Longfield Street, Stawell
A Committee of residents of this area banded together to erect this building
in 1868. It was intended to bring all the advantages of a Mechanics
Institute to this 1858 proclaimed Township of Stawell.
Newspapers, some from England, as well as about 400 books which were donated
by various local gentlemen were housed here for the benefit of local
residents. The two-storied building of two rooms cost the subscribers
about £300. The interior consisted of a reading room and library on the
ground floor and the upstairs room was used as a lecture room and classroom.
The building of hand made red bricks, is of unusual design with no internal
supporting walls. The Institute had a brief life of about eight years.
As the population in this area decreased, support for the Institute also
waned and the building was sold in 1876 to become a private home when the
verandah was added.
Since 2002 the building is privately owned and operates as a tea room and
is known as The Pleasant Creek Café.