Inverloch Historical Society Inc
In our last issue, Ken Howsam told us of his search for George Wrigley who, in 1878, with Samuel Laycock obtained a Crown grant for the No. 1 selection in the Inverloch area. The file relating to the Laycocks selection at Tarwin revealed that he applied for the lease in 1872 and transferred the lease to a mortgagee in 1884 after a continuing struggle to pay the rent. There was considerable correspondence from George Black on whose run both Laycock and Wrigley had selected. Black stated that Laycock owned the hotel at Bass but was of poor reputation and could not obtain a licence, that Wrigley was a schoolmaster in Melbourne and only rarely, if at all, visited his selection, that Wrigley was Laycocks brother-in-law and that both Wrigley and Laycock were not fulfilling the conditions of their leases at both Tarwin and Inverloch. Thus the Brighton School Master and the owner of the Western Bond Store are our George Wrigley BUT there is another George Wrigley yet to be discovered! Next month we will investigate the relationship between Wrigley and Laycock!
Australia Day, 26 January 2000, at the Community Centre 10 am to 1 pm. Members are invited to attend and see our historical display. Those of other organizations and the School will also be on display. Nancye Durham our foundation president is our nomination for an Australia Day 2000 Personality Award. Full program details are attached. Inverlochs Proclamation Day will be held on Tuesday 8 February 2000, when we celebrate the 114th year of the town being proclaimed by Governor Loch in 1886 then named Anderson Inlet. The name was changed to Inverloch 110 years ago. Full program details are attached. Join us in this celebration!
The old sea wall project was completed in December. It will need to be checked and maintained by us. Re-vegetation will be done in the Autumn. Trees and shrubs will be available from the Bass Coast Shire Council and some assistance will be given by the Coast Action Umbrella Group for planting. Thanks to all who worked on this project. Our Christmas Hamper Raffle proved a successful fundraiser: First Prize was won by Bert McMahon and Second Prize by L Smith. Thank you to all who supported us. Special thanks to Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve for organizing and working on this project. In the State Community History Awards, in early January, we received $1000 for a book on early settlers. Four town walks have been held to historic sites around the town and we thank Eulalie Brewster and other supporters. The Garage Sale was held on 8January at Jean Websters. We thank Jean for again making this venue available to us. Don Mather worked over many months collecting and storing so many items and we thank him. Thanks also to Edna and Mary for providing storage and to all who helped pricing, unpacking and selling a great effort and result!! A big thank you!
An "Inverloch Diary" is now displayed in the Information Centre listing events and meetings to be held in the district. This is being maintained by Norm Deacon phone Norm on 5674 1717 for additions and alterations. A good idea lets support it.
Library to borrow books, contact Nancye 56742796 or Ken on 5674 2581.
This month, Mr Thierry Rowland, Department of Natural Resources & Environment, will speak on our changing coastline. All are welcome to attend.
Mr Bill Hayes spoke at our January meeting on the shacks at Flat Rocks. Bill knew many who owned them. It was more a family settlement than at the other shack areas. Many were related the Sloans, Burgans, Keighleys and Halls; the Grahams, Dunbars and Rankins; the Bowmans, Allinsons and Fowlers. The youngsters ran wild for six weeks it was a childrens camp. Efforts to keep the huts there failed and the area was cleared in 1960. Shacks were at Mahers Landing (1), Flat Rocks (21) Shack Bay (14), the Oaks (2), Cape Paterson (14) and Harmers Haven (?). A tape is available from our audio library.
A pictorial display featuring earlier and more recent history was on display at the Inverloch Australia Day celebrations. Betty and Ken Howsam manned the information table displaying our publications.
Inverloch Proclamation Day was held on 8 February, commemorating Governor Loch proclaiming Anderson Inlet (Inverloch) a town 114 years ago. The program included raising the flag, breakfast, reading of the Proclamation by Governor Loch (Barry Chandler) and the unveiling of a commemorative plaque in the Community Hall by Dr Ken Howsam. Inverloch Primary School children attended the ceremony. A picnic was held at the Rotary BBQ and Old Sea Wall. The John Murphy Biennial Lecture on the "Tarwin River" was given later in the afternoon. (Copies available $5).
