Ihs_ripple4.gif (34881 bytes)

Home Up Contents

Inverloch Historical Society Inc

2004 Newsletters
1998 Newsletters 1999 Newsletters 2000 Newsletters 2001 Newsletters 2002 Newsletters 2003 Newsletters 2004 Newsletters 2005 Newsletters


2004 Newsletters

IHS Newsletters were distributed for the following months during 2004; January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November.

January 2004

Why not join us for this first meeting in 2004! Visitors and friends are welcome! At about 2.15 p.m., prior to the meeting, we enjoy a cuppa and chat then settle to a brief business meeting, followed by a speaker.

At our November meeting, Iris Earnshaw spoke on the history of Christmas cards. They originated in England, "invented" by John Callcot Horsely of the Royal Academy. The credit for marketing them belonged to Sir Henry Cole. In 1846 he invited Horsely to make a sketch for such a card. Sir Henry printed only 50 copies and they sold at 1/- each. The public, who saw them as a novel and inexpensive Christmas present, bought them all and another 2000 were printed and sold. The following year several companies marketed them. The first card was produced in Australia in 1881 by Robert Sands, son of the publisher, John Sands. He held a competition, offering a £50 prize, to produce original designs and verses for Australian Christmas cards. The 700 entries were displayed in the Art Gallery, NSW. Millions of cards have since been printed and used. Eulalie Brewster told of Christmas in her home when she was young - remembering roast chickens and plum puddings with 3d's in them. Eulalie read a story of Harold Drowley called "Pennies from Heaven". It told of a time, when they were desperately short of money as a cheque had not arrived and how their need was met. Sylvia Trott read a piece she had written about her early childhood Christmases held in English cold mid-winters. She told of the tall Christmas tree in the house - its lights switched on by Father Christmas on Christmas eve. When the family arrived here it was just so different. Her mother said it was too hot to eat and too hot to have Christmas. They gradually adapted to the radical change in climate - even putting a bowl of cold water out for the reindeers to drink! Mary Ward reminisced by reciting "The Night St. Nicolas Came" by Clement Moore and Jim Ward gave a Stanley Holloway monologue of "The Lion and Albert" and "The Return of Albert" by Marian Edgar. Thank you to all who participated. To conclude the meeting we all enjoyed a Christmas afternoon tea.

Inverloch's Name Day (1889) was celebrated on 1/12/2003 when 20 members met and enjoyed dinner together at the Inverloch Chinese Restaurant. A working bee was held on 3/12/2003 to weed and tidy up around the old sea wall. Our thanks to those who helped. Another working bee is needed to finish the job! The Christmas hamper raffle raised $411.50. A good effort!! We thank our donors and helpers, particularly Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve who have organised this each year. Prizes: lst R. Speed, 2nd Pauline Hanley. At the Angling Club Market on 4/1/2004 we featured a pictorial display of early Inverloch and sold books and cards. Norm Deacon compiled a brief chronological "200 year history of Inverloch & District" leaflet which was also available at $1 donation. Town walks (2) to Inverloch's historic sites were held on Friday 2/1/2004 when 13 attended and on Monday 5/1/2004 when 21 attended. They were led by Eulalie Brewster, our Patron and local historian, who spoke on the places visited and about some of the events in Inverloch's past.

On Sunday, 8/2/2004, Inverloch's Proclamation Day, members are invited to a luncheon in the RSL Hall which will be attended by the South Eastern Historical Society. There will be a speaker from the Public Records Office. The S.E.H.A. will hold their Quarterly Meeting in the afternoon. Enquiries to Norm Deacon. Cost of the lunch $10.00 (to be paid at our next meeting.


bullet"A collection of Aboriginal Words" compiled by Norman Deacon from Norman Deacon
bulletBank of Australasia records (including Inverloch) from 1880-1892, from Doug Boston
bullet "The Count - A life of Paul Edmund Strezlecki", "The Memoirs of Field-Marshall Earl Alexander of Tunis 1940-45" and "Citizenship" by Ed. J. S. Lay (1928) from N. Durham.

Our thanks to these donors.


Books are available from the Society. A loan is for one month and the borrower is responsible to return it to the person who issued the book. (56742796).

Book Sales

Publications are available from the Inverloch Newsagency, The Sea Shed and the Bunurong Bookshop or from our supplier, Audrey Carter

bullet"A collection of Aboriginal Words" compiled by Norman Deacon – cost $10, available from our supplier Audrey Carter (5674 2763).

February 2004

We meet at about 2.15 pm, prior to the meeting, to enjoy a cuppa and chat and then settle to a brief business meeting, followed by a speaker. Why not come and meet us? Visitors and friends are welcome!

Last month, Mark Rogers from Origin Energy (BassGas), Bass Coast Project, spoke at our meeting. Many of us, who have driven up through Kilcunda in the past year will have seen this Project's base on the right side of the Bass Highway. This initial stage was drilling under the Highway, dunes, beach and into the sea toward the gas field. Mark spoke of the work involved at that stage. It is 147 Kms to the offshore platform on the Yolla gas field. The well is 3.5 kms into the earth's core. The pipeline depth on the seabed is 80 - 96 metres and this will later form a reef. In November 2003, Semac 1, a pipelaying barge, moved by tugs, lowered the pipes to the seabed. We heard how the onshore pipeline is now wending its way across 32 kms of farm lands to the Bass Gas plant which is situated between Lang Lang and Nyora with a branch pipeline to the gas grid at Pakenham. The land used for this is a 20 metre easement which is cleared and prepared. A trencher with wheel and buckets works to dig and bury the pipes, covering 2 kms/day. The pipes are welded and an x-ray anode of the weld is made and checked. Later the ground will be re-vegetated. Throughout the talk photographs were shown of various aspects of the work and the plan of the Gas Plant. The Plant layout includes a water management plan - after water treatment this will be diverted to form a wetlands. Equipment for the Plant is being manufactured here. The offshore platform, which is steel, is being built in Indonesia and weighs 40000 tons. When installed, steel stauncheons will hold the platform to the seabed. Mark is to return when the Gas Plant and offshore platform are completed to finish the BassGas story. We thank Mark for his interesting and informative presentation. An audiotape of Mark's talk is available for loan from our library (5674 2796).

