Inverloch Historical Society Inc
At the November meeting, Ron Drew spoke of his family's early involvement with "Two Views Guest House", and of his early years as one in a family of sixteen children. He showed photographs of the family and fashions of those days. Ron's talk is available on audiotape. The meeting concluded with a Christmas afternoon tea and proved a happy and friendly occasion to end the year.
Our Christmas hamper raffle again proved very successful. We thank Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve for their work and those who donated goods and sold raffle tickets. Prize winners: lst Ron Emery, 2nd June Eldred, 3rd Mary Butcher. We celebrated Inverloch's Name Day on 1st December with a BYO BBQ held at the Rotary Barbecue.
On 22nd December, we joined with the Inverloch Cemetery Trust, to dedicate a memorial fence and entrance marking the original cemetery area 1881 - 1961. Pastor Bladin spoke and dedicated the memorial. A tour of the cemetery was made by those present. Visitors to the old Cemetery may now collect a book on its history as they wander past the old graves and also enjoy a bush walk.
A fortnightly newsletter, "What's on in Inverloch" is again being published by Norm Deacon for the Society from December to March. It includes general and historical information and lists current events and is available from several locations in the town.
Three new books have been published: "Apex a service to Inverloch 1968 - 1996"; "Anderson Inlet - Inverloch Cemetery 1881 - 1961"; and "Scrooby Top to Inverloch" by Mary and Jim Ward. These books are available from the Inverloch Newsagency, The Sea Shed and the Bunurong Environment Shop or contact 5674 2796.
Two walks to historic sites were held on 4th & 7th January 2002. They were led by Eulalie Brewster who spoke on the places visited and of events in Inverloch's past.
We were saddened by the passing of James (Jim) L. G. Wyeth on 14th November 2001. Jim was the son of Calvert and Dorothy Wyeth. He was educated in Melbourne and later worked at "Pine Lodge". In WWII Jim served in the 5th Division Royal Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers. Jim and Margarite, his wife, had assisted us with the history of "Pine Lodge" on their visits to Inverloch. Our sincere sympathy to Margarite and the family. Valé Jim Wyeth!
Recent donations to our Collection have been received from the Korumburra Historical Society - maps and articles. Many thanks! Helen Jones has donated two audiotape cabinets and a 2-drawer filing cabinet for our use. Thank you Helen!
Dates for the Diary: Proclamation Day 8th February 2002, marks 116 years since Anderson Inlet was proclaimed a town. Details to celebrate this will be given at the meeting and will include a 5 pm BYO BBQ at the Rotary Barbecue. All welcome. On 9th March 2002 there will be a visit to the "Magnat", which was wrecked 102 years ago at Tarwin Lower. A leaflet giving arrangements for this will be issued at our meeting.
An excursion to the site of the "Amazon" wreck was held on 15th December, exactly 138 years since the four - masted sailing barque ran ashore. We met at 4 pm as the tide was falling to search for the remains of it. The "Amazon" was built in 1839 at the Channel Isle of Jersey and operated as an International trader. She left Melbourne for Mauritius on 12th December 1863. During the night a southerly gale turned into hurricane-force winds, forcing the sails to be reefed and the vessel hove to and drifted toward shore. In spite of the crew's efforts, on 15th December she was driven high on to the beach at the entrance to Wreck Creek. The crew was able to get ashore and camp. Eight days later they were found by a traveller en route to Melbourne. Captain Ogier joined him and on arrival there, the HMCS "Victoria" was despatched to rescue the crew.
Bob Young and Les James, who had located parts of the wreck back in the 1950s, led us to the beach, as near to the site as the tide would allow. No evidence was found of any wooden remains. Les, with his divining rod marked out the area where he had seen the keel which had broken off and lay on the beach to the east of the wreck. Thanks to Les, Bob and Norm Deacon for this interesting visit. We then enjoyed a BBQ near the old Beach Wall.
At the January meeting, Ken Howsam, IHS Registrar, spoke and demonstrated the new system he has introduced to provide the Register of the "Anderson Inlet Collection". Pauline Dalmau, one of our members, has provided technical expertise for the project. The Collection comprises material of historical significance to Inverloch and district and contains photographs, documents, books and computer files. A manual registration system has been in use since the Society's inception with photographs stored in acid free jackets in lever arch files, each holding approximately 250 photographs. Other items are held in temporary locations. The search facility is used to answer enquiries, supply information and select material for use in the preparation of displays. We have permanent display boards, changed regularly, located at the Post Office, Arcade, School, Information Office and adjacent to Rainbow Park. The most practical solution to registration and the search facility was the purchase of a note book or laptop computer, which is portable and can be brought to meetings. Hopefully, all our information will be stored on it including scanned photographs & genealogical files. It will be available at each meeting and other times for members to use. Ken and Pauline demonstrated the system using a digital image projector and screen - thank you for a job well done on the input of our files and this demonstration! An audio tape of Ken's talk is available.
