Metro East is a voluntary swimming association that enables swimming clubs in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne to compete at a district level. Before the founding of this Association in 1958, Clubs in this area travelled to Melbourne and Brunswick for competition.
A Piece of History..
In December 1958 an inaugural meeting with representatives of Belgrave, Lilydale, Dandenong, Seville and Ringwood together with Mr. L Phillips and Mr. B Carter from the Victorian Amateur Swimming Association was held in the home of Mr. S McArthur and the DANDENONG RANGES DISTRICT SWIMMING ASSOCIATION (DRDSA) was formed.
In January 1959, Mr. W Whelan and Mr Predl were elected President and Secretary respectively.
At the first Annual General Meeting, in May 1959, Mr. Whelan and Mr. Predl retired. Mr. S McArthur and Mrs. P McArthur were elected President and Secretary respectively.
The first District Championship Carnival was held at Lilydale on 13th February 1960, with all Clubs competing. It was at the first District Championship Carnival that a silver trophy was donated to the District by a friend of the Belgrave Club. This trophy is known as the "Friendship Trophy", and is presented each year to the winner of the Women's Open Freestyle Relay. Sometime later the Association purchased a second trophy which is presented to the winner of the Men's Open Freestyle Relay.
Clubs have come and gone over the years. 1961 saw Seville go out of existance, 1962 witnessed Nunawading and Wedge join the Association and compete in the Championships. Croydon entered in 1964, Boronia in 1965 and Maroondah in 1966. 1967 saw Dandenong and Wedge transferred to District No. 6 by the VASA and 1970 saw the introduction of Monbulk.
Active affiliated Clubs within the District now are :- Boronia, Croydon, Gen Aquatic, Healesville, Kew, Lilydale, MLC Aquatic, Monbulk, New Street Sharks, Nunawading, PLC Aquatic, Yarra Ranges, Ringwood, and Surrey Park.
In 2003 a new logo "Metro East" was created for the DANDENONG RANGES DISTRICT SWIMMING ASSOCIATION. The logo depicts the Hills of the nearby Dandenong Ranges and at the same time the movement of water.