ADHS Newsletter No. 193 JUNE, 2001
Return to index page for Pyrenees Pioneers newsletter.
Items of interest:
June Meeting - The Story of the Hubble Family - The speaker at our June meeting, held at the Court House on Sunday, 17th June, has to be the envy of any family historian. His forebears kept detailed journals and diaries which are still in the family today! Thus Darryl Wagstaff kept us enthralled as he told the story of his Hubble ancestry, with its day-by-day details.
Maryborough pioneer Robert Hubble was born at Tunbridge, Kent, on 13th April, 1816, his parents being Robert Hubble and Philladelphia Martin. He became a carpenter-undertaker in London and later was employed at the British Museum for eight years, making display cabinets, etc. Robert married Mary Ann Daniels before he was 21 years of age, and they had eight children, seven of whom died young, followed by the death of Mary Ann herself, leaving Susannah the only surviving child He then married Eliza Fisher at Knightsbridge, where two children were born, Emily and Robert (Bob). Robert and Eliza decided to emigrate with Susannah, Emily and Bob, and sailed for Australia on board the S.S. Birmingham, arriving at Port Fairy in 1855. After living at Warrnambool for a while, they came to the Alma Diggings in 1856. Here Robert recorded in his diary, "Found a bit of gold". Then disaster struck when he lost all his money at the White Star mine and the family moved to Barkly Street, Maryborough, where they lived in a tent. There were two more moves before they settled in a villa in Carlyle Street (now Inkerman Street).
From about 1858, Robert Hubble worked as a carpenter for Edward Harkness before opening his own furniture shop in Tuaggra Street in 1861. Later, he conducted a carpentry, undertaking and house-shifting business until his retirement in 1887. At this point, he handed over the business to his three sons, with young Robert (Bob) taking charge of the undertaking, John as manager (a position he held for sixty years), and William in charge of the timber yard and shop sales. The name of the business was changed from "R. Hubble and Sons" to "Hubble Bros."
Robert Hubble was a staunch member of the Methodist Church and the Protestant Alliance and died in 1903, aged 87, whilst his wife, Eliza, died in 1907, aged 84.
Darryl, whose mother was a Hubble, gave fascinating details of the business activities from the diaries, such as the purchase of the first hearse in 1881 for £120, a coach for £30, and plumes for £15. Two pairs of horses were required for funerals, one to pull the hearse and one for the coach, the horses being adorned with the black plumes. The journals reveal that the first motor vehicle was purchased on 15th May, 1919, from Colman and Lardner, of Maryborough, at a cost of £220, the registered number of the vehicle being 17041.
The business grew in several ways in those years, involving insurance and friendly societies agencies, the ironmongery and timber yard in Tuaggra Street were expanded, and they made their own coffins for the undertaking part of the activities. Then, in 1926, by which time there were several family members employed in the business, there was another name change to "Hubble Bros. and Co. Pty. Ltd.", with John Hubble as chairman, and his son, Robert (known as Bingo), as secretary of the company and in charge of the undertaking. The business traded very successfully until 1941, having given 81 years of service to the community.
It was then that tragedy struck with the accidental death of Robert (Bingo) whilst cleaning a gun. He was 47 years of age. The shock of losing his son deeply affected John and he died just two weeks later, at the age of 83. It was interesting to note that DuBourgs, from Timor, were the undertakers for these two funerals. Later in that year of 1941, the family business was sold to Phelans. In 1973, the buildings which had been the Hubble business were destroyed in a big fire at Phelans complex.
The Hubble family were also involved in community affairs and activities over many years. From 1880 to 1986, there was always a Hubble serving with the Maryborough Fire Brigade (and Darryl is currently the Captain of the Fire Brigade) whilst Bob Hubble (son of pioneer Robert) was a councillor and served as Mayor in 1903-1904 and again in 1912-1913. The Masonic Lodge, the Brass Band, rifle shooting and cricket were other areas of interest. Family members served their country in both World Wars, with Edward Hubble paying the supreme sacrifice in WWI, aged 21.