Many members joined the Leongatha Historical Society excursion to Tarwin Lower, Cashins Hill, Tarwin Meadows and Venus Bay. We were privileged to have Mr Ted Fisher, whose family were early settlers in the district, as our guide and commentator for the day. Many historic sites were visited. Thanks to Leongatha and Mr Fisher for sharing the day with us.
An Easter raffle will be held with tickets available at our meetings ($1 each or 3 for $2) drawn 20.4.2000.
In search of George Wrigley: (Part 4)
A search of the Births Deaths & Marriages Indices revealed that the wives of Wrigley and Laycock bore the same rather unusual surname of "BORTHISTLE" which suggests that they were sisters or at the least cousins. In view of George Blacks comments reported last month, it would seem they were sisters. George Wrigley married Eliza Jane Borthistle in 1862 and they had 5 children. Samuel Laycock married Annie Borthistle in 1870 with no issue from this marriage found, although Matilda Laycock lived in Inverloch and was Post Mistress in 1903. Search of the Shipping Lists for the period 1850 to 1880 revealed that Misses Borthistle were passengers on the "Empress of the Sea" which arrived in Melbourne in August 1861. Eliza is recorded as being 20 years of age and Annie as 21. They are described as being from England but other sources suggest they came from Wexford in Ireland. Further search of this passenger list reveals a "George Wrigley" from Sheffield, England, aged 23 and described as a labourer. His mother was Violet Lees. Was this a shipboard romance or were they engaged to marry when they embarked? Samuel Laycock arrived in Melbourne from Liverpool on the "London" in January 1865, from Sheffield, England, aged 28, with an occupation of "merchant". What did Annie Borthistle do between 1861 and 1870? Continued next month.
At the old sea wall area, edging has been straightened and fixed and mulch spread to the other bank by the Coast Action Group we appreciate their support with this project.
Pine Lodge Entrance Arch at the Inverloch Cemetery we have approached the Cemetery Trust to ask if this could be used to provide some shelter from heat or rain to those visiting graves. It is suggested that sail cloth or something similar could be used as a covering over the arch roof. The park at the end of Marion Court is to be named Newton Park, after the Newton family.
Ken Howsam asks that anyone who has not had their photographs returned to please contact him.
An Easter hamper raffle is being held. Please help by donating goods acceptable for a hamper (not eggs) at our next meeting. Tickets will be on sale then and outside Tattslotto shop on Friday, 14 April and Thursday, 20 April 2000 when it will be drawn at midday.
Recent acquisitions: a unique boot last, able to be adjusted, from Mary McGhee
three mounted pictures of Wilsons Promontory in ?1913 from Errol Wegert.
Recent publications: "The Tarwin River" by John Murphy ($5.00)
"Anderson Inlet Inverloch A short A-Z history" 2nd Edition ($10.00)
Both are available from Betty Howsam or The Sea Shed Shop.
In search of George Wrigley- Part 5:
Well, what did Annie Borthistle do between 1861 and 1870? I hope someone can tell me for I have been unable to find out! Search of the probate files produced George Wrigleys will which was written some nine months before his death in 1900. One of the witnesses thereto was Matilda Laycock. It would be interesting to discover the cause of death from Wrigleys death certificate but I have not done so. I suspect that he died of a chronic illness, probably cancer. George Wrigley left substantial assets in the form of his residence in Male Street, Brighton, named "Kirrack", valued for probate at 700 pounds, a horse and phaeton 25 pounds, furniture 256 pounds and money owed by various people to the sum of 590 pounds. In all, his estate was valued at 2233 pounds. He is described as a retired Civil Servant and received a pension of 21 pounds 16 shillings and 4 pence but it is not clear whether this was per annum or some other interval. His beneficiaries were his daughters with a life interest to his wife. There is no mention of the Laycocks either as beneficiaries or as debtors. There is no mention of the Western Bond Store. Is this Civil Servant a different George Wrigley or is it another role played by Inverlochs first landowner?
Mrs. Margaret Levin spoke about her great grandfather, Captain William Norman, at our last meeting. As Captain of the "Queen of the South" he had brought out Governor Charles Hotham to Melbourne. Hotham later decided the Colony of Victoria should have its own navy and, in 1856, appointed Norman as its first Commander. Norman supervised the building of Her Majestys Colonial Ship (H.M.C.S.) "Victoria" and brought it to Melbourne. He captained the ship for thirteen years and was involved in survey hydrographic work, saving lives and salvaging many shipwrecks around the Victorian coastline. Amongst them was the wreck of the "Amazon" at Anderson inlet in 1863. H.M.C.S. Victoria was sent to the Gulf of Carpenteria to assist in the search for Burke and Wills. Margaret had many fascinating stories to tell of her seafaring grandfather and the family. In May last year, her aunt was invited to and launched the "H.M.A.S. Norman" at Newcastle. A tape of this talk is available from our audio library.
