June 2005 Newsletter
The speaker this month
will be Norman Deacon who will talk on "Openers".
Norm's interest in this topic has covered many years. As the title suggests we
may presume it could be about cricket ‑ or perhaps something quite different!
All are welcome to attend! Come early (2:15 pm) for a cuppa.
Our outing to Mirboo North
last month proved a most enjoyable and interesting trip. Along the way Eulalie
Brewster and Ross Wise commented on places, such as early roads and settlements,
butter factories and quarries. We called in to view autumn in Moss Vale Park
and then turned on to Berry's Creek Road where we located an old coalmine ‑ the
coal seam was identified by William Scarlett in the 1880s. Arriving in Mirboo
North, Faye Marshman, President of their Historical Society, was welcomed
aboard. Faye then took us on a very comprehensive tour of the town and
district, telling us something of its history and development. The first
settlement was at Baromi but when the railway came, because of the terrain, it
terminated 3 kms away at what became known as The Terminus and the town
established there and was later renamed Mirboo North. We drove to Dickie's Hill
and viewed the wonderful views of the countryside and visited a wood‑worker who
crafts tables, etc from remnants left by the wood‑cutters. Returning to town we
viewed the 12 murals, painted by Dennis Leversha, depicting the area's early
history, and saw the shopping centre, recreational facilities, cemetery and
schools. We lunched at the Historical Society's rooms, where their members had
prepared our lunch and after which we had the opportunity to look at the
exhibits on display. We thanked Faye for her company and interesting talk on
places we visited and to the members who catered lunch for us. We thoroughly
enjoyed the trip!
Our thanks to Ruth Tipping
who plans and organises the Society's outings ‑ they are well supported and
enjoyed by those attending.
Photograph – Abbott
Street bathing boxes (? 1940) from Olive Wilson
Removal of the "Llinase" catamaran from building site in Halford Street to
launching at Maher's Landing, Anderson Inlet in December 1980 from Eve
"Views from the Ridge –
a Pictorial History", "Mirboo North Reflections ‑ Easter 1873" purchased
Centenary of Mirboo
North 1884‑1984 medal from Hazel Hayes
Thank you to these
South Gippsland Yacht Club
recently lodged its application for new buildings. When this occurs it will
release the "Rocket Shed" they currently use for storage. We have already
indicated to Bass Coast Shire Council our interest in its restoration and future
use by the Society.
The Annual General Meeting
will be held on Wednesday, 27 July 2005. The Annual Report and Financial
Statement will be presented, followed by the election of office-bearers and
Committee Members. Members are asked to give consideration to nominating
candidates for election. At the meeting, Jean Cross and Jack Clancy will speak
on "Then and Now". Jean will speak about Inverloch and Jack on Wonthaggi.
On the trip last month,
Ross Wise told a story he had heard about the coalmine near Berry's Creek Road
and Eulalie added a few more details. William Scarlett having found the coa1
seam was impatient to develop a mine on his property and couldn't wait for the
diamond drills to arrive. He engaged two scrub cutters to dig out a large block
to prove its quality. The block weighed 25 hundredweight (over one ton) ‑ the
largest single piece ever removed without using machinery. It was taken to
Melbourne and then to England where it was put on exhibition and Scarlett
received an award. Later Scarlett formed the Mirboo Coal Company.
This month, the financial
year ends and membership subscriptions are again due. If you have not yet
joined, now is the time!