Galway Arms Tavern was the first name given to
the Keilor Hotel in 1849. In 1854 an Englishman named James
Smith bought the tavern and called it the Red Lion.
The last name change occurred in 1862 when Mathew Goudie
bought the hotel for 1,000 pounds and called it Keilor
The Gold Rush period of the 1850s meant a prosperous time
for the innkeepers along the road to the goldfields. William
Kelly, a traveller, in 1853, described his coach trip to
‘the diggings’ and his breakfast stop at the
Keilor Hotel. He was amazed at the size of the steaks being
served. The meat was grabbed from the plates as they left
the kitchen of the hotel.
Ownership has been retained within the one family since