EXCURSION: On Saturday, 9 March we will visit the "MAGNAT" WRECK (1902). Meet at 1.30 pm at Venus Bay Surf Lifesaving Club No.1 Beach. There is a 3.3 km (6.6 km return) walk to the wreck. Afternoon tea will be provided at the Surf Lifesaving Club on return. Visits to relic and grave of Capt. Ostermann will follow. A commemorative booklet will be issued. Cost $15. Bookings: Norm Deacon 5674 1717. Payment is required before 4 March 2002. Full details will be given at our next Meeting.
Recent acquisitions to our Collection have been received from Bass Coast Shire Council - "The Summer Survey, Log of the Lady Nelson 1801-02" John Murray RN Commander with introduction by Valda Cole. "Weary - the Life of Sir Edward Dunlop" by Sue Ebury from Nancye Durham. "The Speedy Ready Reckoner" (cc 1914) from Jacques Drent. Thank you.
Our Secretary, Norm Deacon, who is also involved with other community groups, recently made public, through the Inverloch Community Association and local newspapers, his concept to develop a million dollar "ship shape" building. Norm envisages that this building could provide accommodation for a number of local groups, including our Society, the Inverloch Shell Museum and the Inverloch Tourist Information Centre. He is seeking expressions of interest to form a committee to study this proposal.
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
The "Manawatu" was not exactly a wreck. It went aground on a sandbank near the Anderson Inlet bar. The stories surrounding this event are apocryphal and are redolent of a French Farce. In January 1910 the "S.S. Manawatu" a coastal trading steam ship of some 183 tons gross, was visiting Inverloch regularly to load coal from the newly opened Powlett River coal field. On the return leg it would bring supplies to Inverloch and Wonthaggi. A ship the size of the Manawatu (length 129 feet, Beam 19 feet and depth 9.5 feet) could only enter Anderson Inlet at high water and through the channel, which was aligned by shore markers in daytime and by carbide lanterns at night. One lantern was located on the pier and the other at Point Herbert.
It was the duty of the Harbour Master to light the lanterns but on one occasion he failed to light the lantern at Point Herbert. When the Manawatu came to enter the Inlet at 2 am, on 12 January 1910, the helmsman lined up the pier lantern with the Graham house on "Castle" hill with the result that the Manawatu went aground on a sandbank near the bar. The Rocket Brigade was called out to rescue the crew. In the course of the rescue attempt one of the crewmembers was shot overboard with the rope from the rocket around his leg. In the excitement the Brigade members were themselves rescued by the crew of the vessel they had set out to rescue.
To be continued.
Ourspeaker this month is Christopher Richards who will speak on the bicentennary of the French expedition which passed along the Victorian coast on 29/3/1802. Led by Captain Nicholas Blaudin of the "Le Geographe" and Captain Hamelin of the "Le Naturaliste" they entered Western Port for an eight day exploration. Come and hear more about this expedition!
Last month, some fifty members attended the meeting to view the slides of early Inverloch, which form part of Eulalie and Ossie Brewsters collection of memorabillia. The slides included those of the "Manawatu", the "Four Winds", the "Ripple" and the early shops, roads and foreshore of the town. We saw Captain Roberts who flew joy rides over the town back in the 1930s and was a friend of Calvert Wyeths. Some of the slides have unidentified people in them would you be able to identify them? If so please contact E. Brewster (5674 3012) or N. Durham (5674 2796) so arrangements can be made.
Ken Howsam also had the lap-top computer at the meeting to enable members access our files.
Coast Action will shortly have our display panels installed in that the pavillion in the Indiginous Botannical Park.
The Bass Coast Information Centre also has several of our display boards there for reference.
Recent acquisitions: Childs tin beach bucket Hazel Hayes; Dinosaur article from "Quantas" Peter Allen; Photographs of Cuttrisss Quarry - Nancye Durham. Thank you!
We plan to tabulate the memorials, plaques, foundation stones, etc. that are in the town, noting their location, information they contain and dates. Would you like to help in this project? We would appreciate your assistance contact Ken Howsam (5674 2581).
Shack Bay seems to have been so named in 1975, others knew it previously to that as Fishermens Beach or Bay. Do you recall it by another name in the early days and, if so, when was that?
Please advise Ken Howsam (5674 2581)
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
"S.S. MANAWATU" continued
The Manawatu remained on the sandbank for several weeks being gradually winched by its crew into deeper water with each tide.
Mr. John Western, a long time resident of Inverloch recalls that:
He was a six year old staying at the Western holiday home "Shirwell" in Western Street when the Manawatu went aground on the bar at the entrance to Anderson Inlet in 1910. Each day men from Inverloch used to go out to dig a channel on front of the ship through which she was eventually floated into the Inlet. His father, John Western senior, was one of these men, Young Jack would dearly have loved to have gone out there to help.
The stranding of the Manawatu caused a shortage of supplies for the people of Inverloch. For months the standard response to a request for goods not in stock was "its on the Manawatu".
