Transverse and longitudinal sections of the HMVS Cerberus
Transverse and longitudinal sections of the HMVS Cerberus. Latrobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria.
Cerberus Dimensions (imperial measurements)
Arms and Armament
- Length 225 feet
- Beam 45 feet
- Draught 15 feet 3 inches
- Freeboard 3 feet 4 inches
- Displacement 3,413 tons
- Speed 10 knots
- Engines Maudslay Horizontal Type, 2 x 2 Cylinders, 250 H.P.
- Twin Screw: Propellor 4 blades, 12 feet in diameter, 9 foot pitch.
Total area 95 foot square.
- Coal Bunkers 220 tons
- Cost 125,000 Pounds Sterling
- Crew 12 Officers, 84 (peace time, 136 wartime & on exercises) Petty Officers and Ratings (peace time)
- 4 muzzle loading 10 inch bore rifled Armstrong guns
- weight 18 tons each
- Range of fire 4 miles
- 4 twin Nordenfeldt guns
- Turrets 10 inch thick metal, 11 inch thick teak backing
- Breastwork deck 8 inches thick metal
- Side armour 6 inches thick metal
- Main deck 1 inch thick metal
- Turret 1 inch thick metal