J&DHS Inc. 2000
Above Left: Allens Hotel Darlingford 2855. Right Darlingford c1920
Situated at the junction of the Goulburn and Big Rivers, Darlingford was named for Governor Darling, the town was flooded when first wall was built across the valley between1914-27, to provide water for irrigation & power generation creating Sugarloaf Dam.
By the 1940s it became apparent the wall was not safe and more water was needed for irrigation, work commenced in 1951 on a larger stronger wall to increase the capacity of the dam, creating what is now Lake Eildon.
One of the tasks to be carried out before the valley was flooded was the removal of those buried in the old Darlingford Cemetery and their re internment in the Jamieson, Eildon and Mansfield cemeteries.
Located upstream from Darlingford on Big River, this early settlement site was named for Enoch Hall, an old prospector known to have lived here in 1855.
Populated today by a few holiday houses, indications of the existence of this once thriving gold town can be seen in the alluvial diggings which line the river bank, the old cemetery with its handful of graves and the dry stone walls and chimneys scattered around the area.
Enochs Point can reached on a dry weather road which leaves the Eildon Road at Big River.
The results of the new Eildon Weir altered the face of this district forever, swallowing up fertile land, farmhouses and towns.
The original township of Howqua had included a Post Office, School, Staging Post and the Carriers Arms Hotel, reputedly, once a favourite watering hole for Ned Kelly.
The new settlement above the waterline at Howqua Inlet is a popular spot for boating, water skiing & fishing.
Go to JAMIESON page
Today Kevington is a rural area, following the Goulburn from Hickeys Flat to Burns Bridge, from around 1860 this area was known as Macs Creek.
The Poplar Hotel at Kevington built in 1862 as Garretts Beerhouse is the last remaining hotel from the days of the gold boom.
The only indication today of the size of the once thriving village at Ten Mile, appears in spring when the daffodils and snowdrops bloom in long forgotten gardens, The first building here was a log and canvas dwelling/store erected in 1864 by Tom & Mary Allen a staging point on the road to the Woods Point goldfields.
By the 1880s the Ten Mile House complex had a reticulated water supply and consisted of the Hotel with 12 guest rooms & a bunkhouse, General Store, Post Office, butcher, blacksmith, bakery, stables, grain store, chaff cutting plant, slaughter house. The hotel had acetylene lighting run from a carbide plant and in 1898 the telephone was connected.
Tom Allen passed away in 2854 aged 75 and Mary Allens 60 years of residence ended with her death in 1922 aged 82, fortunately she did not live to see all the Allen dreams and hard work at Ten Mile turned to ashes by the horrendous Black Friday Fires on the 13th January 1939. Both are buried in the Jamieson Cemetery.
The town today covers the areas surveyed in 1864-65, known then as Paradise Point, Drummond Point, Raspberry Point and Lauraville, it was named after Thomas Terrance (Red) Gaffney, one of the first to discover gold here, in 1860.
Today it is an alpine, gold mining ghost town, containing some of the few surviving buildings of the gold towns that once existed in the Victorian alpine region. Exploration of the area on foot or 4X4 will uncover many old mine sites and disused mining equipment, remnants of countless ruins such as dry stone retaining walls, terraced sites and stone chimneys.
A1 MINE SETTLEMENT
About 3 KM further on is the A1 Settlement.
A1 settlement was home to the A1 Gold Mine, this extremely rich mine on the Castle Reef, was worked to a depth of 2300 feet.
Sadly the A1 Settlement and mine are no more, although some houses still remain the last residents moved out in 1999, the machinery site has be demolished and the mine was sealed in June 2000.
Go to WOODS POINT page
MATLOCK 1370 m
The old township site is now a barren ridge with little evidence of the once thriving gold town, which in 1866 boasted, 7 Hotels, 7 Stores and 2 Banks, or of the busy timber town of later years, which was totally engulfed by the 1939 fires.
Go to the top of the page