With the advent of the railway line to Wonthaggi later that year, the dispatch of coal from Inverloch ceased and the Manawatu resumed its role as a coastal trader. It called at Inverloch between voyages to Lorne and Apollo Bay with a passenger fare set at 10/- a single. In September 1915 it rescued the crew of the "Curlew" which was driven ashore and sank off Big Glennie Island.
References: "Wrecks on the Gippsland Coast" by J. K. Loney: "Not enough Grass to Feed a Single Bullock" by Rod Charles & J. K. Loney: "East Coast Shipwrecks" by D. J. Jordan: "Australian Sea Stories" by Jack Loney.
Last month, Chris Richards told of his interest in place names and the French names along our coastline. These resulted from the French expedition of 1802, led by Nicolas Baudin of the "Le Geographe" and Captain Hamelin of the "Le Naturaliste". The names of their ships implied their interest in natural history and it was primarily a scientific expedition with, perhaps, a secondary paramilitary interest! They named French Island and Venus Bay. Whilst in Sydney the ships had run low on food they were able to buy salted pork from George Bass who had sailed his ship "Venus" to the south seas to collect the pork. Baudin later named Venus Bay after Bass's ship. They sailed around Tasmania, spent 8 days in Western Port and went on to Wilson's Promontory. There has been very little recognition of our French heritage and 29 March to 2 April 2002 marked the bicentennary of this expedition. An audiotape of the full text of Chris's talk is available (5674 2796).
Our Easter raffle again proved very successful. We thank Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve for their donation and their work and to our two ticket sellers - Joanne Van Elst and Dawn Wangman. Raffle winner: N. Durham.
Thanks to all who responded to the enquiry about Shack Bay. It has also been known as Blundell's Bay, Christie's Bay & Fishermen's Beach or Bay. However no dates have been given.
Our display panels are now installed in the Indigenous Botannic Park. Have you visited there yet?
Recent Acquisitions: 1933 film on Miss Inverloch from Jack Phillips. Also a 1909 letter (copy) "A holiday in Inverloch and how to get there" from Lindsay Olden. Thank you Jack and Lindsay!
We are saddened to report the passing of Jean Orchard, one of our foundation members, and extend our sympathy to Alf and the family. We also extend our sympathy to member, Clare McRae, in the passing of her husband, Don. Valé Jean and Don!
Our latest publications: "The Magnat" - $5. "Silvertails on the hill, including the Ledwidge story and Brown's Kiosk" - $10. They are both now available at Inverloch Newsagency, The Sea Shed and the Bunurong Bookshop.
REPORT ON RECENT VISIT TO THE "MAGNAT"
The excursion to the wreck of the "Magnat", grounded at Venus Bay 102 years ago (come May 2002), was held on 9 March. With low tide expected at 2.33 pm, the party of 23, including 8 from Mirboo North Historical Society and 2 from Tarwin Lower, walked the 3.3 kms in 50 minutes. On the way out to the wreck they faced an easterly wind but the weather was fine and warm. On arrival, the bow and the stern of the vessel were exposed, as were the remaining steel deck beams. The base steel of the three masts was clearly visible. The diameter of the central one matches that of the recovered mast at Tarwin Lower. On the beach side of the wreck was what appeared to be a mast or spar protruding from the water. Reports indicated that as a result of storms early in January 2002, a metre of sand had been washed from the beach and the wreck was uncovered.
Present on the excursion were Geoff and Mavis Hogan - Geoff's grandfather (Monro) was the Tarwin Lower publican at the time of the wreck. A story is told that, in return for food and lodging for the crew, he accepted goods from the "Magnat".
A sepia print of the ship had once hung in the hotel. Geoff's niece, Millie, still has the medicine chest from the ship and a scrimshaw tusk done by one of the crew.
On return, refreshments were enjoyed at the Venus Bay Surf Lifesaving Club before heading toward Tarwin Lower to view the remnant of one of the masts. This was followed by a visit to the grave of part owner and Captain, Friedrich Ostermann, of the "Magnat", who died at Tarwin Lower three months after his ship ran aground. A commemorative booklet, giving information about the wreck, attempts to refloat it and the salvage operation was issued to those attending.
Our thanks to Norm Deacon for arranging this very interesting and successful outing.
Several members participated in our meeting last month, relating their memories of the war years. These included a mine being washed up on Venus Bay beach; some being rostered on plane spotting from observation towers; some talked about the "blackout" and air raid shelters and alarm practices in case of air raids, and some had packs ready in case they needed to evacuate. Bill Grieve told of the boats near the sea wall having to be immobilised in the event of them being used by a landing party. We thank all who told their story - we enjoyed it and had some laughs!!