Our web site is being established by John and Margaret White. The format will include a history of Inverloch, publications, newsletters, events and information on our activities.
Correction: In our last Newsletter, we mentioned "Newton Park". This should have read "We have suggested that (this was omitted) the park at the end of Marion Court be named "Newton Park" after the Newton family.
Our application for a Local History Grant was successful and we were awarded $1000 Norman and Betty Deacon went to Ballarat for the presentation. Our project will be on local identities and pioneers. Do you have any information on surveyor Thomas Townsend if so, could you please contact Norman Deacon.
We are planning a trip to Port Welshpool Museum on 24 May in lieu of our normal meeting. Cost is $10 and this includes morning tea and lunch at the hotel. Tickets are available from Norman Deacon. More details next month. An Easter hamper raffle was held this month. We thank those who donated goods toward this and to Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve for their work in organising it. An Archival Support Seminar was held at Sale on 18 March 2000 and Norman and Betty Deacon attended. Our most pressing need is to have a permanent centralised base for our collection and work. Presently we are stored and work from four locations and meet at the RSL. A revised BOOK LIST on our Library holding is now available.
In search of George Wrigley Part 6
What category of civil servant was George Wrigley who died in 1900? A list of government employees was published each year in the Government Gazette and bound into what is known as the "Blue Book". A search of these records at the State Library found only one reference to George Wrigley. In 1886, he is listed as a teacher employed by the Education Department. His category is Class II subsection 2 with a seniority classification of 12 and a salary of 300 pounds per annum. He entered the service in 1869 and was stationed at the Clifton Hill School. Unfortunately the teacher lists have not been included for other years. It is noted that his daughter Lucy is listed as an assistant teacher at this time. I think it safe to deduce that our George Wrigley was a school teacher who selected and purchased land at Inverloch in 1874. Having purchased the land he would not be required to comply with the conditions imposed on selectees who leased their block with the intent of purchase. He appears to have rarely visited Inverloch and that any work on the property was carried out by his brother in law, Sam Laycock.
Next month: What happened to Wrigleys family?
In lieu of our normal meting this month we have arranged to visit Port Welshpool on Wednesday 24 May 2000. We will meet at 9.00 am at the RSL Hall and share cars for the trip. Cost is $10, which includes morning tea, lunch at the Pier Hotel and entry. Tickets are available from Norm Deacon. We hope you will join us on this occasion.
At our last meeting, members brought memorabilia, items of interest and some had a story to tell. Joan Hull spoke of her late husband, David, and his nineteen years service in the Army. David spent four years in Japan and later went to Vietnam. In 1953, he was chosen to join the Australian contingent to the Coronation and the following year was in the Queens escort on her visit to Canberra and NSW. Members brought a wonderful variety of items and spoke of their significance. These included a grandfather clock, football medals, teacher training certificate of 1890, serviette ring, coins, vacuum cleaner, caps, shoe-stretchers, Sunday School and State School book awards, Bible and glass photographs of 1853. Joan Ginn read from some 1893 Tasmanian newspaper cuttings of a bushranger ransacking a house and later shooting one of her kin. Thanks to all who participated in this program.
Norm Deacon, our secretary advises he is now available on e-mail. His address is: email@example.com.Our Annual General Meeting will be held in July and our President, ken Howsam, has indicated he will not be seeking re-election. Members need to be considering nominations for this and other positions. It is only weeks away!!
Olympic Games: Have you been a competitor in an Olympic Games and live in our district? Or do you know of someone who has? We know of Drew Ginn but have there been others? We would be interested to hear about them. Contact Norm Deacon on 5674 1717.
In search of George Wrigley Part 7
George Wrigley and Eliza Jane Borthistle had five children. They were:
I have not been able to discover what happened to Eliza Borthistle or her son George Borthistle Wrigley. Perhaps this serial story will stimulate one of George Wrigleys descendants to complete the picture for us.
Next Month: Matilda Laycock.
