WARRANDYTE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
About Us |
Contact Us |
Frequently Asked Questions |
Meetings and News |
Gold Soundscape Trail |
Local History Database |
Warrandyte Gold Soundscapes Trail
A new way to explore the history of Warrandyte.
Six sound posts in Warrandyte provide commentaries about the history of the local area.
Each post is designed to develop an indivdual theme and they are to found at the following locations.
Warrandyte Historical Society Museum
- First official discovery of gold in Victoria
- History of the post office building
- The Victory and Whipstick Gully mines
- Traditional goldmining techniques
- How to pan for gold
- Whipstick Gully - sights and sounds in the 1890s
- Warrandyte Heritage
- 'With a swag upon my shoulder' sung by children from Warrandyte Primary School
- Warrandyte painters
- The 1939 bushfires - Bill McCullock remembers
Warrandyte Mechanics Institute
- The early hotels
- Story of the Warrandyte Mechanics Institute
- From this viewpoint - in the 1890s
- 'Look out below' sung by children from Andersons Creek Primary School
- Panning for gold
- Crushing the quartz
- Playing the steam organ
- The Stonehouse building - Daisy & Violet
- 'The Caledonia Mine' and the 'Diorite Dyke'
- A real miner's story (Bill Hartrick)
- Warrandyte's potters
Follow the trail and listen to the stories and sounds at the six posts or just stop at one or two listening posts to learn about the township's struggling pioneers, its goldmining past and its artistic heritage.
This Manningham City Council project brought together groups including:
- Warrandyte Historical Society
- Warrandyte Mechanics Institute & Arts Association
- Warrandyte Community Association
- Warrandyte Business Association
- Parks Victoria
Warrandyte Branch of the Bendigo Bank was the corporate sponsor of the program
Preserving the History of Our Town
Incorporated in Victoria, Registration No. A00133113L
This page last modified 1 July 2008
© Copyright Warrandyte Historical Society Inc. 2005. All rights reserved.