The day following our meeting was ANZAC DAY and at 9.30 am a Service was held to rededicate the Cenotaph after the Inverloch RSL Sub Branch completed recent restoration work. Mrs. Carol Thorn (nee Wyeth) spoke of her father, Calvert, and uncle, George Wyeth who were both involved in WWI - George was killed in action. Carol unveiled the new plaque cast in bronze. Salvation Army Officer, Ian Platt, conducted the rededication. Calvert Wyeth planned and was responsible for this cenotaph, built in 1931 as a WWI memorial. The Inverloch school children collected beach stones, which were carted by Wyeth's horse and dray to the site opposite the school, and cemented to a marble slab. A section of the slab was inscribed "Commemorating Inverloch's Volunteers, Great War 1914 - 18", and dedicated by the Anglican vicar, Rev. Cooper. After WWII, the original stones and concrete began to deteriorate and it was recommended and a metal plaque added with the inscription "In memory of those who gave their lives for King and Country 1939 - 45, Lest we forget". What is the inscription on the new plaque? Why not walk by and read it! Congratulations and thanks to the RSL for the work they have done to again restore this monument of the past. The RSL flies the flag there every day and also at their Hall and at the Garden of Remembrance.
Painting of Shack at ? Shack Bay, and "Lifeboats" book - Hazel Hayes.
"The News" (Inverloch 1991) - Betty Grabham.
Photograph of Two Views Guest House 1944 - Betty Osborne.
"Artisan" photographs - Sylvia Trott.
Letter on her family at Inverloch - Maria Hehir.
News clip information on Inverlochy Castle - Margaret McDonald.
Thank you for these donations.
Books (New Publications):
"The Magnat" - one of the wrecks on our coastline ($5).
"Silvertails on the Hill, The Ledwidge Story & Brown's Kiosk" ($10)
Available from Inverloch Newsagency, The Sea Shed, The Bunurong Bookshop or the Society (5674 2796).
WRECKS ALONG OUR COAST
THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON
Our attention was drawn to this wreck by a copy of a photograph given by Lyn Chambers of the Wonthaggi Historical Society. The photograph was taken in 1900 and shows the mast and bow of the ship out of the sand at low tide on Venus Bay beach, near 10 mile creek.
The "Duke of Wellington" was a wooden barque of 387 tons. She was 114 feet long with a breadth of 23 feet and a depth of 16.6 feet with - three masts. She was built in New Brunswick, Canada in 1840 and had been an international passenger and trading vessel on the London - Adelaide run. In April 1852 she arrived from San Francisco and traded on the south coast of Australia. In April 1853 the "Duke of Wellington was heading for Newcastle from Melbourne in ballast, having recently delivered a load of coal and hay, when she encountered heavy weather - first from the north and later from the south - west. The sails were reefed but the vessel was driven towards the coast. At midnight on 4th April 1853, the anchor was dropped but the ship drifted further onto the shore and went aground, breaking the rudder and false keel and came to lie broadside to the beach. The crew was able to escape from the ship and no lives were lost. It was not possible to get the ship off the beach and she was abandoned. Artifacts from the ship were in the neighbourhood in 1984, including the anchor and a length of chain. She is best remembered for the rocks that are named after her. The circumstances of the loss of the "Duke of Wellington" are very similar to those of the "Magnat" 47 years later.
References: East Coast Shipwrecks - Jordan Maritime Heritage Unit 1995. "The Star Newspaper 9 October 1984.
Colin Leviston, President of Wonthaggi Family History Centre, spoke at last month's meeting on the research resources available to those seeking information on their ancestors. These extensive resources include microfiche, CD ROM and internet and cover numerous subjects such as convict and military records, shipping and passenger lists and international indices. Marriage certificates are often more fruitful than birth or death certificates and inquest files are now available. If you use the internet a search fee may now be charged. Colin used his own family's history to illustrate how successful family research may be and showed the "family tree" depicted horizontally on a five metre roll of wallpaper. He has a particular interest in military records. For Wonthaggi Family History Centre contact Secretary, Merle Collins 5672 283.
Ken Howsam has now completed the input of historic records to the laptop InMagic system and this is available for access at our meetings or by appointment (5674 2581). This includes some early Inverloch family histories.
Photographs taken at the rededication of the cenotaph on Anzac Day, were displayed by Eulalie Brewster at the meeting. Two additional historical display boards have been completed and included at the pavilion in the Botanic Park Gardens. One by Norm Deacon on the Tarwin River and the other by Ken Howsam on early townsfolk.
Historic Plaques and Memorials Project: Three members, Joan Ginn, Joanne van der Elst and Dawn Wangman have completed their project covering Inverloch Cemetery. This information is now being processed to update our files. Well done!!!
The Dandenong & District Historical Society have sent a copy of their recent publication, "A Snapshot of Dandenong in 2001". It depicts a diverse collection of people in action at many of the community organizations in Dandenong. It was produced as a Federation Funded Project. It will be added to our Library.
The Annual General Meeting will be held on Wednesday, 24 July, 2002. The Annual Report and Financial Statement will be presented, followed by the election of office-bearers and Committee members. Members should give consideration to nominating candidates for election.
The "Duke of Wellington" wreck excursion could possibly be held in March, 2003. Ken Howsam has a contact in the locality who will give some assistance in planning this.
