Inverloch Historical Society Inc
This month we will hold a "Show & Tell", taking the form of "Do you know what this is?". We ask you to participate by bringing an appropriate (old) item. At the conclusion of the meeting we will hold our Christmas break. We ask you to bring a plate to share. Drinks and sandwiches will be supplied.
Our speaker at last month's meeting was Barry Chandler who spoke on Melbourne's early water supply in the first 25 years of settlement. Water was pumped into the Yarra River, near where Queen Street now is, into carts holding 120 gallons and delivered to households at 3/- per load. As the population grew so did public discontent with both the quality and supply. In 1849, a well and overhead tanks were used and the water filtered and delivered. In 1851 the Plenty River at Ryder's Swamp (Yan Yean) was used. A tape of Barry's talk is available from our audio library.
We were pleased to welcome Daniel Wilksch, Project Officer, public Records Office Victoria, to launch our new book "Inverloch and District identities and Pioneers". Several guests, representing some of families, spoke at the meeting. Congratulations to Norman Deacon and Ken Howsam for their work in producing the book. It is available at the Newsagents, The Tin Shed, Betty Howsam (5674 2581) or at the next meeting.
Christmas Hamper raffle: Tickets will be on sale next meeting and also sold outside Lotto Shop on 14th & 15th, and 21st & 22nd December 2000, and will be drawn on 22nd. Donations of goods for the hamper would be appreciated.
Inverloch's Name Day on 1st December 2000, celebrates 112 years since the town's name changed to Inverloch. We will hold a BYO barbecue at 5 p.m. that day at the Old Sea Wall and Rotary Barbecue, The Esplanade. All welcome to join us there.
In January 2000, we plan to hold our walks to historic sites in the town. Details will be available later - plan to join us!
In the Bass Coast Community Grants we received an award of $1815. We appreciate this assistance from the Bass Coast Shire Council.
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
THE MAGNAT - PART 2
This was the second ship of this name owned by Captain Ostermann. The first was wrecked in Chile two years previously and Ostermann spent some time in jail until was shown that the charts were inaccurate. On release Fehsefeldt and Ostermann purchased the "Edward Pembroke" and renamed her "The Magnat". George Black suggested that it was a training ship for German officer cadets serving in the Boer War.
"The Magnat" carried a cargo of timber from Norway to South Africa. She remained in Capetown for some months when she departed in ballast for Newcastle to pick up cargo of coal for Valparaiso Chile.
The voyage was uneventful until "The Magnat" entered Bass Straight on the 8th May 1900, when she encountered a heavy gale. King Island was passed at noon when a new course was set. At midnight land was sighted and breakers heard and the crew realised that they were off course and could not get "The Magnat" to change course and she ran ashore at 2 am on Tarwin Beach, west of Cape Liptrap. To be continued.
Copyright © 2000
Inverloch Historical Society