J&DHS Inc. 2000
JAMIESON PS 814 (1865)
taught the first classes in Jamieson in a slab hut during
the early 1860s but his application for recognition and aid
as a Common School was refused.
other committee members, Father Courtney had also applied
for aid and, on 31st May 1865 his claim was recognised. As
he had the classroom and the students, Roman Catholic School
788 was officially recognised and, the other application was
refused causing bad feeling in the town.
school, built on the south-eastern corner of the block, was
an 18x30 foot, 1 room, timber building with a shingle roof
and brick chimney, completed on 16th September 1867 at a
cost of 150 pound ($300).
By 1873 Mr John
Dunkerly, with only his wife Hannah to assist him, was
teaching 121 pupils and desperately needed more space.
Mr Joseph Webb, who was the Head Teacher by now, conducted the opening ceremonies much to the annoyance of the School Council, who felt they should have been permitted to show their appreciation to the Department for building such a noble edifice.
This school has had some keen and energetic teachers over
the years among them were Frank Wood, Head Teacher in 1910,
who planted a magnificent garden at his own expense,
including a range of bulbs, perennials, shrubs and over 200
varieties of roses.
Mr Bavinton started a plantation of Walnut trees in 1925 but they were unsuccessful. When local resident, Mr Padge Seymour, became Head Teacher he replaced them with 100 pines in 1927. The pines were harvested in the 1960s and the Arboretum stands on the old plantation site today. In the 1930s Mr Lewis had the pupils growing their own vegetables in a garden planted along the river bank; then in 1946 Mr Stocks formed a Young Farmers Club for the students.
A far cry from the boom days, Jamieson PS 814 reflected
the decline of the town as attendance dropped off. But
things are looking up, once again the enrolments are
growing. Pupil roll today (2010) is 20 students with 2 full
time teachers, compared to the 12 students enrolled in 2001.
In October 1990 a school reunion was organised, past
pupils and teachers from all over the country accepted the
invitation to return to their old school.
Jamieson PS 814 has now raced into the 21st Century, no
longer disadvantaged by distance or lack of facilities, as
was the case in earlier days.
I wonder when the capsule is opened, will Jamieson PS 814 still be in existence and how will future generations view this little school in the bush.
Accommodation for teachers was not a high
priority in the 1860s when the first school was built,
teachers were expected to find their own, in private homes
By 1888 the Head Teacher was Mr. Ullyett.
His request for accommodation was met by a Department
suggestion that the school be partitioned to provide
From left: Mr Ullyett, Mr Bavinton, Mr Stocks
In 1909 Mr. Frank Wood took over as
teacher. He requested a wash-house and bathroom be
provided: the washing was being done in kerosene tins in
the kitchen, they were unable to light the copper outside
as it was too wet. There was no bath of any kind. Mr. Wood
requested the verandah be partitioned off to form a
bathroom, his request was denied as funds are only
available for urgent works.
In 1945, despite the fact that requested
work had still not been done, the Department decided the
house was to be plastered and the rent increased.