gardiner District Road Board. The boundaries of the first District (Kooyong Road, Gardiner’s Creek, Warrigal Road and Dandenong Road) have always remained the same. First road works started by the Road Board - the construction of Malvern Hill Road (later called Hopetoun Road) A public auction was held on 27 November. 90 lots owned by Charles Skinner, were described in the auction advertisement as ‘Freehold properties in the Township of Ledbury, Parish of Prahran, Malvern Hill Estate’.


1857
A government grant was obtained for the construction of a non-denominational School building in Glenferrie Road for the Anglican Church.


1858
Holy Trinity Church built at the corner of Dandenong and Warrigal Roads, the first permanent brick church in the former City of Malvern.


1862
Victoria’s first bowling green at the Gardiner Hotel (cnr Glenferrie and Dandenong Roads)


1864
First toll house erected on Scotchman’s Creek Road (later known as Waverley Road) by the Road Board.


1869
First water pipe supplied water to a part of the town from the Yan Yean Reservoir.


1871
Gardiner Road Board became the Gardiner Shire Council. According to the Melbourne Directory the population of the Gardiner District numbered about 68 persons.


1873
James Munro (President of the Shire Council) moved that council employees should only have to work an eight hour day (present rate was 9 hours for a wage of 6/-); his motion was defeated, it was regarded as too revolutionary.


1875
Spring Road State School opened in a new two-roomed brick building.


1878
Name of Gardiner changed to Malvern.


1879
First train passed through Malvern Station.


1884
First asphalt footpath laid in Malvern


1885
Hon Alfred Deakin laid the foundation stone of the Shire Hall.


1886
Official opening of the Town Hall (Shire Hall).


1888
Malvern Gardens laid out by Thomas Pockett. Construction of Methodist Church in Spring Road.


1889
At the beginning of this year it was recorded that in the past twelve months Malvern’s rateable property had increased in value by 62,000 pounds. The Shire Hall was extended in a northerly direction and the second tower built. Foundation stone of St Joseph’s Catholic Church laid. Northbrook built for Councillor Donald Munro.


1890
Stonington built for John Wagner. Railway line extended from Burnley to Glen Iris. Malvern Gardens officially opened by Duncan Gillies, MP.


1891
The southern tower of the Town Hall was redesigned and strengthened to contain a clock, a gift from the Shire President, Cr Alex McKinley.


1891
One hundred notable Melbourne men formed the Melbourne Golf Club and obtained permissive occupancy of two pieces of land in East Malvern for an 18 hole golf course. The Club moved to Black Rock in 1901 and the course was taken over by the Caulfield Golf Club, later Metropolitan Golf Club.


1900
Demonstration at Malvern’s Town Hall to support Women’s Suffrage.


1901
Sir George Sydenham Clark became the first of the Victorian Governors to take up residence at Stonington. Malvern Progress Association formed. Malvern became a Borough in February and a Town in April.


1907
State Parliament passed the Prahran and Malvern Trust Constitution Bill opening the way for tramway construction. Land acquired by Council for Central Park.


1910
First tram lines opened in Malvern, first tram car left the depot in Coldblo Road on 30 May.


1911
Malvern declared a City. Inauguration of the Malvern Municipal Band. Tooronga Progress League formed.


1912
Land acquired by Council for Hedgeley Dene Gardens.


1914
Outbreak of World War I. Malvern organizations, especially Red Cross, began patriotic war work which continued for the next four years.


1919
Influenza epidemic, over 2,000 cases in Malvern.


1920
Kooyong Tennis Courts became the home of the Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria.


1922
Electrification of railway line.


1924
Mayor opened a begonia show using wireless, a first in Australia.


1926
Portico added to the Malvern Town Hall.


1927
Municipal Swimming Pool opened (on the site of the present Harold Holt Swim Centre).


1928
Malvern Baby Health Centre opened in Barkly Avenue.


1930
Beginning of economic depression. 800 local families were on Government sustenance, 14% of population. Railway line extended from East Malvern to Glen Waverley.