Darryl Wagstaff now carries on the family tradition as an undertaker in Maryborough. We are indebted to him for taking the time to give us such a detailed insight into his family story, which is very much woven into the fabric of the history of Maryborough.
Next Meeting - Our next meeting will be held at the Court House on Sunday, 15th July, at 1.30 p.m. After the business meeting, we are to visit "The Mill" Information Technology Centre which is situated at the Pyrenees Information Centre on High Street. Wendy Taylor will explain what this new Government initiative is all about and those who do not have computers will have the opportunity to view this Societys excellent web page and the many other sites linked to it
Looking Ahead - The following suggested events have yet to be confirmed :
Sunday, 19th August - Speaker to be arranged.
Sunday, 16th September - Walking Tour of Dunolly, with Ron Carless as our guide.
Sunday, 21st October - Visit to Lexton Public Hall to view Federation Photographic
Can You Help? - Astute readers will have noticed at the top of this newsletter that the positions of President and Secretary of this Society remain vacant and we are still seeking nominations from interested folk to fill these vacancies as well as that of Assistant Secretary.
History is where we came from and represents who we are today. Deep down inside most of us is the desire to know from whence we came and this fact is borne out today with family history research being one of the most popular pastimes for so many of us. Indeed, it becomes a total obsession for many folk. The many historical societies which have been formed in recent years have come into existence just in time to salvage something of our past and our heritage.
The Avoca and District Historical Society was formed in 1984 and is meeting the needs of researchers in our area through its policy of indexing any records to which it can gain access. It now has a card index system containing close to 100,000 entries covering people, buildings, schools, occupations, etc., and this is constantly being added to. The Societys excellent web page creates much interest and generates many family history enquiries.
Although membership of the Society numbers more than 200 Australia-wide, and beyond, more local members are needed to assist in the Societys valuable work at its Local and Family History Resource Centre at the Court House.
Back in 1984, there was a large group of local enthusiasts who successfully laid the foundations of the Society but, over the years, time has taken its toll one way and another and these original local members have not been replaced. Thus, the work of maintaining the Societys records, acquisitions, etc., at the Court House now falls to a very small band of dedicated members.
If you are looking for a new interest, live in the wider Avoca area, and would like to be actively involved in the work of the Society, you can contact Jan Burnett on 5465 3265 or Dorothy Robinson on 5465 3528. They would be delighted to hear from you.
Condolences - The Society extends deepest sympathy to Denis Strangman and family on the death of his wife, Margaret, on 19th June, after a courageous battle with a malignant brain tumour. The daily bulletins appearing on the web site "Margs Journey" (linked to our own) have been inspirational and have shown what a very special person Margaret was. A brave lady is now at rest.
New Members - A warm welcome is extended to the following new members
Ms Lorraine HUDDLE, of Belmont, Vic., who is the Heritage Adviser for the Pyrenees Shire (one day per month) and is able to help with restoration, identification and conservation of heritage places.
Ms Mary Anne GRAY (nee McCARTHY), of Werribee, Vic., who is researching the family of John and Honora McCARTHY, who came from The Firies, Co. Kerry, Ireland.
Joan SEMMLER, of Mildura, Vic., whose interest is the DEIMEL family.
Mrs. Wendy RUTTER, of Morwell, Vic., who is researching the DOMNEY family.
A Reminder - Subscriptions Are Due - We are grateful to the many members who have renewed their membership so promptly. We would urge those of you who have not done so yet to fill in the renewal form in the April newsletter and post it, with your cheque, to the Treasurer. For those who remain unfinancial, this will be the last newsletter posted to you.
The Central Highlands Historical Association will hold a luncheon and Annual General Meeting on 11th August at the Snake Valley Hall. Cost is $15 per head for a three-course meal, proceeds to go to the Snake Valley Fire Brigade. For details contact Joan Hunt on (03) 5342 8782.
