Old Shire Office Dromana

Places of Interest in Red Hill

Bittern - Red Hill Railway

In December 1996, a plaque was unveiled on the site of the Red Hill Railway Station, commemorating the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Bittern - Red Hill Railway on 2 December 1921.

SITE
OF
RED HILL RAILWAY STATION
BITTERN - RED HILL RAILWAY 9.91 MILES
OPENED 2ND DECEMBER 1921
CLOSED 1ST JULY 1953
THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE
THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE OPENING

DROMANA AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.
1996 PROJECT

Bittern - Red Hill Railway - 75 Years Commemoration

The railway opened on 2nd December 1921 and closed 1st July 1956.

On December 1996, a plaque was unveiled on the site of the Old Red Hill Railway Station to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the opening.

The schoolgirl who held one end of the ribbon at the opening ceremony 75 years ago (pictured below at the Opening in 1921, at the right of the photo), returned to perform the unveiling.

red hill railway opening
Red Hill Railway Opening, 1921
dromanatrain
First train at Red Hill

The Bittern - Red Hill railway covered a distance of 9.91 miles (15.95Km), and contained some of the steepest gradients in the State of Victoria. The lowest point was 43 feet above sea level and the highest point 631 feet above sea level. The maximum gradient was 1 in 30. The gauge was 5 feet 3 inches which was standard in the State of Victoria. The final cost was 76,791 pounds.

The line contributed to local development. It took stockfeed and fertiliser into the area and apples, strawberries, stock, timber and firewood were transported out. However, the advent of motor transport led to the line becoming unprofitable and today the railway line is gone. The track is now popular with walkers and horse riders.

Old Fire Station Red Hill

The Old Red Hill fire station was located on the main road Red Hill South near Blue Moon. Only the foundations of the original structure now exist. A plaque commemorates the occasion of the opening.

SITE OF THE FIRST
RED HILL FIRE STATION
BUILT BY VOLUNTEER LABOUR
OPENED BY
THE MAIN FUND RAISER AND PAST PRESIDENT
ALBERT RATCLIFFE
30TH JUNE 1955