Willam McLachlan Memorial
Stawell's gold was first discovered in Pleasant Creek near this memorial.
In May 1853, William McLachlan, a hut keeper for shepherds of Concongella
Station who were living near here in a bark hut, washed the first gold.
This small find drew prospectors to the area which probably resulted in the
large gold rush of 1857 at Commercial Street, Illawarra and the opening of
the quartz reefs around Big Hill.
|Willam McLachlan Memorial|
Discoverers of new goldfields were usually
rewarded by the Gold Fields Reward Board but McLachlan's claim was disallowed
as he was not directly responsible for the later finds.
bachelor from Scotland, spent his last years in the Benevolent Asylum wing of
the Stawell Hospital and is buried in the Pauper Section of the Stawell
This memorial was erected by the Stawell Progress Association in
1953, one hundred years after the gold discovery. Local stonemasons, G H
Robson & Sons were the designers and builders.