We thank the Bass Coast Shire Council for awarding the Society a Community grant of $3,000 for a computer and camera.

Our Society's web site is to be linked to the Royal Historical Society of Victoria MC2 project.

Interim plaques are to be installed to mark the Inverloch Bathing Enclosure 1910-1930 and the site of the old water tank, pump and well in the Picnic Ground.

Congratulations to John Murphy on his award of an Order of Australia Medal for his service to the preservation of history in the Gippsland area. John has written several books including "No Parallel" and "On the Ridge".

On Saturday, 13 March 2004, we will visit the "MAGNAT WRECK" (1902) at Venus Bay, meeting at Venus Bay Surf Lifesaving Club, No. 1 Beach at 8.30 a.m. This is a 3.3 kms (6.6 kms return) walk. It is suggested you wear a hat and bring a cool drink.


bulletInverloch's Scenic Views folder (1935), Postcard a'Beckett Street 1944 from Jack Borlase
bulletMany photographs of views, homes, businesses, school, RSL Hall, streets, hotels, etc. in 1977 from John Coghlan (Shepparton).

Our thanks to these donors.

William YOUL - The Immigrant 1842 – 1917

Compiled by John William Youl. Extracts by Ken Howsam.

William Youl is known as the designer of the Inverloch Mechanics Institute and Library (1897) and the street "Yuell Grove", named after him. It is said he suggested the name "Inverloch" when Anderson Inlet town was renamed in 1889. However, there are other theories as to the origin of the name "Inverloch". William Youl was born in 1842 at Stirling, Scotland, and emigrated to Melbourne with his parents and siblings in 1853. After completing his education, which had included musical training, he learnt the drapery business and also became proficient in carpentry and cabinet making. At age 24-25 he spent some time in Tasmania where he met Jessie White Veitch of Longford and married her at Woods Point, Victoria. They lived at Emerald Hill where the eldest child, John William Youl was born in 1868. Three other children were born over the next seven years; Eliza, Jessie and Marjory. William was employed in South Melbourne as a draper and, in 1874, had a drapery shop in Sandridge (Port Melbourne). Prior to this, he worked as carpenter and was licensee of Castle Clare Hotel, Sandridge. In 1875, he selected land at Bontherambo, south of Rutherglen, which he farmed in conjunction with his father. Crops failed and he sold out in 1886. He then worked as a carpenter and operated a cartage business. Five more children were born whilst there. He returned to a drapery business at Port Melbourne. In 1888, he selected land in South Gippsland, north of Anderson Inlet where his last two children were born. This venture was unsuccessful and he moved to Anderson Inlet (Inverloch) in 1890. To be continued.

March 2004

Our speaker this month is Mr John Gow, WWII veteran, who attended the dedication of the Australian War Memorial in Hyde Park London on 11 November 2003. Visitors and friends are welcome to attend!

At last month's meeting, Mrs Eulalie Brewster, local historian and Patron of our Society, spoke and showed slides on early days of Inverloch, dating back to 1890s. The range of slides shown included views of coastline, rocket shed, jetty, creeks, hotels, houses, schools, churches, post office, Mechanics Institute Hall, supply vessels, survey maps, roads and the coal wagons. We saw views of a wider Screw Creek with a narrow bridge cut from rough timber; the first postcard of Inverloch (1909) taken by Gerald Ford on glass negatives processed in England, showing the jetty from the eastern aspect and Kim Keys's boatshed on the shore. This jetty eventually sanded up and was reclaimed for the jetty car park and the bowling club. One often reflects on how the town was - we felt we had a glimpse into its past! We thank Eulalie for her commentary and showing her slides.

We welcomed members of the South Eastern Historical Association as we hosted their Committee & General meetings in the RSL Hall on 8/2/2004. Speaker at the General Meeting was Chris Papagianopoulos from Public Record Office Victoria. At midday, we held our Proclamation ceremony with Governor Loch (Barry Chandler) reading the proclamation and then proclaiming Anderson Inlet a township (8/1/1889). Thanks to our members who helped make the day a successful one.

In early February, a number of our members had a visit from Ian Henderson, grandson of Ernest Edward Henderson who resided in Inverloch in the 1920s. Ian is a civil engineer and lives in Taunton, Somerset, England and is researching his family history and had enlisted the aid of Lorna Beck who contacted Ken Howsam in August 2002. Ian is visiting Australia in search of his family roots as his father, Clifford, had done in the 1930s. Ian had contacted: Pam Hubbard regarding land in the Flat Rocks area once owned by Ernest Henderson; Noelene Lyons for identification of Ernest's grave; Ken Howsam re migration of the Henderson family from Clyde to Inverloch; Clive Newton for personal knowledge of the Henderson family and photographs and Norm Deacon concerning the Cemetery. Ian confirmed that the family had selected land at Clyde but was unable to find, with certainty, the grave of his great great great grandfather (John). His great great grandfather (Thomas Snr) and grandfather (Ernest) are buried in Inverloch Cemetery. His grandmother remarried and returned to Ireland with her son Clifford. Ian has permitted us to copy a photograph of Ernest's grave in 1930, which may help identify the site. (from K. Howsam).