The old concrete water tank (c. 1930) behind the Rotunda in the foreshore picnic ground was discussed at our last meeting as the Council sought our advice on sealing it off. We have no objection to this being done but we should ask the Council to mark its significance with an appropriate plaque. Two of our members recalled taking their buckets to the pump on this tank for water, many years ago.
In the Inverloch Community Newsletter, January 1981, Eulalie Brewster wrote the following about our town's wells and watercarts:
Before Inverloch had a town water supply, each house had its own rain-water tank. Summer visitors and campers could collect water from wells along the foreshore. There was a well in Hopetoun Street, another at the foreshore picnic ground (the one mentioned above), one near Venus Street and another near Abbott Street. There were rotundas near these latter two with tanks to which the water was pumped from the underground well. A watercart supplied the campers along the Screw Creek end of the foreshore beyond Cuttriss Street. These wells and shelter sheds were among the many amentities provided by the Foreshore Committee, which controlled the foreshore for over fifty years. Besides providing water, they organised the building of the bathing enclosures and had seats with lifebuoys attached to the back of them, placed at intervals along the dunes. Camping areas were provided and the New Year's Day Sports and Miss Inverloch competitions were also conducted by the Committee.
A reminder that Annual Subscriptions are now due ($12). If you have not yet joined, now is the right time! We need your support!
The Sixth Annual General Meeting of the Society will also be held. The Annual Report, Financial Statement & Balance Sheet for the year ending 30/6/2002 will be presented. The election of Office-bearers and Committee members will follow. Members should consider nominating members to these positions. Only financial members can nominate and be elected.
At last month's meeting Len Cuttriss spoke on Cuttriss's Quarry, started in 1904 by his grandfather, Alfred Cuttriss. Under contract, they supplied blue stone to build the road fronting the Tarwin Lower Hotel and along by the river. They used the barge, "Lizzie" to transport the stone and Alfred's ketch, which only had sail, to tow the barge. A stone jetty was formed and piles and tramlines laid to take the skips of stone to the barge. Men were hired to break the rocks. Len told of the problems of unloading. They operated the Quarry until 1907. After some disagreement over a new contract, someone went to where the barge was anchored and blew her up - she is on the bottom of Screw Creek, about 200 yards down stream from the bridge. The ford across Screw Creek was the only access people could use years ago to cross at low tide to come into Inverloch. The alternative was to go to Pound Creek or South Leongatha and come back to Inverloch. There were no bridges. The ford is a natural rock shelf. An audio tape of Len's full talk is available.
Slides of King Island were also shown by Eulalie Brewster, and included lighthouses, goats and the harvesting of kelp which is one of their industries. There are no foxes or rabbits on the Island. Our thanks to Eulalie for helping out when Len was delayed.
The Society has now purchased a desktop recorder for use at our meetings and for taking oral histories.
Have you visited our display in the Arcade recently or the latest ones that are included in the Pavilion near the Indigenous Botanic Garden on the foreshore? Well worth a visit!!
Preliminary notice: Please reserve the date 25/9/2002 Plans are being made for a guided tour to historic places at Korumburra. After lunch the bus will take us on a short trip for an antique amble. Full details will be given in August but reserve the date!
Len Cuttriss, in his talk reported above, mentioned the Newman family who were residents about 1894 to 1917. Charles Newman was a fisherman with a large family who lived at Mahers Landing in what is now known as Treadwells Road. The children went to the Pound Creek School. Charles Newman often visited Inverloch selling his fish. Charles Newman arrived in Melbourne in 1880 as Christoph Johann Niemann, a 16 year old cabin boy on a German sailing ship. Whilst in Melbourne, like many other sailors, he left his ship but instead of setting out for the Ballarat gold fields he made his way to Tootgarook on Port Phillip Bay where he joined the Lucas family as a professional fisherman. In 1885 he changed his name to Charles Newman and married Louisa Kate Lucas. They set up house at Rye where they had three children. In 1894 they transferred to Pound Creek jetty (Mahers Landing) where they lived in tents until a house was built in 1897. Here they had a further nine children. In May 1907, the Newman's held a picnic for family and friends on the beach at Inverloch. Charles the eldest son, aged 20, took seven young persons out for a sail towards the bar. The sea was rough and on attempting to turn back the boat capsized and three young women, Annie Newman, Hope Miller and Alice Bradley were drowned, the others being rescued by a nearby fishing boat. In 1917, Charles Newman transferred to Port Welshpool and built a house at Bool Bool Island from a hay shed which he transported there from Inverloch in his boat. Shortly afterwards, in July 1917, the "Cumberland" hit a mine laid by the German raider "Wolf" off Gabo Island. In the hysteria, which followed, German collaborators were suspected and Charles Newman was denounced to Naval Intelligence. Despite lack of evidence, Charles Newman was interned as a prisoner of war for 2 years. In 1920 he was officially exonerated of any wartime involvement. The Newman boys all became professional fishermen. Some at Newhaven, others at Port Welshpool and Lakes Entrance. The girls married and their descendants maybe found in Gippsland and beyond.
A reminder that Annual Subscriptions are now due ($12). If you have not yet joined, now is the best time! We need your support!
