Longfield Street, Stawell
The Constitution Hotel was built in Longfield Street in 1861 by
Mr. William Munro who had earlier been a publican on the goldfields.
When the gold rush ended, Mr. Munro built this hotel in Longfield Street
and transferred his license to these premises in May 1861.
This substantial building had three sitting rooms and 12 bedrooms for
public use. It was built on the Seaby Street side of the right of way
beside the present milk bar and just about opposite the Shire Hall.
|Photo taken 1866|
Mr. Munro sold out about ten years later and there were several licensees
before the building was destroyed by fire on a Saturday afternoon in
February 1879. The fire also destroyed a butcher's shop next door,
a house down the lane, occupied by a policeman, a storeroom, stables and