Specifications & Contract for erecting a dance hall at Inverloch for Mrs Amelia Donohue. Cost three hundred and twenty pounds. Dated 8/10/1930 - from Liz Leigh

bulletPage from "Weekly Times", 12/1/1935 re Belshaw murder from Terry Poulton
bulletPhotographs of "Pine Lodge" and sea wall - from Mavis Parks
bullet"Matthew Flinders & George Bass" by David Mattingley
bullet"Bass Strait - Australia's Last Frontier" (ABC radio talks) from Hazel Hayes.

Our thanks to these donors.

William Youl (1842 - 1917) Part 2

In 1890 William Youl moved to Anderson Inlet (Inverloch) where he operated a store and a drapery business. He travelled to Outtrim, Jumbunna and Korumburra selling his knitted goods which were produced on a manually operated knitting machine. He once had a small shop, he also taught music and was secretary of the town's Progress Association. Late in their lives William and his wife moved from Inverloch to a small orchard he had bought at Chewton near Castlemaine. He died there in 1917 and his widow went to live with her daughter, Evangeline McCulloch and family, at Wonthaggi. She died in 1921. His eldest son, John, trained as an engine driver and was employed at the Outtrim Howitt & British Consolidated Coalmine and selected land in the region. In writing the Youl family story his great grandson describes William Youl as: "An able and talented man who worked hard and reared a large family; he tried his hand at many things but success eluded him. He was an accomplished writer and speaker and a talented musician and a skilled cabinet maker." Extracted from John Youl 1803 - 1882 Compiled by John William Youl.

Extracts by Ken Howsam.

April 2004

Our speaker this month will be Mr Allan Edney who will speak of his association with Inverloch some decades ago. All are welcome to join us for a cuppa and then to hear Allan's story.

Mr. John Gow OAM, spoke at our last meeting, on his visit to London in November 2003 for the dedication of the new Australian War Memorial in Hyde Park. John served with the 25th Infantry Battalion in the Pacific war zone and was one of 28 chosen to attend the ceremony. They were issued with regulation outfits and John wore his for us to view - resplendent with an impressive row of medals. Six carers and two nurses accompanied them on the visit. They met in Canberra where wreaths were laid and they attended a dinner at the War Museum and a reception at Government House where they met the Governor-General. Arriving in London the group were given hotel accommodation and every consideration, and taken sightseeing. At the service of dedication three chaplains, representing the three services, gave the blessing after which the Queen, Tony Blair and John Howard gave addresses. General Cosgrove and General Walker (UK Chief) and many guests were present. Wreaths were laid. The War Memorial contains the names of 24,000 towns and villages from where personnel enlisted in two world wars. A water feature passes over the names and at night it is floodlit. The three insignias of the armed forces are in place. The names are scattered over the memorial so you have to search for them. John found Loch, Glen Alvie, Lance Creek and Foster but not Kongwak. Battle areas are included in larger lettering. The Memorial is dedicated to the families in our towns and cities from where service personnel enlisted and recognizes the distress and grief suffered by the families of 101,000 personnel who did not return from these wars - a very unique and fitting memorial! Thank you John for your talk. An audiotape of the talk is available from our library.

On 13/3/2004 eight met and walked along Venus Bay beach to view the "Magnat". Only one piece of the wreck protruded - the remainder was buried under the sand! Perhaps disappointing but it was a good walk!

We are saddened by the sudden passing of Jim Ward, the Society's Foundation Treasurer, and extend our sympathy to Mary and their family. Jim and Mary told their story in their book, "Scrooby Top to Inverloch" Valé Jim!

We are also saddened by the passing of Jack Eldridge and extend our sympathy to Joan and their family. Jack regularly helped distribute our Newsletter through the town. Valé Jack!


bulletInverloch Primary School 1986 Centenary Committee Minutes - from Olive Wilson
bullet30 photographs from Wilma Hoppen (Ramsey)
bulletTidy Town Commendation certificate 1989, Woorayl Shire Study: Coastal Landscape 1990 from Inverloch Library
bullet"Forty Years at the Campsite" - the history of the Uniting Church Camp at Inverloch, 2000 by James Hood from Nancye Durham
bulletPhotographic copy of plans for Inverloch Primary School (2776) from Public Record Office of Victoria

Thank you to these donors.

The Easter Egg raffle was won by Jim Arnott of Inverloch. Our thanks to Kate Bendle, Bill Grieve and our ticket sellers.

You will recall the talk given at our January meeting by Mark Rogers from Origin Energy Bassgas. Latest news issued by Geoff Wearne, General Manager, is that the offshore YOLLA platform was towed from Batam Island, Singapore, arriving in the Port of Burnie, Tasmania, without incident on the 25th March 2004. The 100 metre high by 50 metre wide structure created great interest in Burnie. After engineering work was done there it was wet-towed to central Bass Strait and installed above the YOLLA gas fields off Kilcunda. The onshore pipeline is now fully installed and tested, including the pipeline to Pakenham. If you would like to see some of the latest video footage from the project, visit the BassGas website and follow the prompts on the front page.

Their website is: www.originenergy.com.au/bassgas

May 2004 

The speaker this month is Ron Sharp from the local State Emergency Services (SES).

