Longfield Street, Stawell
The Foundation Stone was laid in 1866. The first building consisted of the
two front rooms only - these rooms were 18 feet square with the entrance hall
between - built at a cost of £502. In 1873, the Council Chamber was added
plus a strong room. These additions exactly matched the first two front rooms.
This building served until 1958 - eighty odd years - when it was very
inadequate and in disrepair. Reconstruction and extension plans were
drawn up by the late Mr. N. Cottman as the Shire Engineer in 1962.
This work cost £17,000 over three years. The Shire had plans to build new
Offices behind the present building and to preserve the existing old building
rooms as Meeting Rooms, etc.
Since "Local Government" amalgamations in 1995, this building is now used as
the Stawell and Grampians Tourism Information Centre.