Database of Cornish Pioneers of Bendigo - The Cornish Association of Bendigo and District and the Cornish Association of Victoria are compiling a database of Cornish pioneers of Bendigo, with over 2,000 names already entered on it. The aim is to record the names and biographical information of as many Cornish-born pioneers as possible who spent some time in Bendigo, no matter how short. It is hoped to have this database ready by March, 2002. If you have a Cornish background and would like more information, write to Cornish Pioneers Database, P.O. Box 121, Eaglehawk, Vic., 3556, or find the form on the Bendigo Cornish Association web page at http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bendcorn/
Maitland Mercury Newspaper Index - We have been advised that Rod and Wendy Gow have released the index to the Maitland Mercury newspaper of 1846 (January to June). This index is available on a set of seven microfiche, containing over 19,000 entries on 840 pages and is available for $35, including postage. This is the fourth index in the series, others covering the years 1843, 1844 and 1845 on sets of six microfiche at a cost of $33 per set, as well as the index to the Hunter River Gazette newspaper, December, 1841 to June, 1842, on a set of two microfiche, costing $27, are also available. You can e-mail Rod and Wendy Gow at email@example.com
Pioneer and Settlers Register 1865-1899, Charters Towers - The Charters Towers and Dalrymple Family History Association Inc. has now published this Register and copies are available for a cost of $18 (plus postage) from the Association at P.O. Box 783, Charters Towers, Qld. 4820.
Charters Towers Northern Miner Index - Also available from the Charters Towers and Dalrymple Family History Association Inc. is a new release of Extracts of Public Notices, 2nd Edition, 1885-1889, at a cost of $10, plus postage.
Pre 1901 Pioneer Family Register of the Midwest of Western Australia - This new publication gives names and family details of almost 950 individual pioneers who came to the Midwest Region of Western Australia prior to 1901. There are details of how they arrived in Australia and Western Australia, the form of transport used to reach this area, and the occupation they followed in those early days. The book consists of 188 A4 pages, costs $27.50 plus postage, and is available from the Geraldton Family History Society Inc., P.O. Box 2502, Geraldton, W.A. 6531, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, web page www.wn.com.au/gfhs
LEXTON AND GOLD - The 1st of July, 2001, sees the start of celebrations to mark 150 years since the official discovery of gold in Victoria. Lexton (originally known as Burnbank) remembers the part it played in the discovery of gold in Central Victoria.
In the winter of 1845, two Scottish gentlemen, David Anderson and William Millar, established a village at the junction of the squatters western and northern tracks where Major Mitchells line of road from Portland to Sydney was intersected by the track being followed by squatters travelling from Geelong, Buninyong and Burnbank on into the Wimmera.
By the time the official gold discoveries were announced in July, 1851, Burnbank was well established, with two hotels, an official post office, stores, five carriers, sawyers, shoemakers, a tailor, several blacksmiths and wheelwrights, carpenters, teachers and all the tradesmen and professionals needed to make up a township.
James Esmond was well known in Burnbank, as he had worked on Woodstock Station and had been the driver of the mail coach from Buninyong, via Burnbank, across the Pyrenees and on to the Wimmera, before he went to California looking for gold. On his return from California, Esmond again became involved in the search for gold. The story goes that shepherds from Camerons Run, Clunes, told stories of gold while drinking at the Burnbank Inn. Esmond, with his companions Pugh, Burns and Kelly, set off from Burnbank along the Majors Line across to Camerons Run, and found gold in July, 1851.
News of Esmonds discovery was published in The Geelong Advertiser on Monday, 7th July, 1851. There followed a rush of diggers making the journey to Clunes from Geelong, via Buninyong and Burnbank. The small township of Burnbank, already a centre for Government administration, immediately became a scene of great activity and excitement.
Newspapers of the day, including The Argus, The Melbourne Daily News and The Geelong Advertiser, all reported the part being played by the township of Burnbank. Many of the first picks and cradles used on the diggings were made by the carpenters and blacksmiths of Burnbank. Thomas Clappertons wagons from the Pyrenees Store Co. at Burnbank were the first supply wagons on the diggings. Their tent store received some unfavourable comments because of the high prices being charged for goods! The provision of services for the diggers at Burnbank continued for at least another decade as prospectors criss-crossed Central Victoria, moving from one gold discovery to another.
