Taylor acquired Overnewton property in 1849. The homestead
was built in two stages. The first in 1849 and the
second storey in 1859.
The Gatehouse was built at the entrance of the original
winding drive which gave access to the homestead.
Overnewton had its own bluestone butcher's shop, dairy and
lamp house. Adjoining the boot cleaning rooms were
the shearing sheds, coach houses and hay lofts. The
Gatehouse building consists of three rooms and a storage
Among the earliest residents of the Gatehouse were Richard
and Margaret Griffith who lived there with their three children.
Two of the children, Lewis and Patrick, were born there.