We meet at 2.15 p.m., prior to commencement of the meeting, to enjoy a cuppa and a chat and to view any items etc. on display. Are you new to our town, just visiting here or live here but as yet haven't been to our meetings? We invite you to come along, meet us and enjoy a friendly welcome.

Allan Edney spoke at our last meeting on Bass Strait and its islands. The area of Bass Strait is 200 kms wide and 440 kms long and its depth is relatively shallow with an average of about 65 metres and it contains some 120 islands. It was discovered in 1795 by Bass and Flinders, after Cook and others had sailed past it without discovering it. Prior to discovery, all shipping had to sail around the southern tip of Tasmania. Going back in time, Allan told of 150 million years ago when Tasmania was attached to the mainland and the period of Gondwana. Tasmania was cut off for the first time 30 million years ago when the sea level was much higher than it is today and Wilson Promontory was an island. 26000 years ago there were two land-bridges between Tasmania and Victoria - one from Mornington to King Island and the other from Wilson’s Promontory to Flinders Island. Allan spoke about the ice cap warming and the effect on sea levels - long term forecasts suggest that this will occur again. The remnants of the land-bridges in Bass Strait has left 120 islands - most are in the eastern end of the Furneaux Group and King Island. A few years ago, the Navy discovered an undersea waterfall. This is created as cold water comes up from the Antarctic and hits the warm waters coming down the east coast and drops down the Continental Shelf which makes a huge gorge some 250kms long from Lakes Entrance to Flinders Island. This creates an undersea waterfall which is twelve times higher than Niagara Falls. The first European settlement on the Strait islands occurred in 1797 when the "Sydney Cove" under Captain Hamilton, left Calcutta with a cargo of 7000 gallons of rum. They ran into terrible storms and were forced to beach the vessel on Preservation Island. Thirteen men were despatched in a long-boat to go to Sydney town but they were forced to beach the boat on the 90-mile beach and, with no alternative, they commenced to walk to Sydney experiencing extreme hardships - only three arrived back. A ship, under Matthew Flinders, was sent to Preservation Island by Governor Hunter to collect the men and the cargo. Flinders also surveyed some of the area and reported that there were huge numbers of seals there. Two ships were sent to collect the seals and most were slaughtered - by 1807 the hair and the elephant seals were almost extinct and only the fur seals survived. Many of the men stayed on and were joined by escaped convicts and they became known as the Straitsmen. Allan's talk will be continued in a later issue.

There will be NO May excursion this month. Our next outing to visit historical and interesting places in South Gippsland will be held sometime in September. We will advise you well in advance when arrangements are made.


bulletPostcard folder of Inverloch from Mavis Parks; "Estimate for the Cape Paterson and Kilcunda Junction Railway”, dated 15 May 1888 from Lorraine Schwartz.

Our thanks to these donors.

At Easter, Banks Brothers closed their butchers shop at Inverloch shopping centre after serving the community for 53 years. Herbert Banks opened his first shop in William Street where "The Sea Shed" shop now is. We remember the two original shops the second was at the corner of Reilly and a'Beckett Streets. In those days, they were only small shops by today's standards, and had a fly-wire partition above the counter, which contained a small sliding door where the parcels of meat were passed through to the customers. Many of our members will recall waiting in the street for a customer to come out so they could enter and put their order in. Over the years, thousands of campers have called on them as well as residents. We thank them for their contribution to the community over the years and extend our best wishes to the family.

Book Sales

Publications are available from the Inverloch Newsagency, The Sea Shed and the Bunurong Bookshop or from our supplier, Audrey Carter; “A collection of Aboriginal Words" compiled by Norman Deacon - cost $10, available from our supplier Audrey Carter (5674 2763).

June 2004

This month Ingrid Holiday from the Department of Environment & Sustainability will speak on the Northern Pacific Seastar and its eradication.

We invite you to come and hear Ingrid. Come at 2.15 pm and enjoy a cuppa and a chat and view items on display!
Ron Sharp, Deputy Controller of Inverloch SES, spoke last month on the structure and role of the SES in the community. There are six regional offices - we are in the eastern region, which extends from Phillip Island to the Victorian border. The regional base is at Bairnsdale and a large unit is at Morwell. The SES budget is 10.5 million dollars and is the responsibility of Minister Andre Haermeyer. In 2002 State SES statistics showed responses as: Floods 312, Fire 91, Rescue 244, Marine rescue 33, Road accidents 1139, Land searches 219, Marine searches 37, and Storm damage 2842. Ron spoke of their participation in line searches, door knock for dangers, missing persons searches in city, bush and sea and backup assistance to other services with telephone, radio, etc and clean-ups of boats, vehicles, refuelling, etc. Inverloch's early history of a rescue service was run by men with their own big boat and CB radio. They were very busy, had no funding and no insurance cover either for themselves or those they rescued. They were open to various problems even from those they rescued. It was decided in 1984 to join the SES as it was considered an essential service and would also provide training. The SES do not consider ocean rescues as part of the service and did not supply a vessel. The Woorayl Shire Council gave $10,000 toward a vessel. Mr Bill Dillon of Venus Bay and other hard working members launched a public appeal around Anderson Inlet which raised $22,000 and enabled the present "Shark Cat Rescue 31" to be purchased and a truck and trailer. They also have a 6.5 metre catamaran, truck and trailer; an inflatable rubber boat and trailer with a 4WD to pull it; a 6 metre life raft and emergency equipment; two 200 hp Yamaha motors; a storm damage equipment trailer. These are housed in a shed in Blair Street. They welcome sponsorship. AAMI is their current sponsor and local assistance is given by Rotary and Lions Club. There is a need for community volunteers and support, both in the work and in fundraising. Ron gave helpful advice on storm damage, safety, power lines and contacts for help. We thank Ron for his interesting talk.

