James Harrick was born in Ireland circa 1828 and lived
on Lough Gowna in County Longford and migrated to Australia
on the “Montmorency” arriving in Melbourne
on 1st September 1856.
He was married in Williamstown in 1861 to Bridget Kiernan
and is recorded in the very first Keilor Roads Board rate
book of 1863 as James Herrick who paid rates on three
In the 1864 rates book there is one entry which records
James Harrick as paying rates on a hut and land owned
by “Bourke & others”.
James continued to lease property until 1872 when he bought
20 acres from the Bank of NSW. He continued to buy properties
including the one where he lived where he expanded the
original hut by five rooms to accommodate his family of
James was elected to the Keilor Shire Council in 1897
as a representative of the Doutta Galla Riding and served
continuously in that capacity until his retirement 1909
and he also served as a Trustee of the cemetery.
The Council minutes of 6th September 1909 recorded the
“that a letter under seal be sent to Ex Cr Harrick
conveying the appreciation of the Council of his past
services and regret that increasing years had led him
to retire from a contested election in his Riding –
James died in 1912 but was predeceased by his wife and
three of his children and he left an estate valued at
more than 3500 pounds. The eldest boy, Thomas owned the
property in Harrick Road until his death in 1926, but
the name continued in Keilor until 1944 when Joseph Harrick,
James’s 5th son, relinquished his Soldier Settlement
holding situated where the railroad crosses the river,
which he had held since 1921.