Writing your story
You may wish to write a story of your ancestor. These guidelines may be of assistance to you.
- Include basic information, example. Name, date, and place of birth, parent's names and dates of birth.
- What schooling did they have?
- If born elsewhere, when and how did they get to Australia?
- Where did they live at various stages throughout their life?
- What job / occupation did they have?
- Who, when and where did they marry?
- Names and birth dates of issues.
- Were they known for anything (for example, first white child born in the area, won the school spelling bee three years running, played lead in role in school pageant, politician, actor, most children or noted for lots of marriages.
- When did they die?
- Is there anything you want / need to know about them, that maybe someone that could help you.
Use these guidelines to begin writing about your own family.
- How did you get into researching your family's history?
- How far back have you gone?
- In what counties are you searching?
- What is the most interesting fact you have uncovered?
- Do you plan to put a book together with all your research?
- Have you already written a book? Do we have a copy in our library?
- If you have already had a book published, how did you go about doing this (briefly)?
- How are you storing your information? What filing system are you using?
- What sort of family tree/pedigree chart do you use?
- Who is in the oldest photo you have? What is the occasion?
- What sort of unusual certificates / documents have come into your possession?
- Apart form the usual BDM, IGI, CSV, etc. records, where have you researched.
- Have you organized a reunion? Have you attended any reunions? How did they go?
- Have you been able to solve a puzzle using a process that might be of interest to others? if so, what?
- Have you hit the proverbial brick wall? Do you need help with something? (Is it something you would like include under Can You Help? that could go in our Up Date sent out to members.)