We thank Bass Coast Shire Council for a grant we received from them. We have now been able to purchase some computer equipment for the Society's work.

The Inverloch beach scene which occupies one window of the Post Office is showing signs of deterioration. This was painted for the Society by the late Mrs Bonnie Crawley in 1996. We are seeking someone who would be willing to donate their artistic talent to this project. Are you willing to help us??

Last month we received an email from Wendy Jarman of Tasmania seeking the whereabouts of her father Peter Baker from whom she had not heard for some time. He had been in a wheelchair and lived at 6 Inverloch Parade. With the help of Thelma Kee, Wendy Legg and Yvonne Hogan it was established that he had died about three years ago and had been cremated and his ashes scattered at Eagles Nest. Our email web site has, since its establishment, engendered enquiries regarding family history but never one as contemporary as this one.



Photographs (4) Esplanade Hotel, Broadbeach Caravan Park, Screw Creek Bridge, a'Beckett Street from Harry Barnett; Plan of Block 76 Beach Road, Mrs O'Donohue's Business from Bruce McMasters


Minutes of Meeting held in Inverloch's Mechanics Institute 1/2/1911 re "visit of the Railways Standing Committee to Inverloch" from Bruce McMasters; Broadbent's Map Gippsland - Inverloch Township c.1970 from Phil Jones


Inverloch Preschool 25th Anniversary Cookbook 1994 from Nancye Durham

Thank you to these donors.

The Annual General Meeting will be held on Wednesday 28 July 2004. The Annual Report and Financial Statement will be presented, followed by the election of Office-bearers and Committee Members. Members are asked to give consideration to nominating candidates for election.

A reminder that Annual Subscriptions are now due. If you have not yet joined, now is the right time! We need your support!!

July 2004

This month Dot and Frank McGarvey will speak on their recollections of Inverloch.

We meet at about 2.15 pm, prior to the meeting, to enjoy a cuppa, chat and view items on display and then settle to a brief business meeting followed by the speakers.  Visitors are welcome!

The 8th Annual General Meeting will be held this month.  The Annual Report and Financial Statement and Balance Sheet will be presented.  The election of Office-bearers and Committee members for the ensuing year will follow.  Only current financial members can nominate and be elected to these positions.

Last month Ingrid Holiday was unable to attend and, at short notice, Eulalie Brewster, our Patron and historian, stepped into the breach.  Showing a feature page of "The Weekly Times", January 1935, covering the Scout Jambouree at Frankston, she asked if any present had been in scouts or guides - 7 responded - and if any had attended this Jambouree?  Phil Jones, then a Cub, had spent a day there and Bob Sartain from 2nd Pascoe Vale Scouts had camped there.  Bob spoke of the visits of Lord Baden Powell and the Duke of Gloucester.  It was a 'rough' camp as there were no sleeping bags, just a ground sheet and old army blankets; the food was monotonous (bread, cheese & beef German).  The weather was hot and they got sunburnt and had only one swim whilst there.  A strong storm blew their tents down on the twelfth day and they went home 2 days early.  Bob was glad to go home!  "The Sentinel Times" 22/6/2004, in an obituary for Stephen Western of Arawata who recently passed on, aged 92, mentioned he had been involved in the scouting movement for some 60 years.  In 1934, Stephen had taken the Arawata Scout Group by wagon to the Frankston Jambouree.  His family was one who made an annual visit to Inverloch over many years for their summer holidays.

Eulalie then displayed photographs of the town's early grocery shops.  The first was owned by the Kidd family and then Charles (Doughy) Vietz.  Photos showed from 1910 through to 1995.  Members, Kath Bendle, Ruth Tipping and Mary Williams had, in their early years, worked in grocer's shops and remembered how many goods had to be weighed up & cheese, bacon and butter cut.  Orders were taken and made up for delivery.  Ruth told of a special corner of Cross's shop where medicines were kept as there was no chemist shop in Inverloch until 1950 when Max Annand opened his shop.  Goods often came out on Taffy Thomas's bus from Wonthaggi.  There was discussion on newsagents and post offices and their locations in the town.

Eulalie then displayed an "Activities Map for Pine Lodge Guests 1930" showing towns from San Remo to Foster, Tarwin Lower to Leongatha, the mileage involved and ideas for motoring trips.  Places of interest and road conditions were given.  Activities listed included fishing, horse riding, shooting, boating, racing, and hiking.  Entries on the map indicated where rabbits, hares, quail, snipe, deer, wallaby and fish could be located.  We hope to have this on display again.  Special thanks to Eulalie and to all who participated in this programme.

Excursion:  Wednesday 22 September will be our next outing and we ask you to make a note of the date.  We will visit Moe and Mirboo North.  Details will be available next month.



Photographs (3) from Noelle Green;


Valuations, letters and papers, "Pine Lodge" rough plan, Blue print of site & buildings, S.tank plans 14/6/1930, Plans of 9 Kenneth Street 1937, Esplanade Hotel S.tank plans 3/5/1935, Plan & notes on alterations to "Two Views Guest House" from Bruce McMasters;


"Our National Songs" Edited by Alfred H. Miles from Robin Allen.  

Thank you to these donors.

