Ihs_ripple4.gif (34881 bytes)

Home Up Contents

Inverloch Historical Society Inc

Historical Walks
Historical Walks Displays

 

Historical Walks

Inverloch Historical Society organises two historical walks around the township each January. 

The Westerly Town Walk and the Easterly Town Walk are previewed below.

Booking details are listed in the Calendar of Events.

 

Westerly Town Walk

wpe2.jpg (17128 bytes)

Pine Lodge Passenger Boat "West Wind"

Historical Sites Visited on the Westerly Walk

bulletCommunity Centre: Opened 11.6.1983, replacing Mechanics Institute and Library, built in 1897 and burnt down in July, 1978. Cenotaph and Memorial Garden established in 1980’s. RSL maintains daily flag raising.
bulletMethodist Church: [Site Only] Land purchased in 1923. The original Wonthaggi North Methodist Church was bought and moved to site. Opened 1930. Later Jumbunna Church added to the building.
bulletAnderson Inlet School: Commenced in 1886 in a room in Mr S J Laycock’s building and in 1891 moved to a’Beckett Street. In 1914 it moved to a new building on present site. Cashins hill School was moved and added in 1954 and is still in use.
bulletStar of the Sea Catholic Church: First Church built in Inverloch and opened 11.12.1906. A storm tilted Church toward the east in 1920s and buttresses used to reinforce it. Existing building replaced it in 1960s. Extensions at west side 1993.
bullet"Pine Lodge Private Hotel":  [Site Only] Built 1930 by Mr Calvert (Cal) Wyeth. It included ballroom, restaurant, water to bedrooms, septic toilets, swimming pool and generator for electricity.
bulletLaycock’s Castle: House built and owned by Capt. S J Laycock, first Post Master - he also provided buildings for first two schools.
bulletTownsend’s Bluff: Named after Assistant Surveyor Thomas S Townsend who surveyed the Inlet in 1840. Anderson Inlet was named by Townsend after Samuel Anderson who discovered the Inlet in 1840 having settled at Bass in 1835.
bulletManawatu: A coastal steam ship operated as a supply ship and took coal to Melbourne. It grounded on a sand bar in 1910 but was re-floated many weeks later.
bulletHouses: Two Scott families at 12 & 23 Venus Street as holiday homes. No. 1 Freda Street was moved from Outtrim.
bulletAbbott Street Baths: Lone pole remains of the shark-proof swimming enclosure. Bathing boxes were on beach.
bulletUniting Church Camp Site: Purchased in 1920s by young Presbyterians who came for summer camps. Land was advertised 50 pounds per block and PFA members bought and donated them to the Church.
bulletHalford Street: Named after Prof. George Britton Halford, appointed to the Chair of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology (Melb. Univ.) in 1862. Settled in Inverloch at No. 5 "Waverley" - died 1910. Three sons selected land at Kongwak in 1885 and farmed there.
bulletClerk’s Residence (20): Clerk Family subdivided estate. Donated land to Anglican Church in 1906. Named Clerk Crescent. Later bought by CWA. Sold in 1975.
bulletAnglican Church of the Ascension: Built in 1924 on land donated by Sophia Ellen Clerk.
bulletNeil’s Inverloch Hotel: [Site Only] In 1922 became "Two Views" Guest House and was demolished in 1950s. Original licence was issued to Edward Hayes as Inverloch Hotel in 1896.
bulletNeil’s Coffee Shop: The site of the Inverloch School in 1910. Now demolished and replaced by Inverloch Central Motor Inn.
bulletFire Station: Opened 10.6.1990. Brigade was registered in 1946 and first Station erected in 1953. Earlier a towed tank was garaged at a member’s home and later in a shed. Historical pictorial display inside on western wall.
bulletPolice Station (No. 37):  [Site Only] Site of Police Station 1934 - 1964. previously Ullathorne’s shop and livery stables.
bulletWarrawee Senior Citizens Club: Formed in 1965. Met in Football Club rooms until premises opened in 1968.
bulletPost Office and Store (5): Now Riteway. In 1890 a two-roomed house was built for the Kidd family. Later a bakehouse was added to the rear. Charles Vietz ran the store. A front verandah was added with a small room at the end which served as a Post Office, Telegraph Office and Commonwealth Bank Agency. In 1939 a new Post office was built further up the hill. This closed in 1953 and a new one opened in William Street.
bulletThe Esplanade Hotel: In 1896 original licence was granted to Mr J E O’Brien. Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1934 when owned by Mr A J Frongerud who later rebuilt it. In 1940 the Frongerud family drowned in a boating tragedy outside the entrance to the Inlet.

