Historical Society Inc.1990
which exemplify the features of Keilor Region.
left: Keilor Sports Club, c.1905. Source: Joe Brown
the early beginnings of Keilor, sport has played an important
role in the development of the community structures that
make up the fabric of Keilor. When visiting club rooms of
the various sporting clubs, you are immediately taken by
the honour boards of the clubs. These honour boards are
an important asset for our historical records. They provide
information on when the clubs commenced and who has participated
Sporting clubs are an important barometer on how the community
has evolved. Often the sporting clubs are the first groups
that identify with the area and represent the community
to other areas.
The Keilor Sports Ground together with the Keilor Primary
School site originally formed the Keilor racecourse.
(Source: KHS newsletter, September 2004)
Football Club Website)
The playing of football by a Keilor team dates back to at
least the 18th of June 1894, when Keilor played Essendon
Juniors at Keilor.
In the period 1894 – 1925 Keilor played matches against
various sides from the city hotel social clubs, along with
teams from nearby towns. Keilor’s first competition
matches were played in the Keilor and Broadmeadows Football
Association, which was formed in 1926. Playing against neighbouring
towns, Keilor featured in a number of Grand Finals, being
successful in 1926 and 1928.
Keilor became an affiliate club in 1932 with the Essendon
District Football League (EDFL) formed in 1930. Keilor struggled
in its early years of EDFL competition as most of the residential
growth took place in the Essendon area.
In it's first 60 years Keilor fielded predominantly senior
teams, with occasional junior matches dating back to at
least 1927. The first junior team fielded with the EDFL
was the under 17's in 1957. In later years further junior
teams were established: under 13 – 1967; under 15
– 1968; under 11 and 9 – 1973.
It's first A-Grade premiership was in 1973, and in more
recent times Keilor has won A-Grade premierships in the
years 1985, 1988, three in a row 1995, 1996, 1997, and most
recently back to back in 2000 and 2001.
Cricket Club website)
In 1898 the Keilor cricket team, then known as "Keilor
Districts" commenced playing matches against teams
from as far away as Sunbury and Bacchus Marsh. They must
have been keen as it would have meant many hours of uncomfortable
travel to play.
By the turn of the century, Keilor had already established
itself as a strong cricket team and in 1903 it won the prestigious
"Westburke Trophy" and the accompanying prize
money of one hundred pounds. With this they constructed
the original pavilion (long since replaced) at Keilor and
on 14th September 1904 they held a meeting in their new
premises, to formally declare themselves the Keilor Cricket
Although the Club's records for the first half of the last
century were unfortunately destroyed by fire, family names
such as Milburn, Brown, Ellis and Pacholli have been a part
of the KCC since it’s inception and are still involved
with the KCC today.
Each year the Club gladly hands over its main oval to enable
the running of the seventy-five year old professional footrace,
the "Keilor Gift". In February 2001 the Club made
an arrangement with age old arch-rivals - Doutta Stars Cricket
Club, to play both our 1sts and 2nds side-by-side at their
ground (Buckley Park) on the day of the "Gift".
Both clubs agreed to "bury the hatchet" and invited
past players to what turned out to be a highly successful
re-union function. It was decided that a trophy be struck
for the occasion and that it be named, by both Clubs electing
a "legend" from the opposite Club. Keilor elected
Doutta's ex very-quick bowler and life-long stalwart David
"Stick" Jeffrie; Doutta's aptly chose the Willmott
Family. Keilor won the "Jeffrie/Willmott" trophy
in the inaugural game.