A History of Lower HomeBush Lower Homebush Today  Historic  Photos Plans, Maps & Sketches
Written Material about The Village and Schools Appendix of b/w Homebush photos Appendix of Plans Maps & Sketches Link to b/w Homebush photos

Click here to return to the main webpage for the story of Homebush.

Click here to return to the main webpage for the Avoca and District Historical Society Inc.

A History of HomeBush

(N.B. These webpages have been converted from a self-contained CD produced originally by Douglas Wegener. Please inform me - Denis Strangman - if you come across any broken links.)

Including Lower Homebush          37 2’  Sth. Lat.    143 29’  E. Long.

HomeBush is a postal and Road Board town in the Parish of Homebush and the County of Gladstone and the electoral district of Avoca, situated 4 miles N. E. the Avoca River, and 2 miles s.w. of the Bet Bet Creek. It is 805 feet above sea level. The township of Avoca is 4 miles s.w. and there as communication 3 times per week.  Homebush had a railway station and was linked with the Maryborough and Avovca line, 124 miles n.w. Melbourne and fares were 20s pd and 13s pd in 1888.

Hotels: 

Homebush

Working Miners and 2 others

Flour Mill:

Joyce’s [6 miles north of the township]

Schools: 

Lower Homebush # 2258

Upper Homebush #1579 [incorporated # 336] with residence

Police Station:

the nearest was in Avoca ?

Public Hall:

Lower Homebush Public Hall

Churches:

Wesleyan Chapel

Union Church

Boarding House:

Miss Bligh’s

Shops:

Squires Store includes Post Office and Savings Bank

Bradley’s Store

Miss Welch’s Drapery Store

Bostok’s Butchery

Harris’s Store

Wilkinson’s Store

Dress making was a very popular occupation carried out by some people who resided in the stores. Miss C. E. Smith nee Squires was a very well known and much loved dress maker in the village for many years.

Population:

1859 to 1865 - gold rush years estimated at 20,000 including Chinese, Cornish and other nationalities.

1888 – 450

1899 – 170

1982 – 35

1999 – 0

2000 – first new house in 100 years  [2 persons to reside when completed]

Mines: 

Alluvial and deep lead: the gold was coarse and bright in colour. The Working Miners # 1 was the richest with 7, 000 ounces per week being extracted for some time.  The largest nuggets found were 103 and 73 ounces respectively. The Working Miner’s # 1 drove 700 feet underground to strike payable gold. Unfortunately, a burst of sand and water took place, which terminated the career of one of the best mines in Victoria.

Mining Companies:

Working Miners # 1 estab. 1875 Mr. James Pearce Mgr.

Golden Lake Co. estab. 1876

Working Miners # 1 restab. 1877/78 Mr. T Walters Mgr.

Working Miners # 2 estab. 1879

Amalgamated Working Miners # 1 & 2 estab. 1880

Son’s of Freedom Co. estab. 1872 [very small]

Try Again Co. etab. 1873 [very small]

Other mines in the area:

Excelsior

Wilson & Shiell’s ,

Iron Bark Gully

North Homebush

Phoenix

Housing:

calico tent

log and slab huts with bark roofs

tin huts with bark roofs

milled timber buildings with bark roofs

milled timber buildings with tin roofs

Recreational Activities:

 The people of Homebush were very industrious and musical by nature and it was recognised as a happy locality. The township had a brass band, a Homebush Field Artillery [re-enactments only] a Mounted Rifle team and Children’s Pony Club. Many concerts were held to raise money for school and church activities.

Sporting Organizations:

Cricket- 3 teams

Football- 3 teams

Fishing Clubs for angling and cray fishing

Hunt Club- with beagle hounds

Cycling Groups  

Tennis Clubs

Copyright 2003 by Mr Douglas Wegener and the Avoca and District Historical Society Inc.