 

Easterly Town Walk

wpe3.jpg (20552 bytes)

Bathing Enclosure Inverloch circa 1930

Historical Sites Visited on the Easterly Walk

bulletCommunity Centre: Opened 11.6.1983, replacing Mechanics Institute and Library, built in 1897 and burnt down in July, 1978.
bulletCenotaph: Memorial Garden and cenotaph was established in 1980’s and commemorative services are held there. RSL maintains daily flag raising. WW1 cenotaph built by school children who collected beach stones. It is opposite school.
bulletMethodist Church: [Site Only] Land purchased in 1923. The original Wonthaggi North Methodist Church was bought and moved to the site. Opened 1930. Later Jumbunna Church added to the building.
bulletSchool: No. 2776 was opened in 1886 in a room in Mr Laycock’s building and in 1891 moved to a’Beckett Street. In 1914 moved to new building on present site. Cashins Hill School was moved and added in 1954 and is still in use.
bulletPolice Station: Relocated here in 1964. Previous sites were in a’Beckett and Hopetoun Streets.
bulletUlly’s Garage: Demolished in March 1997, redeveloped into a Mobil Gas Station. It marks the site of an early store operated by J Bergin.
bulletCanary Cottage:  [Site Only] The nickname for a small yellow cottage out in the scrub - now in a well settled area in town.
bulletBeilby’s Farm: [Site Only] Located in Beilby Avenue in the early 1900s. George Beilby was President of Shire of Woorayl in 1933.
bulletCuttriss’s Farm: [Site Only] Jack Cuttriss purchased Beilby’s farm of 12 hectares in 1944. This was sold to Land Developer who created the Nautilus Estate in 1957.
bulletCuttriss’s Guest House: [Site Only] In 1918 Percy Cuttriss purchased land designated as a racecourse and the lower area as a rifle range. A guest house and golf course were established.
bulletAnderson Inlet Angling Club: Formed in 1959. In 1962 they opened their club rooms and meet regularly.
bulletBeach Walls: On the northern side of town beach retaining walls were built during the depression of 1930s. Stone walls are visible but were gradually covered by sand dunes.
bulletJetty: The original jetty started at the Esplanade and ended where it starts today due to sand movement and reclamation. Shipping services operated in early 1900s, transporting goods and people to and from Melbourne.
bulletBowling Club: Established in 1960 and the bowling green opened in 1961.
bulletBathing Enclosure:  [Site Only] Built in early 1900s by Mr Bowen, shipbuilder, to provide Inverloch with a shark-proof enclosure for swimming. The outer timbers were removed in winter and replaced summer. It silted up and was reclaimed for Bowling Club and car park.
bulletToy’s Backwater: [Site Only] Mr. Allan Toy had boat shed and hire boats near junction of Pier Road and Hopetoun Street. Camping was permitted in this area and a nearby well provided water.
bulletHigh Street Houses: No. 1 built for Matron Garnham. No. 2 when built it was dubbed "The Bandstand" - high symmetrical roof. Home of Corrie and Moira Azzopardi. No. 11 Arthur McNish lived here - an amateur fisherman who tragically drowned in 1957 in the Inlet. No. 15 Home of Bill and Annie Jacobson who ran a dairy from home. No. 24 Original home of John Muldoon a bullock wagon driver.
bulletPost Office: Built in 1953 in William Street and redeveloped in 1994 in keeping with new concepts of Post Offices. Original Post Office was in a’Beckett Street.
bulletUniting Church: In 1954 a decision was made to open a Presbyterian Church in Inverloch. Outtrim church moved here and opened in 1956. In 1977 the Uniting Church of Australia was formed by combining Methodist and Presbyterian Churches - the Inverloch Church was dedicated in 1983.
bulletThe Esplanade Hotel: In 1896, original licence was granted to Mr J E O’Brien. Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1934 when owned by Mr A J Frongerud who later rebuilt it. Mr Frongerud and family drowned in a boating tragedy outside the entrance to the Inlet in 1940.
bulletPost Office and Store (5): Now Riteway. In 1890 a two-roomed house was built for the Kidd family. Later a bakehouse was added to the rear. Charles Vietz ran the store. A front verandah was added with a small room at the end which served as a Post Office, Telegraph Office and Commonwealth Bank Agency. In 1939 a new Post Office was built further up the hill. This closed in 1953 and a new one opened in William Street.

 

Home ] Up ]

Copyright 2000 Inverloch Historical Society
Last modified: April 05, 2003