Rosedale & District Historical Society Inc.

index04  index05 index06 index07 index08
Return to Home Page About Our Building Rosedale & District History Photo Gallery Other Web-Sites

The History of Our Building

The first council meeting was held in the original Council Chambers building in July 1873 although there doesn't appear to have been any official opening ceremony.

By 1912 the building had many cracks in the walls and was in a bad state of repair and after 40 years of service the building was demolished and the new Shire Hall was erected on the same site.
building03 
ROSEDALE COUNCIL CHAMBERS - 1884
   
building02 
SKETCH OF ROSEDALE SHIRE HALL - 1913

The 1913 Rosedale Shire Hall  was officially opened with much fanfare and additions were later added by the builder William Allen. 

In May 1971 it became the home of the Rosedale Pre School which was then relocated in May 2006 across the road to the new Community Centre.

The Rosedale and District Historical Society bought the building in 2008.

   
ROSEDALE SHIRE COUNCILLORS - 1914 (Left to Right)

Cr. T. Kenevan, Cr. G. Davis, Cr. J. Widdis, Mr.J.S. Lester (Shire Secretary), Mr. H.L. Keys (Shire Engineer),  Mr. G.C. Carlson (Rosedale Courier - Standing), Mr. W. Chappell (Traralgon Journal - Standing), Cr. A.G. Futcher (President), Mr. H.A. Luke (Sale Mercury), Cr. E.J. Crooke, Cr. T.A. Umphelby, Cr. D. Morgan, Cr. W.A. Lang, Cr. W. Henderson.
building01 
ROSEDALE SHIRE COUNCILLORS - 1914

 

To celebrate the Centenary of this building a Memorial Rose Garden has been created with an official opening on 3rd November 2013 .  Roses with plaques can now be purchased by descendants of Early Settlers & Pioneers of Rosedale prior to 1900 in memory of their ancestors and pavers for the pathway by those associated with the old Rosedale Shire.  (See Details)

 

Contact Us         

Hosted By VICNET    

  All Rights Reserved