Cullen’s Cottage


The Cullen family in Gertrude Street (Denham Place), 1882.

Cullen’s Cottage 1882

Kooyong Tennis Stadium


The Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria (LTAV) was formed in 1892. In 1920, to accommodate the growing popularity of the game, a seventeen acre (6.8 hectares) site was purchased in the suburb of Kooyong. Twenty lawn courts were laid out and in 1922 the clubhouse was built to the design of architects Ballantyne & Hare. The reinforced concrete stand, designed by engineer James Knox, originally provided 5,500 seats and was opened by champion player (Sir) Norman Brookes in 1927. The northern stand extension was constructed in 1934, just prior to massive floods, which submerged the original stand. The Kooyong courts were graced by a succession of international players and Kooyong began its long association with the Australian Championships in 1927, hosting the event in most years until 1987. Kooyong also had strong links to the Davis Cup Challenge - hosting the event on seven occasions from 1946. The Kooyong Classic is held each January as a lead up to the Australian Open and regularly attracts leading international players and maintains the Club's tradition as an internationally significant tennis venue.


Kooyong Tennis Stadium 1934

The Vice Regal Residence Stonington 1935


View looking north-west towards Stonington, (at that time St Margaret's School for Girls), and Moorakyne'. Both mansions faced Glenferrie Road and looked east towards the Dandenongs. More information available under FAQ

The Vice Regal Residence Stonington 1935

Grosvenor


Grosvenor was a fine two storey Italianate mansion with a colonnaded verandah on three sides. Extensive gardens surround the house with very large mature trees and a garden pavilion. Irish born George Meares purchased 15 acres of land on the corner of Glenferrie Road and Toorak Road in 1883. In 1872, Meares had retired a wealthy man from a successful drapery business and with investments in property. On his land at the corner of Toorak Road, Grosvenor, a mansion of twenty rooms, was built at a cost of £5000 to the design of architects Billing & Son. Meares had been widowed in 1875 when his wife Sarah died leaving him with six children. During the family‘s extended visit home to Ireland in 1888 the mansion was leased and two years later Grosvenor ‘was very beautifully decorated with flowers’ for the wedding of Meares’ eldest daughter Nellie to Henry Andrews in the ballroom. Despite being the largest shareholder and Chairman of the Commercial Bank in 1892, its most critical and disastrous year, Meares remained solvent and lived at Grovenor until his death in 1903 when the estate was transferred to his daughter, Nellie Andrews. Wheat was grown on the Bruce Street paddock and an Irishman tended the vegetables and milked the family cow


Grosvenor 1919