Our annual outing last month was to Port Welshpool and replaced our normal monthly meeting. On arrival at the Maritime Museum we were welcomed by John Woolley and enjoyed morning tea with some of their members. The Museum is located on the corner of Townsend and Turnbull Streets and comprises a large block of land with the house and out-buildings used for the Collection. The house was built in 1881, the first in the town, for Mr William B G Smith, a fisherman, who lived there all his life. The Collection consists of many maritime relics and items collected by the family over 80 years. It includes sea birds, rare fish, sea shells, fishing baskets and a display of machinery, tools, etc used in early settlement. The Smiths fishing boat, the "Janet Iles" is displayed. The property and Collection were donated to the Shire by Mr Arnie Smith in 1975. Should you wish to visit the Museum, it is open weekends and public holidays, 12.30 pm to 4.30 pm. (telephone 5688 1307). After lunch at the hotel, John Wooley was our guide, pointing out many interesting aspects of the Port and its history. It proved a very enjoyable day for those who attended.
The Public Record Office has a new city Search Room. It is located at the Melbourne Archives Centre, Level 2, Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. It is open Monday to Friday, from 9.00 am to 4.30 pm. The Search Room at Laverton is now closed.
Eulalie Brewster and Ruth Glare represented the Society on the Tourist Drive Committee of the Bass Coast Shire Council, to develop a tourist drive trail from Wonthaggi to Inverloch via Cape Paterson. Road signs and logos are planned to mark the route and brochures will be available from information Service Centres.
Inverloch Coast Action Umbrella Group was recently awarded a grant of $3220 from Coast Action/Coast Care for weed control, re-vegetation of dune areas and to help restore the foreshore to its natural state.
Mr John Murphy, Woorayl Historical Society, was awarded "Fellow of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria for his outstanding contribution to the cause of history". Congratulations John!!!
We record our anger that someone has poisoned one of the towns historic manna gums on our foreshore. We all need to be vigilant to stop such wanton vandalism!
The Annual General Meeting will be held on 26 July. The Annual Report and Balance Sheet will be presented. Members should give consideration to nominating candidates for election as Office-Bearers and Committee Members.
In Search of George Wrigley Part 8
Samuel Laycock and Annie Borthistle had one child, "Matilda". She is listed as a student at the pound Creek State School in 1891. She was Inverloch postmistress in 1903 and lived in the "Pill Box", a pre-fabricated house brought to Inverloch by boat and erected in Scarborough Street on the corner of the lane leading to the car park. She was witness to the last will of George Wrigley. She married Peter Pescia in 1902 and had three children, Gladys, Selina and Rosina. Conjecture prevails concerning her birth! Calvart Wyeth when being interviewed by Eulalie Brewster believed that she had been adopted by the Laycocks. It has been suggested that she was the first wife of Martin Wiberg, whilst other reports suggest that she was the elder daughter of Martin Wiberg! There is no entry in the index of the Register of Births for Matilda Laycock. Registration of her death shows she died in 1942 aged 65 and was born in Williamstown which indicates that she was born in 1877. Ethel Christina Wiberg was born in 1877 at Williamstown to Martin and Rosina Wiberg. Who was "Martin Wyberg"? What has he to do with this story. Continued next month.
At this meeting the Fourth Annual General Meeting of the Society will be held. The Annual Report and Balance Sheet will be presented and the election of Office-bearers and Committee will be held. Nominations have been received for the positions of President, Treasurer, Secretary and Assistant Secretary. Members should give consideration to nominating candidates for election, remembering that only financial members can be elected. Afternoon tea will be served at the conclusion of the meeting. We ask ladies to bring a plate to share. Do come and hear of our progress as we celebrate and conclude our fourth year.
At our last meeting we were pleased to have Gaby Metherall speak on her recent trip to Turkey and Gallipoli for the ANZAC commemoration Gaby was awarded the Victorian Simpson Prize for year 9 students an award made to one female student in each State, sponsored by the Government and managed by the History Teachers Association of Australia. It commemorates John Simpson Kirkpatrick, a stretcher-bearer at Gallipoli who became a symbol of the bravery of the ANZAC soldiers. The tour started at Istanbul where they visited some of the ancient and diverse relics. Driving to Gallipoli they glimpsed the Sea of Marmara, Gulf of Saros, the Aegean Sea and the Dardenelles. On arrival, they visited the Beach Cemetery at sunset and stood at Simpsons memorial and wandered among other headstones. Near Anzac Cove, Gaby read on a plaque the words of Ataturk to the families of the fallen. The ANZAC Dawn Service had a subdued celebration effect on those present. Maori and aboriginal cultures were included in the service. The Lone Pine Service and the Turkish Memorial Ceremony were also attended. Gaby felt that the trip was the ultimate historical experience, enhancing her education and giving insight into her own early family history. If you would like to hear Gaby talk it is available from our audio library.