1931
The last of the Governors to live at Stonnington. Lord Somers in residence June 1926 - June 1931.


1934
Large area in vicinity of Gardiners Creek severely flooded and Toorak Road bridge swept away.


1939-1945
World War II. Malvern organizations involved in war work.


1956
Centenary celebrations of the establishment of Local Government in Malvern.


1957
Construction of Cabrini Hospital to replace the old St Benedict’s hospital


1959
Opening of Malvern Library in High Street.


1960
Chadstone Shopping Centre opened.


1964
Chadstone Library opened in Bowen Street.


1969
Opening of Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Pool on original Municipal pool site in High Street.


1973
First issue Malvern News Sheet.


1979
Cr Ann Morrow elected as Malvern’s first female mayor.


1983
Announcement that the South Eastern and Mulgrave Freeways would be linked by a 4 lane divided arterial road.


1988
Official opening of second and final stage of Malvern Valley Golf Course. Gargoyle chosen as new Corporate Logo for the City of Malvern. Premier John Cain opened final section of South Eastern Arterial Road Link


1989
‘Urban Character Study’ released. First Pool Party at Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Centre. Gala Opening of Malvern City Square. Launch of ‘Private and Public Memory’ by Lynne Strahan. Official Opening and Family Fun Day at Dairy Park. Opening of Northbrook Art Garden. Internal refurbishment of Town Hall.


1990
First Land Sales plaque unveiled in Kooyong Gardens. Dunlop Pavilion and Peverill Park officially opened. Inaugural City of Malvern Building Design Awards. Malvern Gardens Centenary Plaque unveiled. Major construction work at Percy Treyvaud Park.


1991
Governor Dr Davis McCaughey opened Olive Miller Nursing Home for Malvern Elderly Citizens’ Welfare Association [MECWA]. Darling Park, Glen Iris Park, T.H. King Pavilion and Glen Iris Wetlands officially opened. Old Fire Station (Willis Street) - opening of the Community Print Workshop. The name of the part of Malvern known as ‘Chadstone’ changed to ‘East Malvern’. Bible College Site in Elm Road leased and later sold to MECWA. Chadstone High School closed


1992
‘Malvern Heritage Study’ released. Cenotaph moved from Town Hall corner to Central Park. First performance on the Compton Pipe Organ in the Town Hall. Commencement of Malvern Emergency Food Relief Service. Gardiner Primary School closed.


1993
Council purchased the Chadstone High School site. ‘The Literature of Malvern - A Bibliography’ by Ian McLaren launched. Malvern Historical Society celebrates 21 years. Kildara Convent and School closed


1994
Final Meeting of Malvern Council. 22nd June Malvern City Council ceased to exist. Under the powers contained in the Local Government Act 1989, the Governor in Council abolished the municipal districts of the City of Malvern and the City of Prahran, and in lieu created a new municipality, the City of Stonnington. Appointment of 3 Commissioners to administer the municipality


1995
‘Greetings from Malvern’ by Jane Nigro and Di Foster launched.


1996
Election of first Stonnington City Council. 85th Anniversary of the Malvern Bowling Club


1997
The oval at Central Park renamed the ‘John Landy’ Oval. Completion of the restoration of the Conservatory at Central Park. 75th anniversary of the East Malvern Cricket Club.


1998
New Stonnington ward boundaries approved. Opening of the Wattletree Early Childhood Centre


1999
MECWA Community Care’s 40th anniversary


2000
Final issue of ‘Stonnington Community News’ The first 25 Federation markers approved


2001
Federation Fair held at Stonington


2002
Opening of Phoenix Park Library


2004
‘10th Anniversary of the City of Stonnington’ calendar


2005
Opening of refurbished Malvern Library. Publication of ‘History of Malvern: A Supplement 1988-1994’by Alleyn Best


2006
150th Anniversary of Municipal History in the areas formerly known as the Gardiner Road District, Malvern Council, and Prahran Council, now know as the City of Stonnington.