Last month the 6th Annual General Meeting was held. The audited Financial Statement & Balance Sheet for the year ending 30 June 2002 was presented by the Treasurer, Mavis Parks. In the absence of Peter Allen, President, who is on holidays, Ruth Tipping, Vice-President, presented the Annual Report on the Year's activities. Office-bearers and Committee elected for 2002/2003 are:- President - Ruth Tipping, Treasurer - Mavis Parks, Secretary - Norman Deacon, Assistant Secretary - Betty Deacon. The Committee are:- Peter Allen, Kath Bendle, Nancye Durham, Bill Grieve, Helen Jones, Bob Sartain. Eulalie Brewster is Patron of the Society and Ken Howsam, Registrar. Life Membership was presented to Nancye Durham in recognition of her work for the Society. Ruth Tipping thanked the Office-bearers, Committee and all who had contributed to the work of the Society.
Lyn Chambers, Secretary of the Wonthaggi Historical Society, was our speaker last month. Lyn spoke of her early years at Indented Head, student teacher training at Queenscliff and in 1940, attending Teachers College. Here she found a helpful boarder, Joe Chambers, who helped her with music lessons and who in 1944 became her husband. They came to the Chambers family property, "Three Acres" and Lyn first visited 10 Grandview Grove, Inverloch in 1945 - the property was known as "The Barn" and comprised two rooms and extended by bunks and tents for their big family holiday gatherings. On New Year's Eve the singing, music, poetry and sketches lasted till sun-up. Lyn recalled the dirt roads winding through the tea tree and when the tides came up to Webb's fence in Pier Road. In 1951 Joe was transferred to West Wonthaggi School and they moved house into Wonthaggi. Joe's mother, Agnes, worked tirelessly for many organizations in Wonthaggi and gradually Lyn herself became involved. In 1980, the Miners' Union Building, with the theatre, burnt down - later Joe and Lyn published "It's on at the Union"; then followed "Out to the Wreck", "Pit Ponies" and "Come On, Gee Up". These books are available from the Wonthaggi Historical Society. An audiotape of Lyn's talk is available (5674 2796).
For many years Kath Bendle has organized speakers or topics for the meetings and she does an excellent job! Do you have suggestions for a speaker or topic, Kath would welcome some ideas (5674 3272).
An excursion is planned for 25/9/2002 with a guided tour of historic places at Korumburra and surrounding towns. After lunch (BYO) the bus will take us on a short trip for an amble at Bob Newton's farm. Cost $5.00. Tickets available at the meeting.
Recent acquisitions; Audio tape file cabinets from Helen Jones, Photograph of "The Ripple" (Framed) from Inverloch Branch, South Gippsland Conservation Society. Photographs from L. Hughes, M. Edney, D. Beard. Newspaper articles - L. Hughes. Thank you for your help!.
The Society has received an enquiry from England concerning the parents of Thomas Henderson who died in Inverloch in 1929. His parents, John and Sarah Henderson emigrated from Ireland with 4 adult children in 1849 and settled in the vicinity of Cranbourne. Thomas, their youngest son, married Martha Wilson in 1865 and they had 10 children born in the Cranbourne district. Thomas, Martha, with some of their children, retired to Inverloch sometime around 1885. Of their other children - Hugh died 1919, George died 1912, Ernie died 1924 and are buried in Inverloch Cemetery. Thomas junior was a fisherman - Captain Henderson of the "Swan" - he later moved to Foster where he died in 1966, the same week as his wife, Mary Henderson (nee Kernot). Thomas senior died in 1929 and his wife Martha in 1920 at Inverloch but we have no knowledge of where they are buried. Information is sought regarding Thomas and Martha, their children and grand children.
Last month the Newsletter included the story of the Newman family of Pound Creek. We have had some responses and now include some further information. Firstly, it was not Charles Newman senior who often visited Inverloch selling fish but Jack Bonser who lived in a hut on the Newman property. After he sold the fish it was his custom to adjourn to the hotel until his funds were exhausted, when he would climb aboard his cart and allow the horse to take him home. Once a young lady teacher, appointed to the Pound Creek School, arrived in Inverloch, and for the final stage of her journey, was referred to Bonser. Imagine her consternation to be taken to Pound Creek by horse and cart! Secondly, we could not find where Annie Newman and Jane Hope Millar, victims of the boating accident, were buried. We now know that their bodies were never recovered. Thirdly, we have received a number of photographs of the Newman family but we would appreciate photographs of Charles Newman senior and his wife, Louisa Kate. We thank those who have responded with additional information and photographs.
REMINDER- ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS
Annual Subscriptions are now due ($12). If you have not yet joined, now is the best time!