Recent visitors to Inverloch were John Ramsden and his wife, Joy.  John, his mother and sister lived at Inverloch for a year during the time the Navy used "Pine Lodge as a Rehabilitation Hospital.  They stayed at "Two Views Guest House" and the children walked to school from there.  John remembers going to "Pine Lodge" on Saturday nights for the film-shows the Navy provided.  He was most impressed with the plane spotting done by volunteers, his mother amongst them, who climbed the 'tower' at the back of the Esplanade Hotel to do this duty.

A reminder that Annual Subscriptions are now due.  If you have not yet joined, now is the right time!  We need your support!

August 2004

This month, Barry Atkins from the Toora Wind Farm, a Project of The Stanwell Corporation Ltd, Qld, will be our speaker.

The 8th Annual General Meeting was held last month.  The Annual Financial Statement & Balance Sheet for the year ending 30/6/2004, audited by Ron Webster, and presented by Mavis Parks Treasurer, was accepted.  President Ruth Tipping reported on some of the year's activities and then thanked all for their support.  Office‑bearers & Committee for 2004/2005 are President Bill Grieve, Vice‑Presidents Kath Bendle, Nancye Durham; Treasurer Mavis Parks; Secretary Norman Deacon; Asst Secretary Betty Deacon.  Committee: Robin Allen, Kevin Allen, Helen Jones (Registrar), Audrey Carter & Thelma Kee (Distribution books & Newsletters), Anne DeSalvo and Kathy Edmonds (afternoon teas).

Last month Frank McGarvey who has lived in Inverloch most of his life, was our speaker.  Frank's father and mother migrated from Ireland and settled at Minyip in the Wimmera but with droughts and poor crops they decided to move to Inverloch.  With neighbour Tom Murray, they purchased 800 acres, splitting it between them.  A house on the Esplanade was purchased and they lived there whilst clearing the land.  With Cliff Howard, a nearby farmer they cut, split and sold firewood to the bakeries in Wonthaggi and split beams to the Wonthaggi Coal Mine for mine supports.  They moved the house to their farm.  Roads then were gravel and an old chap graded them using two horses; drains were dug out manually.  Frank attended the Inverloch Primary School when the class room had only one teacher taking six grades.  Later another Grade III teacher was appointed.  Before and after school, Frank milked six cows by hand.  After he left school, he had 30 cows to milk whilst on the farm.  Many changes came with milking machines replacing manual milking; milk cans were phased out for tanker bulk collection, walk through milking shed became herringbone sheds and then rotary milking sheds where 300 cows per hour were milked.  Frank and his wife Dot, have always been involved in local community work.  Frank served on the Foreshore Committee when camping was permitted from Screw Creek to Eagles Nest but this was later phased out.  He was a member of the original Life Saving Club which had 30 members and used a “Camp Pell” hut as club rooms.  These huts were used in a migrant camp in Melbourne and cost 400 pounds delivered to Inverloch.  When the club closed, half of the hut became the Scout Hall in the Recreation Ground and the other half was used whilst the Bowling Club was built.  Frank served with the Fire Brigade for 15 years, Recreation Reserve Committee 10 years, Apex member 12 years, the new Community Centre Committee 10 years, the Cemetery Trust, the "Raise the Ripple" Committee and the newly formed Inverloch Lions Club.  Frank touched on the work these groups have achieved both for individuals and the town.  Thank you Frank!

South Gippsland Yacht Club recently indicated they will not be ready to vacate the Rocket Shed until April 2005 and will advise us as their plans progress.

In the Newsletter, June 2004, we told of receiving email from Wendy Jarman, in Tasmania, regarding her father.  A few weeks ago, Ken Howsam had a visit from Wendy who was visiting Inverloch to follow up our response.  Wendy thanked Ken for the information he had sent and kindly donated a patchwork quilt to be raffled for the Society's funds.  Thank you Wendy for this gift ‑ the raffle is being run by Kath Bendle ‑ tickets $1.00 each.

In lieu of our September meeting, there will be an excursion to Tarwin Lower, Tarwin Meadows, Cape Liptrap and Walkerville.  It was mentioned in our last issue that we were going to Moe and Mirboo North ‑ we have had to change our plans.  The bus will leave at 9.30 am from V‑Line Bus Stop.  BYO food and drinks.  Tea, coffee and hot water will be supplied.  Cost $10.  Booking is essential.  Contact Ruth Tipping on 5674 3319.  Tickets available at August meeting.



Article on Inverloch Surf Life Saving Club, Signage of Telstra Submarine Cable Project from Inverloch foreshore which was in the care of Inverloch SLSC ‑ from Alan Bolton


Old cooking leaflets from Robin Allen.

Thank you to these donors. 

Recent Purchases


"A Tale of Two Towns ‑ Dumbalk & Fish Creek" by Bryan Fitzgerald;


"Memoirs of a Stockman" by Harry H. Peck.

A reminder that Annual Subscriptions are now due. Now is the right time to join ‑ we need your support!

September 2004

In lieu of the normal meeting this month a bus trip is arranged to Tarwin Lower, Tarwin Meadows, Cape Liptrap and Walkerville.  There will be commentaries on the places we visit.  Bus will leave V ‑ Line stop, The Esplanade at 9.30am.  Cost $10.  BYO lunch & cool drinks (no shops), tea & coffee provided for morning tea & lunch.  Booking essential - Tel. 5674 3319 Ruth Tipping.  All welcome!!

