Victoria and John Monash (left) with construction gang.
Photo courtesy of Peter F. B. Alsop, Geelong.
An entry in Monash's diary for 25 October 1899 reads: "With Vic at 5.30 a.m. to Fyansford, turning North half of West 60 ft. Home by 11.30 p.m." (By that time the arch strips and spandrels on the southern side of the bridge had been built.) No other entries concerning visits to Fyansford mention Victoria, so this may be the date of the photograph.
Another print of this photograph is reproduced in a web page of the Monash University Rare Books Room. [Link.] An inscription describes the two figures on the right as foreman Chris Christensen and clerk J. Buick. Some caution is indicated, as the date '1896' is three years before work began, and the foreman's name has been remembered as 'Cristisen'. However, the placement of the figures is consistent with their organisational status. The Rare Books Room site contains concise general information about Sir John. The page entitled 'The Engineer' contains other interesting photographs and facsimiles.
|History of the Monier arch bridge at Fyansford.||[Return to]|