Found in Jack Loneys book, "Wreck 1891", an account of the 22 ton schooner "FEAR NOT" which spent her early years trading to Inverloch, Corner Inlet and Lakes Entrance. In 1882, caught in a gale, she went onto rocks, broke up and disappeared near the Hogan Group. Captain Dunkley and the crew managed to save the dinghy and after about three weeks eventually arrived at Port Albert. Captain Dunkley and the men took several more days to walk home to Anderson Inlet (Inverloch). Arriving home, they were devastated to find a bushfire had burnt out the Dunkley property. WHERE WAS THIS PROPERTY? Our President promptly produced an early 1900 subdivision plan showing it was on The Esplanade and east of Pier Road, extending toward Cuttriss Street. Ruth Tipping knew that her house is on the "Dunkley Estate".
In Search of George Wrigley Part 9:
Martin Wiberg was the carpenter on the "S S Avoca" in July 1877 when 5300 specially minted golden sovereigns disappeared whilst being transferred from Sydney to Ceylon via Melbourne. The loss was not discovered for some weeks and investigation indicated that the theft had occurred on the "Avoca" between Sydney and Melbourne. Wiberg had left the "Avoca" and selected land on the Tarwin River a few kilometres upstream form Laycocks selection. Wiberg was arrested in October 1878 and found to be in possession of some of these specially minted sovereigns. Whilst awaiting trial he offered to show detectives where the remainder of the sovereigns were hidden. He was taken to his property on the Tarwin River under armed guard and whilst the search was in progress he capsized the boat and escaped. He remained at large for six months roaming around Andersons Inlet and swimming across the Inlet from time to time. He was finally recaptured and was convicted of receiving the sovereigns and served five years in gaol. On release, he returned to Waratah Bay and was reported as being drowned when attempting to row the Glennie Islands in bad weather. His body was not recovered.
Next month Was Laycock involved in the theft of the gold?
Our 4th Annual General Meeting was held last month. Betty Howsam, Treasurer, presented the audited Statement of Receipts and Expenditure for the year ending 30 June 2000. Norman Deacon, Secretary, presented a report on the years activities. The retiring President, Ken Howsam, spoke on the work of the Society in collecting, preserving, exhibiting and disseminating information. Displays are located in the Arcade, the Post Office window and the school, and these are changed regularly. A book on identities and pioneers of Inverloch is soon to be published. Much time and work is contributed to achieve these goals. Ken thanked Norman Deacon for his work as Secretary and Public officer and the outgoing Office-bearers and Committee for their support.
Office-bearers and Committee elected for 2000-2001are President: Peter Allen, Treasurer: Janet Allen, Secretary: Norman Deacon, Assistant Secretary: Betty Deacon. Committee: Kath Bendle, Iris Earnshaw, Helen Jones, Ruth Tipping, Nancye Durham. Ron Webster was appointed Auditor. Registrar is Ken Howsam and Patron is Eulalie Brewster. Peter Allen thanked Ken for his great contribution to the Society as president and Registrar and presented Betty and Ken with Life Membership of the Society.
Ruth Tipping spoke of her familys involvement with Inverloch first for school holidays and then moving permanently to the area. Afternoon tea was served at the conclusion of the meeting.
The park in Marion Court has received Bass Coast Shire Councils approval to be known as "Newton Park". Congratulations to the Newtons!. An interpretation board will be erected by Council.
In Search of George Wrigley Part 10:
Rumour around Anderson Inlet for one hundred years has associated Samuel Laycock with Martin Wiberg and thence with gold sovereigns. These rumours seem to have been based on the adoption of Wibergs daughter by the Laycocks and on the support of Mrs. Wiberg after her husbands arrest. Some of the rumours are:
These are all part of the "Treasure" saga and must be regarded as figments of imaginative minds. There was much sympathy towards Wiberg by the settlers generally and very little sympathy toward the police in the light of the Ned Kelly affair. It is probably that he was warned of the presence of police patrols. Lack of assets on Laycocks death suggests that he did not benefit from the robbery in any substantial way.
