Rosedale & District Historical Society Inc.

index04  index05 index06 index07 index08
Return to Home Page About Our Building Rosedale & District History Photo Gallery Other Web-Sites

More Early Settlers of Rosedale

earlyhistory04 William Allen (1829—1923) came to Rosedale in 1858 and started building the Rosedale Hotel. He then proceeded to construct all the main edifices in Rosedale as well as many other towns in the district.  Some of the other places he built were the Rosedale Tannery, the School, the Exchange Hotel, Henry Luke's Store, the Homestead at Nambrok, St Mark's Church of England, the Presbyterian Church and St Mary's Roman Catholic Church.

earlyhistory05 Paul Cansick (1824—1889) together with brothers Henry & Thomas Luke also arrived in Rosedale in 1858 and began building. Paul brought William Allen as his builder and built the Rosedale Hotel, while the Luke's had a General Store erected and Henry became the first Post Master and Deputy Register. After the establishment of the hotel and other buildings surrounding it Paul Cansick who was a tanner by trade, set about the erecting a tannery which became the major employer in Rosedale for 30 years. The tannery pits still exist (see photo right).

earlyhistory06 Charles Ignatz DuVe (1836—1915) was another very interesting man. He was born in London in 1836 and was married in Sale in 1863 to Agnes Adamson Buntine. Agnes's mother became quite famous for being a lady bullock driver, working as a carrier supplying for the gold fields. Charles DuVe was Pound Keeper for many years, eventually becoming Clerk of Courts. They were both buried in the Rosedale cemetery in 1915.

Farley is the most prevalent name and at one time it was suggested that Rosedale should be called "Farley Town". William Farley (1811—1875) arrived in New South Wales as a convict. From Sydney he went to Portland and worked as a convict labourer for the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. C. J. Tyers. Tyers then requested his transfer to Gippsland as a Border Policeman. William Farley was the overseer to build the road (now known as the Old Melbourne Road or Coach Road) from Bunnup Bunnup (Bunyip) to Okenden's (Rosedale) Station. About 1850 William Farley held the Merton Rush squatting run (Moe). He married Mary Ann Maxellas. William died in 1875 and is interred in the Rosedale cemetery with many other family members.

Samuel Jones (Sam the Snob) (1810—1860) "Sam the Snob" simply means "Sam the Cobbler", so we can assume that Sam was one of the earliest tradesmen. Sam and his wife Rose may have been the first people buried in the Rosedale cemetery.

John McMahon (1838—?) established the first Sunday School ever held in Rosedale, it was adjoining his butcher shop, in an old bark house which stood at the corner near Mr. George Rintoull's garden.

Richard Phillippe (1839—1906) arrived in Victoria from England in 1855 and settled at Rosedale establishing a brick and tile yard business. Richard was married in Sale in 1862 to Eliza Howells who was born at Monmouth, Wales, in 1839. They had nine children.

George Rintoull (c.1815—1896) was a blacksmith and one of three bothers who settled in Rosedale. He was born in 1816 at Yetholm, Roxburgh, Scotland and married Mary Lamb there in 1846. They emigrated to Australia in 1855, setting up as the first Smithy in Rosedale which was situated on the East side of Lyons Street and on the South side of the Rosedale Hotel.

George Ross (1827—1882) was a saddler and boot maker. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and was married about 1850 to Jane Baxter at Letter Kenny, Donegal, Ireland. He came to Rosedale about 1860, it is possible that he might have taken the place of "Sam the Snob" who was the first Rosedale cobbler. In 1868, his wife was lost in the dense bush around Rosedale and was never found. George died in the Sale hospital and was buried in the Rosedale cemetery.

John Shiel (1824—1908) was one of the early identities of Rosedale. He was born in Sydney in 1824 and as a young man moved to Monaro, New South Wales and then to Omeo, Victoria where he was employed by Edward Crooke. John Shiel came with Edward Crooke to Holey Plain where on the death of Mr. Crooke he became manager of the Lucknow Estate. He married the eldest daughter of Mrs. Patrick Hickey who for many years kept the Limerick Castle Inn in Melbourne.

Joe Threader (or Treader) (c.1811—1861) It is said that the first white women to live in Rosedale were Mrs. Threader, Mrs. James Rintoull and Mrs. George Rintoull, but Mrs. Threader may have preceded the others by two or three years. Joe Threader was a shepherd, possibly taking Blind Joe's place at the Rosedale sheep-fold in 1851. They lived in a wattle and dub hut where the Exchange Hotel now stands, know as "The Tavern".

James Widdowson (1803—1884) was born at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, in 1803 and immigrated to Hobart, Tasmania in 1834, then to Victoria in 1853. He married Eliza Yeld at Rosedale in 1854 but they had no children. He ran a small butchery business in conjunction with his hostelry which became the Bridge Inn but burnt down in 1908.

How well do you know the history of Rosedale? Take our History Quiz (20 Questions)

Contact Us

Hosted By VICNET

© All Rights Reserved