Our speaker last month was Barry Atkins, from Toora Wind located off Silcock's Road.  It is a project of The Stanwell Corporation Ltd, a Queensland State Government company.  The wind farm began construction in January 2001 after the government considered alternatives to provide electricity to cut greenhouse emissions.  Solar or wind, cost factors and the investment dollars were all important in decisions.  The history of wind farms in Victoria started with an SEC (Vict.) investigation and report in 1982 which included climate changes, global warming and the possibility of wind generation as a supply option - developing 450-650 megawatts by 2005.  The SEC was broken up in 1990 but their presentation resulted in development.  A permit was granted which specified type and size of the wind farm; aspects of environmental control, monitoring, management and site activities.  There were 12 turbines, each 1.75 megawatts output, installed by 2002.  Their annual capacity is 21 megawatts supplying 6,600 homes and resulting in greenhouse gas savings of 48,000 tonnes.  The project has raised issues concerned with visual impact, employment, shadow flicker, noise and bird kills.  Future energy considerations include hydro, coal, wave motion, gas and solar.  Discussion followed Barry's presentation and included speed of the blades, the life of the turbines, the design of the blades, life of the towers, where were they made and could they be camouflaged ‑ perhaps painted!!  Toora Wind Farm's publicity tells us wind turbines require little maintenance, use wind to produce power and turbines produce no waste so they don't pollute the environment.  Thank you Barry for an informative talk and presentation.

We appreciate and thank the Inverloch National Australia Bank for supporting our project to purchase an LCD projector for the Society.  We are conducting a $2 Raffle.  lst prize - George Foreman Combo (grill, jug, toaster); 2nd prize - Princess grill.  Drawn 23/10/2004.  Tickets available from Bill Grieve 5674 2217 or Kath Bendle 5674 3272.

The winner of the patchwork quilt (donated by Trudy Jarman, Tas.) was Mary Collis.  Thank you to all who participated and to Trudy.



Drew Ginn, and his rowing partner, James Tomkins, for their Olympic gold success in the Men's Coxless Pairs in Athens.  We salute you - well done!


We also congratulate Kath Murphy, Leongatha Historical Society, who has been awarded the Royal Historical Society's Order of Merit in recognition of her major contribution to the Society's work over many years.



"Eagle's Nest Settlement 1920s" - 1948 from T.G. Allen


Compact disk - pictorial from Ken Howsam.  

Thank you to these donors.

In Issue 89 (July 2004) mention was made of a visit to Inverloch of John and Joy Ramsden.  John's father was a patient in "Pine Lodge", then a NAVY Rehabilitation Hospital.  We have received a note from Jack Penney (Wonthaggi): "I remember the Ramsden who was a patient at "Pine Lodge".  He was a Chief Petty Officer or an equivalent rating, who survived the sinking of the "H.M.A.S Yarra" in the Mediterranean in World War II.  He and others spent some time on a life-raft before being rescued, and Ramsden came out of the ordeal with snow white hair although only in his 30s."  Thank you to Jack Penney.

We remind members that subscriptions are now due.  We do need your support.  If you have not yet joined now is the best time!

October 2004

This month, Bob Sartain will speak on early steam railways in Victoria.  Bob has been a member of "The Australian Railways Historical Society (Victorian Division)" for 30 years, is a member of our Society and author of the publication "Murder in Inverloch".  All are welcome to attend and hear Bob.

Last month in lieu of our normal meeting we went on a visit to some of the coastal towns in South Gippsland.  We travelled in Ross Wise's bus and throughout the trip Eulalie Brewster, our local historian, gave brief historical commentaries on significant places.  Our first call was to Townsends Bluff, then to Mahers Landing and Pound Creek before heading off to Tarwin Lower and to Venus Bay beach.  After morning tea at the R.V. Fisher Park, we drove on to Tarwin Meadows, the original property of George Black who bought the Tarwin Run from Edward Hobson in 1851.  Black extended his holding to cover 100 square miles from Cape Liptrap to Cape Paterson.  On arrival at the Meadows, we were met by Colin McMicking, the present land‑holder, who came aboard and spoke to us on the history and features of the farm.  Black had cleared the land and drained the swamps and planted it with strawberry clover.  He bred cattle and horses as horses were in great demand in Victoria due to the gold rush.  He had two sons, Murray and Archie, who took over when he died in 1902.  They continued to develop the property and virtually established a small township on it - a dairy, butter & cheese factory, butcher, blacksmith, orchard were included.  Houses were provided as most workers lived on the property and a school and teacher were provided.  They later broke into share-farming.  Colin then gave us an escorted tour - the drainage system is still functioning today and some of the buildings are still evident.  After thanking Colin, we headed to Bear Gully.  After lunch on the beach, we visited Cape Liptrap and walked to the lighthouse and viewed steep rugged cliffs.  On arrival at South Walkerville, the tide was in and we were unable to visit the old lime kilns.  Nothing daunted!!  Eulalie had brought a photographic display of them for us to view - some locals left the beach to look at them too!

A brief visit to North Walkerville and we were on our way home.  Ross had a diversion for us he said, and after a short drive we arrived at "Tullaree", a once luxurious mansion owned by Jeannie and Margaret Clements.  Jeannie died and Margaret became a recluse, the property deteriorated and in 1952 she disappeared.  Extensive searches were made but she was never found and murder was suspected.  The case received much publicity.  An inquest was held in 1980, but with no proof, an open verdict was recorded.  Then we turned homeward feeling we had spent a very enjoyable and interesting day.  Our thanks to Ross Wise, Eulalie Brewster and Ruth Tipping for their contribution to make it so!  Recommended reading for more detail on places mentioned above "Not Enough Grass to Feed a Single Bullock" (published 1989) by Rod Charles and Jack Loney.

