Return toTours of Northcote.
Reproduced here with kind permission of the City of Darebin is a description of Northcote in 1933. This is taken directly from the printed sheet "Souvenir of the Northcote Jubilee Celebrations". The tour took place at 2pm Tuesday 23 May, 1933 and described:
Material may be used for personal research and study providing this source is credited - Northcote History Group Website and copyrights detailed below.
(c) 1933, 1994. City of Northcote, City of Darebin.
(c) 2000, 2004. Electronic scanning and editing - P. Michell
Northcote Jubilee Celebrations 1933
"A specially conducted tour of the City in oder that former residents may see the great progress of the City."
Description of Route to be traversed.
Visitors taking part in the Tour of the City are requested to assemble in the Town Hall, Westbourne Grove entrance, at 2pm. Places will be allotted in cars immediately, and the processions will traverse the following route:-
[Starting] west along Westbourne Grove (passing immediately the St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church) to St George’s Rd; thence south along St Georges Rd to the Merri Creek Bridge, turning and travelling north along the west side of St George’s Rd. [Continuing] past the Northcote High School and the Merri Park of 15 acres, controlled by the Council; thence west and north along Sumner Ave and Winifred St, passing on the left the Depot of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works, the property of which it will be noticed, has been beautified by lawns and gardens. This was carried out by the Board, at the instigation of the Council.
Turning east into Arthurton Rd the Ink and Clag factory of Messrs. Angus & Co. is passed. On to St Georges Rd, and turning to the north, on the right will be seen the beautiful lawns and plantations, which have a length of 2 miles, established by the Council on what was previously known as the Pipe Track, but now [called] St George’s Reserve. The cost involved in this work was 15,000 pounds, 7000 pounds being provided by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. On the left will be passed the delicensed [Fitzroy] Racecourse, which later will be turned to more important use.
At Hutton St a turn will be made to the left along that St, and then to the right along Comas Grove to Miller St (the boundary St of Northcote and Preston). The easterly to St Georges Rd; on the left will be seen the extensive Depot and Workshops of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board.
It is not only a matter of interest, but a concrete illustration of the rapid advance made by the City to note that the section between the Racecourse and the northern boundary of the Municipality (Miller St) was known as the Thornbury Park Estate , on which prior to 1920, when the St George’s Rd tramway was laid down, there were only a few scattered houses, the area being mainly open paddocks. Today the estate is practically covered with houses and, and all [the] Sts are constructed.
Turning south into St George’s Rd, passing the Glen Iris Brick Works (on the east), to Murray St [now Rd]; thence east past the Thornbury School and south and west back to St George’s Rd. Thence south past the modern Church of Christ and Methodist Church buildings to Shaftsbury Parade; thence east along the latter St, and back along Woolton Avenue to St George’s Rd. Thence south passing Batman Park and the Little Sisters of the Poor, to Merri Parade; thence to Westgarth St, along the latter St, across High St, and passing on the right the factory of the Leeds Dying Co., formerly known as R B Lawrence’s. Continuing through the railway gates and pas the Northcote Park on the right, where beautiful gardens will be noticed, and in the recreation grounds, spacious grand stands.
Turning north into Victoria Rd and continuing to Bastings St, and again turning west to pass probably the best laid-out gardens in the City, known as Johnson Park, and later the factory of Smith & Sons, known previously as Smith’s Bacon Factory. Turning north into Waterloo Rd, west into Ilma Grove, and south into Bastings St, through which Sts will be passed some of the larger houses of the City.
Continuing along Bastings St, passing on the right, the Baby Health Centre and Crèche. This building was one of Northcote’s fine old homes being noted for its beautiful surrounding grounds, which have long since been subdivided, and now contain some of the City’s finest modern dwellings. Immediately opposite is St Neots which previously fronted Bastings St and also boasted a beautiful garden. The grounds, which were attached to this have, too, been sub-divided and replaced with modern houses.
A continuation is made to High St, and south along the southern boundary, though the lawns and rockeries (for the construction of which the South Ward were responsible to Urquart St at the southern boundary. There it may be noted that the replacement of the railway gates at the crossing over the tram line with the present overhead railway bridge took place in 1925; the cost of this improvement was shared by the Railway Department, Tramway Board, and the Council.
A turn will be made into Urquart St, to the west side of High St, which will be traversed in a northerly direction, passing on the right just above Westgarth St, the Westgarth Picture Theatre, which was erected in 1925 by several enterprising local business men. On the right at the brow of the hill is the Post Office, erected in 1926, and on the adjoining corner of Bay View St, the Church of Epiphany, with Vicarage, which is the site of ‘The Alpines’, another of Northcote’s fine old homes, now completely removed. Continuing beyond the Town Hall is the Northcote Picture Theatre, which was erected in 1912, and was the first Theatre in the municipality.
A source of interest is the number of large business house erected between Mitchell St and Elm St. In this area the high price of 200 pounds per foot for the land was paid within the last few years. Immediately south of Elm St is the modern Northcote Market, and on the corner of Elm St the Bank of Australasia building is nearing completion.
The route is continued along High St to Dundas St, passing in the meanwhile numerous shops and business houses of modern design, including [on the east] several on the front portion of the old Croxton Racecourse and Recreation Ground, the balance of this area containing up-to-date houses.
Immediately before approaching Darebin St will be seen on the right the Returned Sailors’ and Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, and, again, on the right at the north end of the City, the inspired buildings of the Roman Catholic Church, known as St Mary’s, will be noticed. Further north on the left is the Regent Picture Theatre, erected in 1925.
At Dundas St a turn will be made to the east side of High St, proceeding south to Penders St; thence westerly7 along this St, passing Penders Park to Victoria Rd , where will be seen the Penders Grove School; thence southerly along Victoria Rd to Darebin St, passing the Northcote Tile and Pottery Co on the right.
A turn will be made westerly along Darebin St, where, on the top of the hill, will be noticed on the right, ‘Benvenuta’ [demolished], another old home, the grounds of which have been sub-divided, and now contain a number of modern dwellings. Again turning to the right along Francis Grove to Speight St, where the Prince of Wales Park Methodist Church on the right, into Martin St, and thence to High St, travelling southerly along this St to the Town Hall.
This page was updated 11 September 2004.