Alan Woodbridge, from "Raise the Ripple" project, was our speaker last month. Alan outlined the history of the "Ripple", which was built by Benjamin Davis, in 1872, at Brisbane Water (near Gosford) NSW. A ketch of 29 tons, her specifications were 57' 6" X 16' 2" with a depth of 5' 11". She was registered in Sydney and her owners were C.F. Missla and I. Israel. She was registered in Melbourne in 1888 and provided a freight and passenger service between Anderson Inlet and Little Dock at Williamstown. An overnight trip cost 5/- including meals, baggage and a dog. She operated on this service until 1929. Two people were lost over-board - one was the skipper (Johnson) who was lost 5 miles from Williamstown in 1911, and a boy (Alford) lost 5 miles outside The Heads in 1916 - both were from Inverloch. The "Ripple" laid the submarine section of the telephone cable between San Remo and Phillip Island in 1906. Later she operated as a shell grit trader between Clifton Springs and Melbourne and then as a Dyson ferry on the Yarra River. She sank whilst tied up under Queen's Bridge in 1945.
The site for the replica is Crown Land, between the yacht club and The Esplanade. The estimate for the project is $60,000 with $17,000 already raised. Plans are currently before the Council awaiting approval. An audiotape of Alan's talk is available from 5674 2796.
On 17 November 2002 the Committee is holding a Billy Cart Derby and Street Festival as a big fund-raiser for the project. Book the date and lend your support!
Recent Acquisitions: "The Glorious Years of Australia Fair from the birth of the Bulletin to Versailles" from Mavis Parks; Bible from Pound Creek Presbyterian Church, and a Sunday School Prize Book from Dorothy Beard; Brochure showing old and new San Remo Bridges from Clive Newton. Thank you for these donations.
We are seeking a copy of "A History of Tarwin Lower 1798 to 1974" by J. R. Charles. Published by Tarwin Lower School Committee 1971-73, printed by the Sentinel Times 1974. Please contact Ken Howsam (5674 2581) if you can help.
A group of members gathered at the Tarwin Lower Cemetery on 20 August 2002 to commemorate the death of Captain Friedrich Ostermann, the Master of the barque "Magnat", blown ashore on Tarwin beach in May 1900. She defied all attempts to refloat or salvage her. Ruth Tipping, our President, dedicated a plaque outlining the events of 102 years ago. Plan to call at the Cemetery to visit Captain Ostermann's grave and other grave markers of the early pioneers of the district. Whilst there, have a look for greenhood orchids and other wildflowers which come into bloom there in September and October.
Last meeting we asked for help with Thomas and Martha Henderson. We now can report that they are buried in the old Inverloch Cemetery. Gwen Beck obtained details of Thomas's death certificate from a relative in England. This showed him to be of Presbyterian persuasion and buried in Inverloch. Martha is entered in the reconstructed register but with the given name of "Margaret".
"In Search of George Wrigley" was published in our Newsletters during 2000, concluding in September. Last week, Ken Howsam, our Registrar, received an e-mail message from Jane Logan of Ireland, a member of the Wrigley-Borthistle family. She confirmed that Eliza and Annie Borthistle came from County Wexford in Ireland and were listed on her family tree. She offered to supply more information if we were interested. We await her further reply! It is encouraging to know that our Newsletters are read world wide via the Internet! Thanks to John White!
Reminder that Annual Subscriptions for membership are now due ($12). If you have not yet joined, now is the best time!
Last Month, in lieu of the normal meeting, we boarded Ross Wise's bus and headed off to Leongatha. From there we took the Old Leongatha Road into Ruby. Ruth Tipping told of its early history; it once boasted a butcher, post office, barber, wine saloon, railway station and butter factory (1897 - 1934). Ruby Hall is still operating. The road to Arawata passes by the Western Reservoir, built in 1927 with a second stage opened in 1962 - this services the Leongatha district. On the Kardella Road, we came to Kardella South where Ruth had grown up and attended school. At the Korumburra Cemetery, Doug and Dorothy Boston joined us. This Cemetery was established in 1894 and has had 5,500 interments. Doug told of funerals in 1912, when 7 miles of mud tracks were impassable, it was necessary for burials to be conveyed along the railway tracks. On arriving at the Korumburra Butter Factory, opened in 1900, Doug outlined its history. It later became South Gippsland Milk Industries, then Murray Goulburn and closed in 1973. It is now Burra Foods and exports milk products to many overseas countries, and is proving very successful. Doug spoke about the district's coalmines, the railway, shops, hotels and Joe's Soft Drink Factory. We saw some of the early history depicted through the town, in murals by Dennis Leversha. We visited the Railway Station where Allan Roberts opened the Refreshment Rooms and told of the days when it provided a half-hour stop to allow dining for lst Class passengers and sandwiches, pies, tea and coffee for others. After lunch we visited the Historical Society rooms and viewed their lovely displays and office. Then we headed to Bob Newton's farm to view his historic collections of spanners, wrenches, Furphy's, bricks, rabbit traps and 1001 other items great items, Bob! After a cuppa we headed homeward - an enjoyable day. Our thanks to Doug & Dorothy Boston, Allan Roberts, Bob Newton and Ruth.
We will be holding a Christmas hamper raffle. Donation of goods would be appreciated. Please bring them to the meeting or give to Kath Bendle or Bill Grieve. Tickets will be available at the meeting ($1 each or 3 for $2).
