Our Mission

 

The Mission Statement

Connecting people with the past.

Aims

We aim to provide a place where local information and objects can be collected and stored as a means by which that information and those objects can be looked after and shared.

Background

During the 1930's a group of volunteers met each week at the Mechanics Institute in Mollison Street, Kyneton to formulate a program of events to celebrate the Centenary of the Kyneton District {1836-1936}.

After the celebrations that were held throughout 1936, the group realized that not only had they acquired a lot of information on the pioneer history of the district, but there was also a great interest being shown
by people about their forebears and also the need for a centralized point for the collection of this material.

The seeds were being sown for what is now the Kyneton Historical Society, but before this could eventuate World War 2 intervened and it was not until much later that the society would be formed.

On November 3rd, 1951 the Kyneton Historical Society was founded at a meeting in the Kyneton Mechanics Institute Hall, they would continue to meet on the second Wednesday of each month.

A constitution was adopted in 1955 and the Royal Victorian Historical Society joined in 1956,  the society became incorporated in the mid 1980's.

Members prepared papers on various topics, recollections of events were recorded, held essay competitions for schools on local history, visited places of interest and in co-operation with the former Shire of Kyneton
arranged for the placing of commemorative plaques on significant trees, {not only in the Botanical Gardens but also around the town}, the site of the old Malt house in Jennings Street {demolished in 1956}. They also
sponsored the erection of the Caroline Chisholm memorial seat {cnr. Epping & High Streets}, the Major Mitchell cairn and the erection of an old gas lamp outside the Kyneton Library in the Mechanics Reserve.

Various artifacts, pictures, papers and other items were collected or donated and these were catalogued with the archives beginning to take shape.

In 1959 the former Shire of Kyneton approached members of the society to carry out a survey and classification of old documents.

In 1964 the venue for meetings changed from the Mechanics Institute to the Shire Hall supper room.

In January 1968 the society was advised that the establishment of a Museum was being considered and were requested to provide representatives to attend a meeting to review the matter and gauge interest.

In 1969 the old bluestone, former Bank of NSW building {cnr. Powlett & Piper Streets} was purchased by the shire and the Museum opened on March 1st, 1970, with members being roistered to assist with its running,

It was at this time that the societies records, documents etc were stored at the Museum.

Since 1984 the society has supported National Trust Heritage week with a display or with the 'Open House' or 'Behind Closed Doors' schemes.

The establishment of the Bi-centennial Historical Research Centre was opened in September 1988 in the Kyneton Library.

In 1990 the society was granted use of the Uniting Church Hall in Ebden Street for their meetings, but still did not have a permanent home for their collection.

With the establishment of a branch of the National Trust in the area conservation issues have been referred to the committee for comment, recommendations and action.

The society was instrumental in the celebrations for 125 years of local government, by staging a representative display of shire activities and memorabilia in 1990.

In the mid 1990's after many years 'homeless' the shire granted a small room at the Mechanics Institute for the society to house their collection and operate a resource centre, and so it was that we came full circle,
back to the beginnings of our formation.  

January 2007 the society moved into temporary accommodation in historic Piper Street, while restoration works are undertaken on the Mechanics Institute.
As of November 2009 it appears that the society will be in temporary accommodation until mid 2011. Moved into permanent accommodation in Piper Street in March 2012.

Members are also involved with the Macedon Ranges Shire Heritage council, advising and assisting with heritage issues affecting the shire.

The shire has been assisted in preparing a register of notable trees, street and road names.  Highlighting preservation issues and the protection of existing classified buildings has become part of the societies aims in the 21st century.

Today the society prides itself on its facilities for research, offering advice to a variety of community organizations on historical matters and assisting local papers with background information for articles, organizing events and displays,
reunions and guided tours.

It also offers a service to community groups in collating information for celebratory events,{ e.g. Kyneton Lions Club 50th Anniversary 1953-2003, VP day celebrations Aug 15, 2005. Carlsruhe School 150th Nov 12/13 2005,
St. Paul's Church of England 150th 2006, Kyneton Primary School 150th April 7-9 2006}.

The Kyneton Historical Society Inc. is run entirely by volunteers and receives no government funding or financial assistance and meets its obligations by fund raising, sale of its publications, research and donations.

How you can help us...

.        By becoming a member, considering us in bequests and supporting our events and displays.

.    Depositing your personal records with us  eg.  family histories, house and property details, local business records, allow us to scan photographs of local interest.

.        Encourage organizations or clubs to deposit their records with the society.

Before disposing of material, photos, programs etc, contact us first to see if it has historical significance to the district.

 

Return to Home Page