Next month We explore what happened to Samuel Laycock and his wife.
Joan Ginn and her late husband, Len, have lived in Inverloch for many years. At our last meeting, Joan spoke of their ancestors. One of Lens early grandfathers was Henry Thomas Ginn (1818-1892) who arrived in Sydney in 1841 and was appointed Colonial Architect. He was associated with the Garrison Church, St Andrews Church, Sydney Public Library and other prominent buildings. He was later appointed by Governor LaTrobe to Victoria and was associated with Portland Customs House, Geelong Immigration Building, Cape Otway and Gellibrand Lighthouses to name a few. Joan then spoke of her early relations arrival in Tasmania. We followed her great great grandfather, Richard Maddock II who became a butcher and pastoralist. Richard and a friend joined the Victorian goldrush and, having found success, were returning to Tasmania when the ship ran into a foul storm. They were grounded on a reef at King Island for a few weeks before being rescued. Joan told of her very early convict relatives and how she had traced them. She can at present account for 10 generations. A tape of her talk is available from our audio library. (Tel 5674 2796).
At our last meeting we were pleased to welcome member Norma Beard from Hamilton and several other visitors.
Ruth Tipping has been appointed Vice-President for the ensuing year.
Arrangements for the dedication of "Newton Park" are planned for late October. Details at the meeting
We hope to arrange a bus trip to the new Museum on a week day, other than a meeting day, in October. Details at the meeting. It is also planned to hold a few day or half day trips to visit Walhalla, Jumbunna and Outtrim. Perhaps you could suggest other places of significant interest for us to visit using our own cars.
Proofing is completed and printing proceeding with our next publication "Identities and Pioneers". It will be launched at our October meeting. Application for a Local History Grant will be made by Peter Cooke for his book on Martin Wiberg. The RSL is planning extensions to their building where we meet. We wait to hear with interest of their plans. Do you know where we could procure a plan press/map cabinet??? One is urgently needed for our files. Please contact Norm Deacon.
Recent acquisitions have been received from Eulalie Brewster newspapers; Mrs. E Lyndon (deceased) books and newspapers: Helen Jones family history books. We record our thanks.
In Search of George Wrigley Part 11 Final episode!:
George Wrigley, a school teacher, died in 1900. Samuel Laycock died in 1906 after pioneering at Bass, Tarwin Lower and Inverloch. He does not appear to have left any substantial assets despite his subdivision of his own and George Wrigleys selection. His wife, Annie Borthistle remarried and when she died she had a mortgage on the residue of the Wrigley selection which was not deemed an asset. Her sister, Eliza Jane Borthistle (Mrs. Wrigley), disappeared from the Victorian scene after her husbands death did she remarry, go interstate or return to Ireland? The story of the Borthistles in Ireland and Australia warrants research. Mrs. Wiberg remarried shortly after her husbands "death" and had with her, the younger daughter but not Rosina. Did Martin Wiberg escape with the golden sovereigns? We like to think he did! Wrigley and Laycock are more than shadows; they are our earliest history.
"In Search of George Wrigley" was researched and written by Ken Howsam. Thanks, Ken, for throwing more light on these early Inverloch identities.
At our last meeting, Trudi Dale, facilitator for Waterwatch, spoke on monitoring water quality in South Gippsland. This has now extended to estuarine monitoring in Anderson Inlet with selected sites being tested. Volunteers who are issued with equipment and trained by Trudi to do water testing contribute much information. A database of results is maintained. Across Victoria there are 2000 sites tested by volunteers and 120 tested by the Government. Volunteers may be schools, individuals or groups. Trudi played an audio tape recording of frog calls and gave a commentary on the 14 species of South Gippsland frogs. Of particular interest was the growling frog recently identified at Tarwin Lower. Information is available from Trudi on 5662 4555.
The proposed bus trip to the new Museum has been deferred to next year to ensure the Museum is completed and guides available. No date has been set for the dedication of "Newton Park" as some family members are not yet available.
