|Return to Homepage||
Waverley - Mulgrave - Monash City Hotels
Did we get it correct? If you have any
comments/corrections please advise the WHS webmaster.
We would also welcome any early photographs of the hotels.
(Much of this information was drawn from Cattlemen to Commuters, Coles Hotel Collection and the Argus Newspaper)
|NAME||LOCATION||MELWAY||NOTES (Owner / Licensee)|
|Notting Hill Hotel||SE corner of Ferntree Gully & Gardiner Rds.||70E8||Opened as a licensed Grocery Store (and
Bakery) by T G Wilkinson who also operated a coaching run
along FTG Rd. It became the Halfway House Hotel in 1870.
In Sep 1891 the present rendered brick building of 19
rooms was completed.
1884 T. Wilkinson
1887 J. Whitty Licensee
1888-89 J. Murphy
1890-94 P.H. Mundell
1900 H. Hart
1903 Mrs H. Henley
1904-06 Mrs Ruth Henley
1907-13 Robert Lang
1914 Reg B. Dyer
1915 W.B. Sleith
1917 Mary Scott
1918 Annette Crombie
1919 Thomas Young
1921 Thomas Lindsay
1925 Percival Morris
1926 Gertrude Everett
1927 Nathaniel Gordon
1930s Kath Byer
2013 Tony Jackson
|Mountain View Hotel||NE corner of High Street & Springvale Rds.||62D12||Opened 1874 with J.B. Allen as Licensee
1877 John O'Brien
1878-80 John O'Brien
1882-88 Thomas Moylan
1893-95 Heweth (then 1898-1899)
1895 Thomas Moylan
1903-06 P Linstedt
1907-1914 William Nelson
|Wheelers Hill Hotel||NE corner Ferntree Gully & Lum Rds.||71J9||Opened in 1869 as the Mulgrave Post
Office Hotel by George Scott.
1876 Ann (Stott) Freeman
1877-81 Roland Freeman
1882 Thomas Wilkinson
1883 George Bassett
1884 George Sands
1885-1890 Mrs Day
1891-92 Jessie Gessner
1903-11 Frederick Gessner
1912-13 Frederick Peebles
1919 Isobel Geary
1920 Mary Geary
1921 E. Quosdorf
1922 P. Butler
1923 Annie Henderson
1924 S. Jackwigle
1926 A.J. Knight
1927 Alma Rowe
|Springvale Hotel||NW corner of Princes Hwy & Springvale Rds.||80A4||Opened 2.10.1857 with Matthew Bergin
1867-78 Catherine Bergin
1879 S.W. Bennett
1880 Charles Atkinson
1881 G.H. Benson
1882 Patrick Maloney
1883-88 John Brettargh
1895 George Barclay
|Monash Hotel||Princes Hwy Clayton.||79H1||Opened December1961|
|Matthew Flinders Hotel||SE corner of Warrigal & Batesford Rds.||69G1||Opened Mar 1968 (Labour Day Weekend)|
|Cheshire Cheese Hotel
(Original licence application referred to the View Mount Hotel)
|NW corner of Ferntree Gully & Lum Rds||28.1.1867 Robert Wolstenholme applies for
a licence for his home to be known as the View Mount
Opened 25.11.1868 with Robert Wolstenholme Licensee on 160 acres
1873 Joseph Gibson Licensee
1877-84 John Guest Delicensed in 1885.
1888-1895 John Brown
In 1893/4 it was renamed the George Cotter Temperance* Hotel.
|Family / Harmony/ Australian Hotel||High Street Rd
(Near Gardiners Creek)
|60H10||Opened in 1856 and operated through to
1865 as a family hotel by Henry Mitchell. Taken over by
John Clousen and son in law in 1865 and renamed the Harmony
and then the Australian Hotel.
1875 Caroline King (widow of John Clousen) Licensee.
|United States Hotel||On the S side of Waverley Rd about 300m west of what is now Huntingdale Rd||69K3||Licensed on 12 June 1868 by John Southon.
