Strathmore

Community History

logo




 

Home Page
History Home Page

Timeline

This table is a summary of the information most of which is contained elsewhere in this site .


1802 Thomas Napier born in Scotland.
1832
Thomas Napier immigrates to Van Diemen's Land.
1835
First European Settlement on the Yarra River in the Port Phillip area.
1837
Napier moves to Port Phillip Area and purchases land in first land sale in Melbourne.
1843
G. F. B. St John purchases Section 23, Parish of Doutta Galla being most of the area of North Strathmore and part of Essendon Airport.
1845
E.J. Brewster purchases Section 15 Parish of Doutta Galla being most of the Southern end of Strathmore. Sells 100 acres on Woodland Street to Thomas Napier.


Original Rosebank house built by Thomas Napier.


Theodore Napier born in Collins Street, Melbourne.
1857
The bridge across Moonee Ponds Creek on Pascoe Vale Road (then known as Sydney Road) constructed.
1869
Eleanor Napier, daughter of Thomas, marries George Page Barber of Staywood Park, Warrnambool.
1870's
"Wannaeue" house built by John Peck.
1872
North East (later called Broadmeadows) railway line extended through North Essendon to Broadmeadows and Seymour.
1875
The bridge across Moonee Ponds Creek on Pascoe Vale Road replaced with a stone bridge.
1881
Thomas Napier dies. Land split between his son Theodore and wife Jessie.


"Lebanon" House built by John Murray Peck.
1883
Woodland Park Water Reserve obtained by council and works commenced on forming the lakes.
1884
Alexander McCracken marries Mary Elizabeth Peck, daughter of John Murray Peck.
1885
Pascoe Vale Railway Station opens.
1886
Byron Vale Estate auctioned.
1889
North Park Mansion built by Alexander Mc Cracken.
1890
North Essendon (Strathmore) Railway Station opens.
1891
Jessie Napier dies and land passed to Daughter Eleanor and Son in Law, George Page Barber. Original Rosebank house badly damaged by fire and new house built.


"Hiawatha" House built by Harry H. Peck.
1902
Eleanor Barber dies
1903
John Murray Peck dies.
1906
Electric tramway commences operation to Keilor Rd.
1914
George Page Barber dies
1920
Theodore Napier donates "Napier Park" to Essendon Council.


Rosebank Estate offered for sale.
1921
Electrification of Broadmeadows railway line.


Land for Essendon Airport purchased by Government.
1923
The Catholic Columban Society purchases both the North Park Mansion and Rosebank House.


Essence of Essendon Estate Subdivided.
1924
Theodore Napier dies.
1933
Napier Park Coursing Track for Greyhound Racing opened adjacent to Moonee Ponds Creek.
1935
Madgala Estate subdivided.
1936
"Upland Road Presbyterian Church" (later Strathmore Uniting Church) established.
1939
Essendon Board Racing Cycle Track opened.
1943
Change of name of part of North Essendon area to "Strathmore" submitted to Council for approval.
1944
Strathmore Primary School built and opened.
1945
Strathmore Primary School building burnt down.


Strathmore Masonic Lodge commenced.
1946
Strathmore Primary School rebuilt and opened.
1947
Proposal for Strathmore to be part of a new Municipality to be called the "Borough of Devondale" put to a poll of residents and defeated.
1948
Carols by Candlelight commenced in Napier Park, continued until 1972.
1949
Strathmore Community Association established.
1953
First three tennis courts opened for the Strathmore Tennis Club.
1954
Works commenced on the construction of Lawn Bowls Club commencing to play in 1955.


Works underway on the construction of the Community Hall in Loeman Street.


Strathmore Football Club commences - playing at Crosskeys Reserve.
1955
First meeting of the Strathmore Theatrical Arts Group, STAG.


The name of the North Essendon Railway Station changed to Strathmore.
1956
Baby Health Centre, Loeman St., opened.
1957
Strathmore High School opened, temporarily housed in buildings off site.


Strathmore Kindergarten commenced operations in SCA Hall.
1958
Strathmore High School Classes commence in buildings on site.
1959
New Catholic Church Building opened.
1960
St Aidan's Church Building opened.
1961
Strathmore North Primary School opened.
1962
New Presbyterian Church Building in Upland Rd opened.
1963\64
Pascoe Vale Road Railway Overpass opened.
1965
Strathmore Symphony Orchestra formed.
1967/69
Construction of Tullamarine Freeway. Hood Street and part of First Avenue demolished.
1971/72
International and Commercial domestic flights transferred from Essendon Airport to Tullamarine Airport.
1976
Proposal for Strathmore to transfer from the Municipality of Broadmeadows to Essendon put to ratepayers and approved.
1979
Strathmore annexed to Essendon Council.
1986
Strathmore Community Association wound up.


Strathmore Bowls Club Clubhouse burnt down. Rebuilt by 1988.
1994
Strathmore and Essendon incorporated into the Moonee Valley Council.
1998
Trans Urban City Link Authority widens Tullamarine Freeway, and erects sound barriers.
2006
DFO store opens at the top of Bulla Road.