logobanner

Prahran Mechanics’ Institute

Established in 1854 and now on its second site, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute still continues its traditional role as a library and houses one of the largest collections of local history in Victoria.
It issues a monthly newsletter, awards an annual history prize and administers a bursary scheme to local school attenders.
Prahran also stages lectures and workshops and has recently launched the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Press to produce and publish local history related works.
It was incorporated in 1899 by its own Act of Parliament, the only mechanics’ institute act still active today.
Prahran also hosts the Secretariat of the Mechanics’ Institutes of Victoria Inc.

<<< back