The first Bible Christian Church, a small brick building, was opened at Thyra (which was then called Bunnaloo) in 1888. In 1911 it was replaced by the present building. The Sunday School, next to the church, was opened in 1958. Over the years a number of baptisms, weddings and funerals have been conducted in the church.
There are few, if any stones in the district so to erect a pioneer memorial cairn in front of the church, the families of the district were all asked to bring a stone to represent their pioneer families. From these the memorial cairn was erected. In 1969 the church was renovated, and reversed so that what was the back, nearest the road, is now the front.