The third mill to commence production in New Zealand was the Riverhead Paper Mill, situated on the Waitemata Harbour near Kaipara, north of Auckland.
The Riverhead Paper Mill Company Limited was incorporated in January 1899 and a paper mill was established in the refitted Waitemata flour mills by several Auckland entrepreneurs. In April 1899 an 54 inch MF Fourdrinier machine was ordered from J. S. Bertram & Son of Edinburgh, Scotland. The mill opened in early 1900.
Angus, John H. Papermaking Pioneers (New Zealand Paper Mills, Ltd., Mataura, N.Z., 1976)
Papermaking in New Zealand to 1900 |
Back to Home Page