Inverlochs Name Day is 1 December 2000 when it will be 112 years since the town, Anderson Inlet, changed to Inverloch. To celebrate the occasion we will hold a picnic BYO barbecue at 1.00 pm on 1 December 2000 at the old sea wall and Rotary Rotunda, The Esplanade.
We will be holding a Christmas hamper raffle. Donations of goods would be appreciated; please bring them to the meeting or give them to Kath Bendle or Bill Grieve. There will be no garage sale this year.
Last month, Geoff Moller, an old Inverloch identity passed on. Many will remember Geoff who, in 1956, purchased a house and six units called "The Castle Motel" in the area now known as Hillside Avenue. In 1967, he opened "Mollers Caravan Park" on the corner of Ramsay Boulevard and Hillside Avenue. Valé Geoff Moller.
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
Our interest in this subject was rekindled by a recent inquiry from the grand-daughter of Samuel Ethelbert (Bert) King who was in charge of the salvage operations to refloat the "Magnat" which went aground near Tarwin Lower on 9 May 1900. The Gippsland coast has proved to be a very dangerous section of Bass Strait and many wrecks have occurred in this area over the years.
The "Magnat" was a barque rigged, three masted iron sailing ship of 1120 tons, built in Sunderland, England in 1895 by S P Austin & Sons and named the "Edward Pembroke". In 1899 it was purchased by C Fehsefeldt and Captain Ostermann, renamed the "Magnat" and registered at Elsfleth, Germany. The ship was 206 feet in length, 33.5 feet wide and had a draft of 19.2 feet and carried a crew of 18 including the Captain, Friedrich Ostermann. To be continued.
This month we will hold a "Show & Tell", taking the form of "Do you know what this is?". We ask you to participate by bringing an appropriate (old) item. At the conclusion of the meeting we will hold our Christmas break. We ask you to bring a plate to share. Drinks and sandwiches will be supplied.
Our speaker at last month's meeting was Barry Chandler who spoke on Melbourne's early water supply in the first 25 years of settlement. Water was pumped into the Yarra River, near where Queen Street now is, into carts holding 120 gallons and delivered to households at 3/- per load. As the population grew so did public discontent with both the quality and supply. In 1849, a well and overhead tanks were used and the water filtered and delivered. In 1851 the Plenty River at Ryder's Swamp (Yan Yean) was used. A tape of Barry's talk is available from our audio library.
We were pleased to welcome Daniel Wilksch, Project Officer, public Records Office Victoria, to launch our new book "Inverloch and District identities and Pioneers". Several guests, representing some of families, spoke at the meeting. Congratulations to Norman Deacon and Ken Howsam for their work in producing the book. It is available at the Newsagents, The Tin Shed, Betty Howsam (5674 2581) or at the next meeting.
Christmas Hamper raffle: Tickets will be on sale next meeting and also sold outside Lotto Shop on 14th & 15th, and 21st & 22nd December 2000, and will be drawn on 22nd. Donations of goods for the hamper would be appreciated.
Inverloch's Name Day on 1st December 2000, celebrates 112 years since the town's name changed to Inverloch. We will hold a BYO barbecue at 5 p.m. that day at the Old Sea Wall and Rotary Barbecue, The Esplanade. All welcome to join us there.
In January 2000, we plan to hold our walks to historic sites in the town. Details will be available later - plan to join us!
In the Bass Coast Community Grants we received an award of $1815. We appreciate this assistance from the Bass Coast Shire Council.
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
THE MAGNAT - PART 2
This was the second ship of this name owned by Captain Ostermann. The first was wrecked in Chile two years previously and Ostermann spent some time in jail until was shown that the charts were inaccurate. On release Fehsefeldt and Ostermann purchased the "Edward Pembroke" and renamed her the "Magnat". George Black suggested that it was a training ship for German officer cadets serving in the Boer War.
The "Magnat" carried a cargo of timber from Norway to South Africa. She remained in Capetown for some months when she departed in ballast for Newcastle to pick up cargo of coal for Valparaiso Chile.
The voyage was uneventful until the "Magnat" entered Bass Straight on the 8th May 1900, when she encountered a heavy gale. King Island was passed at noon when a new course was set. At midnight land was sighted and breakers heard and the crew realised that they were off course and could not get the "Magnat" to change course and she ran ashore at 2 am on Tarwin Beach, west of Cape Liptrap. To be continued.
Copyright © 2000
Inverloch Historical Society