A change of name for the township took place unexpectedly on 4th February, 1852, when a notice appeared in the Victorian Government Gazette saying that the name of the town was to be changed from Burnbank to Lexton.
Having been established before the official gold discoveries, Lexton (Burnbank) does not have substantial buildings, but it is proud of its historical background and the role it played in the early days of the Central Victorian goldfields.
(My thanks to Margaret Oulton for this interesting article on the importance of Lexton in our early history of the goldfields. Ed.)
FEDERATION - In last months newsletter, we looked at the story of how Federation came about on 1st January, 1901. It is interesting now to look through the names of residents in Avoca, shown on the Electoral Roll, who voted at the Victorian Federal Referendum in 1899 :-
ANDERSON Robert Miner ARNOLD Frederick W. Miner
ARNOLD Arthur Miner
BAILEY Charles Butcher BRENNAN James Gentleman
BAILEY William Farmer BROOKS Henry Storekeeper
BANNISTER Arthur Carter BROWN James Cordial Maker
BANNISTER Thomas Farmer BROWN William " "
BARBAT Auguste J. Produce Dealer BROWNLOW Edward S.P. Compositor
BEDDOES George Miner BURCH William Shoemaker
(High Street) (Avoca Lead)
BOWEN John Carter BURNS David Draper
CAMPBELL John Farmer CLASSEN Carl Cabinet Maker
CARTER Ralph " CLASSEN Henrich C. Coach Painter
CHAPMAN John T. Sawyer CLASSEN Herman Cabinet Maker
CHARTRES William Farmer COGHLAN John Miner
CHELLEW William M. sen. Engineer COGHLAN John Private
CHELLEW William M. Watchmaker COMINS Arthur Engineer
CLARK George Storeman COOK Francis Miner
CLARRIS John Miner COOK George Miner
DALEY William C. Miner DIXIE Arthur W Engineer
DALY Edward C. Net Maker DONNAN John A. Draper
DANCE Frederick Carpenter DOWNING John Miner
DAVIES William Miner DOWNTON George Draper
(Blacksmiths Gully, Avoca) DOWSLEY, Henry F. Produce Dealer
DERRICK Thomas Farmer
EBELING Gustavus A. Produce Dealer ELLIOTT Benjamin Farmer
FARNSWORTH David Miner FORBES Charles Teacher
FIELD Frederick Farmer FOSTER William Publican
FILBEY Robert Gentleman
GEER William H. Clergyman GRAY William Clergyman
GILBERT William P. Draper GREENWOOD Richard H. Tailor
GOLDER Alfred Blacksmith GREGORY Thomas Publican
GOODE Edmund B. Postmaster GREY Charles J. Clerk of Courts
GOUGE John Miner GRIMER Charles G. Medical Practitioner
HAKENDORF James Tailor HEMPSEED James Tinsmith
HAMMILL John Brickmaker HENDERSON Alexander Storekeeper
HARBOUR David Farmer HENDERSON James Smith
HARRIS James Clerk HENDERSON Joseph C. Watchmaker
HARVEY Charles T. Carter HERLIHY Edmund J. Storeman
HARVEY James HILDEBRAND James Miner
HARVEY William HOPE George
HARVEY William A. Storeman HORN William H. Labourer
HAYNES William Gardener (High Street)
HELLINGS Thomas Bricklayer HUTCHISON George Bootmaker
IMPEY Llewelyn Labourer IMPEY George H. Grocers
IMPEY Thomas jnr. Butcher (High St.) Assistant
JOHNSON Henry Blacksmith JOHNSTONE John Gentleman
JOHNSON William Doctor JOHNSTONE Robert Dairyman
KAYE Francis H. Harness Maker KEATING Richard Miner
KAYE Henry Carpenter KELLY William Miner
KEARNEY Edward M. Blacksmith (Avoca Lead)