WHITEHORSE HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC
Schwerkolt Cottage and Museum Complex
Schwerkolt Cottage is an original pioneer's stone cottage in a garden setting surrounded by 2.25 hectares of bushland. August Schwerkolt began building the cottage in 1884 and the three rooms of the cottage are furnished in the style of the period. Other buildings on the property include a slab barn, smithy, a stone smokehouse and a wine cellar.
A museum built of local stone and timber was designed to complement the cottage. Opened in 1977 the emphasis of the museum is on local and social history. Special collections include an excellent textile collection from the 1800s to the 1950s and a wide range of locally made clay products made by the many brick and tile works established in the area in the early 1900s. A collection of farm implements and household items is housed in the outdoor display area at the rear of the museum.
Incorporated in Victoria, Registration No. A0012235J
This page last modified 26 March 2006
© Copyright Whitehorse Historical Society Inc. 2003. All rights reserved.