Post and Telegraph Office
Leslie Street, Stawell
This building was erected in August 1860 and rooms were added in 1861 for
Telegraph Offices, when the telegraph line had been extended here from Ararat.
|Photo taken 1866|
The contract for the extension was let to a Castlemaine firm at the rate of
£47 per mile and the distance was given as 25 miles.
The roof was then shown as shingled. In the photograph, other matching rooms
as shown on the right were demolished about 1938. The TELEGRAPH OFFICE sign
is shown on the wall above the window on the left.
Some nine years after this Post Office was built, the Borough of Stawell was
proclaimed. This united both this area and the Quartz Reefs around Big Hill. The
Telegraph Line was immediately extended to a new Post and Telegraph Office in Main Street, which was built in 1875. After
the Borough was proclaimed in 1869 - this building became a private residence
and has been ever since.