||Welcome to the Victorian Wader Study
Group (VWSG) web site.
was formally constituted in 1978, however fieldwork actually
began in 1975
has as it's primary objective to conduct a long-term comprehensive
study of waders and terns throughout Victoria
is a non-profit organisation
and is made up of around 140 volunteers.
monitors both migrant and resident species.
Research objectives include:
- Population monitoring (by counting and
- Determination of migration routes,
stopover locations and destinations
- Biometrics of species and subpopulations
- Weight changes associated with migration
- Primary moult duration and mode
- Survival rates
- Reproductive rates
- Behavioural differences between adult
and immature birds
- Determination of age when species first
Find all the available VWSG publications here.
For those interested, the photo gallery can be found here.