Please note the following dates in you diary:
ACQUISITIONS: Books - Fishing with Hook & Line (c. 1910), Tales of Old Australia, Arithmetic, My Pocket Novels (bound) c.1918, Melbourne Street Directory 1930, Sankeys Sacred Songs & Solos (with music), The History of the Shire of Korumburra, Mud 'n Money.
MORE ABOUT GEORGE WRIGLEY - Search of the postal directories for the years around 1900 has revealed that George Wrigley lived in Male Street on the corner of Byron Street Brighton, until his death in 1900 when the property passed into other hands. The house is no longer extant, having been replaced in the 1960's.
George Borthistle Wrigley, George Wrigley's son, is listed as being the proprietor of "Free Stores" in Little Flinders and Little Lonsdale Streets, which were sold in 1899 and George Borthistle Wrigley is not listed after this in the postal directories in either the business or residential sections. Did he and his mother return to Ireland? Perhaps Jane Logan may be able to tell us! Jane read our web site, sent us an email message from Ireland and we await further word from her.
Last month, Allan Roberts from the South Gippsland Railway was our speaker. When the Great Southern Railway came through from Lang Lang, problems they faced were crossing of the Koo Wee Rup Swamp and the curves and gradients as it came through South Gippsland. With the district's coalmines opening up, railway extensions to them were essential. The first to Coal Creek opened in 1892, then Jumbunna in 1894 and Outtrim in 1896 and then extended to the other mines. The longest line ran from Korumburra to Jumbunna and Outtrim a distance of 11 km. Loaded trains found gradients difficult to climb. Allan also spoke about the Korumburra Station and the impact the Great Southern Railway made in the growth of Korumburra. An audiotape of Allan's talk is available from Nancye on 5674 2796.
We now have an updated Library List of our books. This will be displayed at our meetings and also included on our web site. Copies are available at $2.00 each. Contact 5674 2796 to borrow a book.
A number of our members attended the unveiling of a plaque at the Inverloch Cemetery on 25/10/2002. The plaque acknowledges the Inverloch Lions Club and others who have worked to enhance the Cemetery. Len Cuttriss also reported at our meeting that trees and shrubs have now been planted in the grounds.
The Bass Coast Shire Council Heritage Study, Stage 1, is currently on display and able to be perused in the Inverloch Community Centre Office. Eulalie Brewster has been checking this on our behalf.
Book Sales: Audrey Carter has accepted responsibility for this work. Should you wish to obtain copies of our publications, Audrey may be contacted on 5674 2763.
The Christmas Hamper Raffle: Tickets at the meeting and on sale in a'Beckett Street on the 14th & 21st December, drawn 1 p.m. on 21st December. Tickets $1 or 3 for $2. Donations of goods would be appreciated.
Please note the following dates in your diary:
Acquisitions: Great Faithfulness - A Century Publication of the Diocese of Gippsland 1902 2002 from Rev. Bruce Charles.
MAHERS LANDING AND JETTY
In 1882, William Maher was an original selector in this area and owned 10 hectares of land. He was a woodcutter and later a farmer. He gained a reputation for building homes, log cabins, stables and fences and, in 1886, he was contracted to build a large public jetty and customs shed on Anderson Inlet, 5 km from Inverloch, at the site we know as Mahers Landing. He bought and traded until finally he owned a large number of heavy workhorses and he bought feed for them from local farmers. The timbers used to construct the jetty and shed came from local farms being cleared and from Crown Land available for clearing. The horses were used to drag the timbers to the site, put them in place and to lift the pile drivers.
William's ability was tested with the planning and construction of the Great Southern Railway. When the jetty was completed more men and supplies arrived for the construction of the railway's trestle bridges, to be erected to the north in the valleys of the Tarwin River, between Koonwarra and Meeniyan. The longest of the three main bridges was 308 metres. Their construction required heavy poles and on site pit-sawn timbers, often taken from the very gullies they were to cross. Large green timbers were used instead of the sawn stacked and air-dried timbers that were later prescribed. Local red gum and blue gum trees proved the most successful and were relatively inexpensive for the bridge building teams in Gippsland.
Supplies including bolts, plates, tools, ropes, tents, bedding, food and clothing formed the bulk of the cargo arriving at the jetty. The workmen and their families, coming and going, also used Mahers Landing jetty, which operated until 1892. The Great Southern Railway was completed to Palmerston (Port Albert) in 1896. When work slowed on the railway, William Maher was again contracted to build the bridge over the Tarwin River to replace John Wydell's punt service. Work on the bridge commenced in 1891 and was completed the next year. Such was his expertise, William Maher, his workmen, horses and equipment could complete the average road-bridge in as little as two weeks.
The Mahers Landing 23 town block subdivision saw the erection of homes, boarding houses, hotels and wine-saloons catering for those arriving and departing from the jetty. - Contributed by Norm Deacon.
Copyright © 2000
Inverloch Historical Society