RICHMOND MARKETS 150 ANNIVERSARY - Richmond & Burnley Historical Society

Lower Level, Richmond Library, Unit 3 - 415 Church Street Richmond 3121
OPEN BY APPOINTMENT - email or call
Phone : 03 94271800 Reg No: A000719 6B ABN: 55 900 596 374
Go to content
City of Yarra
Genealogical Society of Victoria
Richmond Markets
150 Year Celebration—Nov. 2023.

The City of Yarra’s celebration of the Richmond Market was conducted with events throughout November. Working with Let’s Enhance Gleadell Street (LEGS) the events included competitions, displays, talks and walks, a special publication, and unveiling a commemorative plaque on the corner of Gleadell Street and Bridge Road.  The events were promoted through an article in the Age newspaper, a segment on Channel 9 Postcards and Channel 9 News. The variety of market stall holders has expanded over the decades with fresh produce, such as eggs, honey, breads, flowers, chicken, fish, coffee, burgers, juices and many other items.

The open-air market originated in November 1873 on the Market Reserve, now called Citizens Park. A large shed which could accommodate 40 stalls cost £1,000 to build. The building was positioned to allow for future expansion. The market enabled farmers to bring their fresh produce to Richmond and provided residents with a variety of high quality goods. The market operated on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
By the 1920s, the market site was being considered for the purposes of education and maternal health. The market building was demolished and made way for the Richmond Technical School and the infant welfare centre.

An indoor market ran in Bridge Road from 1929 until 1972. Meanwhile the Victorian Fruit Growers Association petitioned the Richmond Council for them to continue to offer produce in an open air setting. The market moved from the Market Reserve to operate on Saturdays on the southern kerbside of Highett Street, from Church Street to Griffiths Street. This was known as the Kerb Market. With the increased traffic in Highett Street, the market was moved to Gleadell Street in 1969. This move made it a safer location, with stalls on both sides of the street, as well as making it easier to clean the street at the end of the Saturday trading.
Back to content