Christmas Hamper Raffle

We would appreciate donations of goods for the hamper.  It would help if they could be brought to this meeting to enable Kath Bendle and Bill Grieve to organise the hamper.  Tickets will be on sale at the Meeting.

Dates for your Diary


24th November 2004 - General Meeting - No meeting in December;


1st December 2004 - Inverloch Name Day Anniversary;


31st December 2004 - Historic Inverloch walk 9-11 am from Community Centre;


2nd January 2005 - IHS display at Morning Market Angling Club;


3rd January 2005 - Historic Inverloch walk 9-11 am from Community Centre;


8th February 2005 - Inverloch Proclamation Day


March 2005 "Magnat shipwreck Venus Bay walk (date according to tide).

Have you paid your membership subscription for this year??  We need your support. If you have not yet joined now is the best time!

Venus Bay, Walkerville and Cape Liptrap is an area known for gales, wild storms steep rugged cliffs and rocky outcrops.  A setting for many shipwrecks and loss of lives over the years.  In 1862, the "Reindeer", a schooner, left Geelong with a cargo of sheep bound for Hobart.  Later she was seen hugging the coast but disappeared.  Searches were held.  George Black of Tarwin Meadows had sighted her off Cape Liptrap one evening flying distress signals but she had gone next morning.  Several sheep and some wreckage were washed up on some islands and it was deemed she had foundered.  In 1901, some 39 years later, fishermen walking on the rocks under Cape Liptrap stumbled on the remains of a sailing vessel which was later identified as the "Reindeer" (from "Wrecks along the Gippsland Coast" by Jack Loney).

November 2004

The speaker this month is Janine Murphy (McBurnie) who will speak about Anderson Inlet and show aerial maps, taken whilst working on her thesis for her Masters degree in Environmental Science at Deakin University. Janine currently lectures in environmental management in the School of Ecology and Environment, Deakin University. A Christmas afternoon tea will be held at the conclusion of Janine's talk. Could you please bring a plate of goodies to share? Sandwiches and drinks will be supplied.

 Bob Sartain spoke on early steam engines and railways at last month's meeting. In England, an experimental stationary engine was built and then in 1829 a line was built from Manchester to Liverpool and they offered a prize of 500 pounds to the locomotive with the best performance. This was won by George Stephenson with "Rocket" which reached a speed of 40 mph. Speed records were kept by England and in 1937 "The Mallard" reached 126 mph. In Victoria, in 1854, a train ran from Flinders Street to Sandridge (Port Melbourne). Behind the engine, a truck carried the Regimental Brass Band. Later in the Engine Shed, they held a large banquet with Governor & Lady Hotham and 200 invited guests present. Victoria was the first State to have steam locomotives. Spencer Street Station was built in 1857. Early engines came from England and were very basic ‑ without a cabin but had a windshield with portholes and the driver and fireman were open to all kinds of weather as they hurtled along at 80 mph. The driver wore a three piece suit and brown Derby hat. Later the engines improved and became more sophisticated and sleek looking. They burnt wood, not coal, and had big spark arresters attached. Bob spoke of the gradually spread of railway lines and stations through towns and country areas to meet the need of the goldfields and farming communities in the late 1800s. Bob's father was a watchman (Security) at North Melbourne Railway Yards in 1920 and carried a truncheon and handgun but never used them. Bob told of the catering services on the stations and developments in trains and railways over the years. We thank Bob for his talk. The tape of Bob's talk is available from our audio library.

 Christmas Hamper Raffle

We would appreciate donations of goods for the hamper. Tickets will be on sale at the meeting and in the shopping centre during December. We thank Kath Bendle, Bill Grieve and helpers for their work in organising this.

George Foreman Raffle

Result of our "George Foreman" Raffle drawn 22/10/2004.  lst Prize: Steve Evans from Moe; 2nd Prize Sue Tipping from Inverloch.  We thank the Inverloch National Australia Bank for supporting our project to obtain a projector and to all who helped both in organising and purchasing tickets.



Storm photographs from Rick Vanderburgh


"Independent" newspaper and "The Inverloch News" (1992‑3) from H Sedalies


“Herald 1974 Caravanning Guide" from Marjorie Grocott


13 Photographs (Walkerville trip) from Mardi Paul


Victorian Railways "Rules and Regulations 1919" from Bill Grieve


"The Dreamtime Book", "Maritime History of Australia" by John Bach, "Bushrangers Bold" by Frank Hatherley, "Australian Heritage by C.B. Christesen, "Port Phillip Bay" by Colin & Margaret Kerr, "Australia in the 1960s" (Rigby), “Australia for Everyone" by Osmar White (1974), "Melbourne ‑ The Water's Edge" by W.A.D. Brodie, "Historic Towns of Australia" by Philip Cox & Wendy Stacey, "Infamous Australians" by Andrew Dettre, Greg Keith, Penny Walker, and "The Australian" by Bill Wannan from Hilda & Albie Grieve.

Thank you to these donors!

Dates for your Diary


Wednesday 1/12/2004 Inverloch Name Day Dinner, Chinese Restaurant


Sunday 2/1/2005 Angling Club Market Stall


Monday 3/1/2005 9 am Historic Town Walk with E. Brewster


Friday 7/1/2005 9am Historic Town Walk with E. Brewster


Wednesday 26/1/2005 IHS General Meeting.



Home ] Up ]

Copyright © 2000 Inverloch Historical Society
Last modified: April 04, 2003