This building started life as the Taradale Athenaeum in 1862. The two
rooms housed the library in one and until 1905 the other room served as
Council offices and meeting room. It served as the community Library
until the 1950s. In 1989 it was severely damaged by a freak truck
accident and has been restored. Today it houses the Taradale Historical
Group, a use for which a number of Institutes are used.