The Hotel, fruit garden and vineyard on 10 acres went up
for an unreserved Mortgagee's auction on 15.8.1871.
1873 Michael Hoban became licensee and changed the name to the Waverley Arms Hotel. In about 1877 it became Croft's Temperance* Hotel.
1877 Francis Bolch receives new licence (for the Waverley).
1878-1882 Francis Bolch Licensee
1884 P. Bolch
The building was demolished in 1917.
|Tally Ho Hotel||SW corner of Highbury
& Blackburn Rds.
(Now occupied by Hungry Jacks)
|61K9||1859 Henry Keele operated a bakery and
1865 Bakery closed. John S Veale granted licence for a Beer Shop
1868 William Green sold property to Frederick Jones
1871 Frederick Jones for premises next to his store and Post Office.
1877 John Jones
1884 J Jones
Delicensed* after 1885 although the store and PO remained.
1888 Hotel completely destroyed by fire
1888-89 New hotel, store and dwelling built in brick
1890 Re-licensed to Alexander Hunter
1910 Ellen Hunter
1911 Pierre Guillerine
1912 James Watson ?
1913 Agnes Jane Bateman
1915 James Watson
1918 Ellen Kennedy ?
1919 Margarette Esther Clark
1921 Redecorated with new signage as "Gills Tally Ho Hotel"
1939 Margerette Esther Clark sold 13 acre property to William C Wise
|Pig & Whistle||NE corner of Warrigal
& High Street Rds
||60G10||Opened ? Renamed Whites Hotel?
Demolished and rebuilt as a hardware store. Extended and now a Priceline store.
|Hotel Ibis||SW corner Kingsway & Springvale Rd||71C3||Opened 2008|
|Coates Post Office Hotel||NW Corner of Garden and Dandenong Rds||
|1864 Post Offiice opened by James Coates
1868 James Coates
1877 Joseph Ford
1884 John Sands
1891 Mary Brook
1897 Anne Jane Marriot
1902 O'Shannassy Bros
1906 E C Cox
1908 D MCGrath
|Foresters Arms||NW corner Princes Hwy & Drummond St||69G6||Licensed 1.7.1864, William Braithwaite
1877 Adam Braithwaite
1879 Joseph Edwards
1881 Mrs Frances S Edwards
1883-87 Robert Trail
1888-89 W.H. Gregory
1890-91 Mrs Frances S Edwards
1895 J. Edwards
|Oakleigh Hotel||NW corner Princes Hwy & Atkinson St||69G6||Opened pre 1854?|
|Novatel||Nth of Monash Civic Centre on Springvale Rd||71C3||Opened
1884 John Sands ?
|Village Green Hotel||SW corner of Springvale & Ferntree Gully Rds.||71B9||Opened 9.6.1965|
|Mulgrave Arms Hotel||South side of Princes Hwy (Oakleigh Motel now occupies the site)||70B10||Opened pre 1854?, Thomas Irwin Licensee
1877 J. S Irwin
1885 S Irwin
Used as the office of the Oakleigh Shire Roads Board and the venue for Shire Council meetings for many years. Irwin operated a quarry just east of the site - now the playing field.
|Junction Hotel||Portman & Little Hanover Sts||69F8||Opened May 1889, Jack Munday Licensee
1902 John Leith
1938 ? Leith (son)
*Note that the Hotel Licensing Act of 1885 required that hotel licences be issued in proportion to the needs of the population.
It should be understood that there were two kinds of hotels - Licensed Hotels that sold alcohol, and Temperance Hotels that did not - they provided accommodation and meals, stabling, groceries, etc. Even though the words "Temperance Hotel" were clearly emblazoned on several such buildings, this was not really their name. Patrons would have referred to them either by the name of the licensee (eg Cotter's Temperance Hotel) or by their location, if not a specific name like Cheshire Cheese.