There has been a multitude of other organisations set up
in Strathmore over its history. Some of these
organisations had only a short life, other persisted for
years and still exist today. I have little or no
information on these organisations. If anyone has any
information on these or other organisations please email me.
- Strathmore Symphony Orchestra (Not Functioning) -
Formed in 1965, they met in the Community Hall in Loeman
Street and also later in the Strathmore High School
Hall. They gave concerts both locally and across
Melbourne and in some "provincial cities". Formed the
Strathmore Choral Society (under its auspices) in 1973.
- Strathmore Kindergarten - Commenced operations in 1957
in the Strathmore Community
Association (SCA) Hall in Loeman Street.
Broadmeadows Council set aside a sum of 2250 pounds for
the construction and fitout of an amenities annex at the
rear of the Community Hall. The SCA formed an interim
Kindergarten Committee at a meeting held on 16/11/56.
- Strathmore Men's Club (Not Functioning)- Instrumental
in the establishment of the Strathmore Community
Association and for lobbying for other facilities such
as the Primary School for Strathmore.
- Neighbourhood Watch
- Strathmore Probus Clubs. Men's Club established in
1989, Ladies in 1992 and a Mixed Club in 1994. Sponsored
by Strathmore Gladstone Park Rotary Club.
- The Lodge of Strathmore No. 566 - Freemasons. In early
1944 Bill Dorward and J. B. Baglin recognised that a lot
of Freemasons had moved into the rapidly developing
Strathmore Area. Many of these Freemasons were either
unaffiliated or irregular attenders. A meeting was
organised with these Freemasons to canvas tha idea of
forming a local Lodge. The meeting was held in the Strathmore Presbyterian Church
Hall on the 21st of June 1944 and was attended by over
50 Freemasons of whom sufficient numbers declared
themselves willing to become members of the new Lodge.
Finally a total of 47 Freemasons signed the petition
requesting the Grand Lodge to issue a charter for a new
Lodge to be known as "The Lodge of Strathmore No. 566".
In due course this was granted and the new Lodge was
consecrated 14th June 1945. Meetings were held in
Essendon Masonic Lodge Temple, Mt. Alexander Road.
- Strathmore Progress Association - There have been two
organisations with the name Strathmore Progress
Association in Strathmore's History. The first was
instrumental in the set up of Strathmore Community
Association and it also agitated for the separation of
Strathmore from Broadmeadows. It was earlier known as
North Essendon and South Broadmeadows Progress
Association. Formed early 1930's.
The second Strathmore Progress Association was set up a
lot later. It also promoted the Annexation
of Strathmore to Essendon City Council. Strathmore
Progress Association (No. 2) also lobbied for the
closure of the Essendon Airport and landing and take-off
curfews in the meantime.
- Baby Health Centre, Corner Napier and Loeman Streets.
Opened late 1956.
- Long Day Care Centre, Max Johnston Reserve, Loeman
- Strathmore Guides
- Strathmore Scouts
- Strathmore Cricket Club
- Strathmore Sports Club
- Strathmore Gladstone Park Lions Club
Strathmore Uniting Church -
Originally Upland Rd Presbyterian, commenced in 1935
after proposal canvassed by Rev. John Sinclair of the
North Essendon Presbyterian Church. A Board and a Ladies
Guild formed. Foundation stone for "Presbyterian
Community Hall" laid in 1936. Architect was Scarborough,
Robertson and Love. Built by local builder, Mr. Todd.
Cost of 1300 pounds. Dedicated by Rev. A. Irving
Davidson, the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church.
Foundation Stone for church laid by the Right Reverend
F. W. Roland, the moderator of the General Assembly.
Built by Mr. Norman Miller. The Church was known as
Strathmore prior to official council recognition of the
The Foundation Stone for the new Church building was
laid by Rev. E. McIntyre Kippax on 11 March, 1962. The
new Church was officially opened on the 3rd of November,
1962, by Mr. N.J. Mc Coll, the Session Clerk of the
Strathmore Presbyterian Church for the previous 26
Strathmore Methodist Church in
Napier Street,was officially opened by Rev Eric H. O.
Nye on 25 February, 1951. Original church was was an old
wooden Methodist church building transported from
Macedon. At the time there were complaints from some
neighbouring residents about the use of this old timber
building in Strathmore. Foundation stone of the
Kindergarten Hall laid in May 1954 by Rev Dr. Clifford
Wright. New church built 1957/58. Opened and dedicated
by the President of the Methodist Conference, Rev.
Norman Elliott on the 10th of May, 1958. The new
building cost 11,000 pounds to construct. After the
Methodist Church joined the Uniting Church the site
ceased to operate as a church and was eventually sold
and operated as a photography studio. The church
buildings were later demolished for construction of a
St Aidan's Church of England -
First established in October, 1947. The Kindergarten was
built in 1955/56 at a cost of 4500 pounds (using a 2250
pound Government Grant). The Kindergarten was opened and
blessed by the Archbishop of Melbourne, Rt. Rev. J.J.
Booth. Foundation Stone of the new Church building was
laid on the 20th March 1960. The building was dedicated
and opened by Bishop D.L. Redding on 4th of March
1961.The new church was designed by Mr. P Garside and
replaced a hall that was built 13 years ago.
St Aidan's became a Parish in its own right on 2nd May
1961 after the induction of Rev. Patrick E.D. Gason by
the Archbishop of Essendon, Rev. R.W. Dann. The Parish
included the Chapel of Ease at 3 Esmale Street,
- Strathmore Church of Christ. Located in Loch Crescent.
Church building now demolished.
The Glenbervie Baptist Church was officially opened by
Mr. J.C. Thompson, President of the Baptist Union. The
site of the church had previously been occupied for 30
years by a shop. The Pastor was Rev. E.B. Bond and Mr.
Brownbill was the Church Secretary.
Glenbervie Baptist Church merged with Essendon Baptist
Church in 2001 to form Essendon Baptist Community
Church. Now meets at the Essendon Baptist site in
Buckley St, Essendon.
The Church building has been converted to housing (2005
- 2006), with only the very front section of the
original structure remaining.